The Student Room Group

Harris Westminster 2018 Offer Holders

Scroll to see replies

Original post by HWSF Senate
I think it’s really hard to be prepared for it completely. I would say just make sure you know your stuff and when in the exam, read the questions properly and think of what they want the answers to be and try to incorporate as much bio in your answers to really show off your ability in that subject.

Hey thanks do you have any notes for biology for the test
Original post by SaDe7
Name: SaDe7
Subjects studying: Maths, Chem, Bio, Physics
Test + interview score: 568
Age/birthday:15 (March 10)
Interests:Gaming, Sports, Memes (Breathing, Eating and Sleeping are overrated who'd want that)
Other places applied to: Burlington Danes (Just those two)
Higher Education choices: Medicine at Oxford/Imperial/UCL/QMUL/Kings

how much do you have to know and how hard is the exam and how would you recommend preparing for the exam
I’ve heard a lot of mixed reviews about this school and Idk whether to go there if they accept me. A lot of students from there say that they treat the students like robots and many of them are very unhappy. The entry process is very long and the results aren’t that high as well. Is what they say true?? I don’t want to make a bad decision if I choose this sixth form
Original post by sara.m12
I’ve heard a lot of mixed reviews about this school and Idk whether to go there if they accept me. A lot of students from there say that they treat the students like robots and many of them are very unhappy. The entry process is very long and the results aren’t that high as well. Is what they say true?? I don’t want to make a bad decision if I choose this sixth form

Do realise that former student’s opinions are based on their experiences and their friend’s. This is obviously not representative of how other students feel about the school. Of course we are overworked but that’s simply how it should be. You can’t expect to reach your dreams without working hard and honestly, I wouldn’t expect a sixth form that does not push students beyond their capabilities. To put it bluntly, your experience is what you make out of it. Teachers are generally there when you need help or when you need someone to talk to. The school has really improved on dealing with people who are experiencing stress with studies as this is the age where students often feel the most stressed. It’s part of life and you learn from it from the experiences you will gain during your A Levels.
Original post by HWSF Senate
Do realise that former student’s opinions are based on their experiences and their friend’s. This is obviously not representative of how other students feel about the school. Of course we are overworked but that’s simply how it should be. You can’t expect to reach your dreams without working hard and honestly, I wouldn’t expect a sixth form that does not push students beyond their capabilities. To put it bluntly, your experience is what you make out of it. Teachers are generally there when you need help or when you need someone to talk to. The school has really improved on dealing with people who are experiencing stress with studies as this is the age where students often feel the most stressed. It’s part of life and you learn from it from the experiences you will gain during your A Levels.

Thank u for answering
Reply 585
How did everyone find today's exams?
I literally did not study at all and I really regret it because my maths exam was very unsatisfactory ☹️. I won't be surprised if I don't get in just fir that exam
Original post by Silmi
How did everyone find today's exams?
I literally did not study at all and I really regret it because my maths exam was very unsatisfactory ☹️. I won't be surprised if I don't get in just fir that exam

Yeah the maths exam was quite hard. What did you get for the quadratic equation? And were you able to do the last question?
Reply 587
I didn't finish the quadratic equation, I got most of the answer but I left the end and ran out of time. What was the last question? Was it the one with circles or the folded paper?
Reply 588
the quadratic equation was with the fraction right?
Original post by Silmi
the quadratic equation was with the fraction right?

Yes. The last question was the one about surds. What did you get for the folded paper question?
Reply 590
Original post by Zodzod
Yes. The last question was the one about surds. What did you get for the folded paper question?

I'm 99% sure I got it wrong but I think I got 10cm
Reply 591
Oh and the surds question I said the square root of 72 was bigger and I worked out the square root but I didn't get to show what the value of the fraction would be. I think I got 8.4 or 8.5 for the square root of 72.
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 592
What did you get for those questions?
Original post by Silmi
I'm 99% sure I got it wrong but I think I got 10cm

I got 35cm...

One side was 30cm and the other 20cm. You need to fold until the area is 75cm^2. You also fold on the shortest line of symmetry. So after 1 fold one side is 20cm and the other 15cm. After a second one side is 15cm and the other 10cm. After a third one side is 10cm and the other 7.5cm. 7.5 +7.5 + 10 + 10 = 35cm
Original post by Silmi
What did you get for those questions?

For the last question the only managed to simplfy the square root of 72 to 3 root 8. Anyway, do you think you did well enough to get in?
Reply 595
I'm really not sure because maths went terrible and physics went really well- I finished so early. How did you think you did?
Reply 596
I gavemy maths gcse last year so I've forgotten quite a lot and I'm doing further maths but I haven't had to do the same type of questions which is really annoying, but oh well. What other subject did you choose for the exams?
Original post by Silmi
I gavemy maths gcse last year so I've forgotten quite a lot and I'm doing further maths but I haven't had to do the same type of questions which is really annoying, but oh well. What other subject did you choose for the exams?

I did history as well as maths. For me, despite the source being challenging, the test went very well (I think got about 85%-90% on it). I think that I've done enough to get an interview. We'll see...
Reply 598
Original post by Zodzod
I did history as well as maths. For me, despite the source being challenging, the test went very well (I think got about 85%-90% on it). I think that I've done enough to get an interview. We'll see...

Well done. Seems like you're on way to receiving an interview. Don't know if I can say the same about myself.
Original post by Silmi
Well done. Seems like you're on way to receiving an interview. Don't know if I can say the same about myself.

Thanks... but I feel like I've only got about 70% in maths though... this may sound cruel, but I hope that most people did badly in it! Most people on TSR found the maths paper hard, so that's good! 😁

Quick Reply

Latest