The Student Room Group

Appealing for a third attempt on a assignment

dp
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by kjn1994
i am having trouble appealing for a third attempt on a assignment i completed.
i have contacted my student union to see if they could sit in a meeting with me but, they are unable to.

i appealed on the basis of different examiners feedback did not match however this is the judgement of the examiners and can not appeal against their feedback.

therefore the options given to me are,

excentuating circumstances

if you have a medical illness

that there has been an error in the examiners marking

that policy and procedures when marking are incorrect

which leaves me without a reason to appeal and therefore being rejected.
i would be unable to prove other factors on why i failed my submission and just unsure on what to do?

Which year are you in?

Does your law department have a student advice clinic?

It would seem to me you have been unsuccessful because you didnt do well enough due to academic reasons.

It desnt look like they made a mistake in marking or procedures, which puts it down to.

Extenuating circs or medical illness. To get these heads through you need evidence like a doctors note. Neither of these seem to apply although if youd asked 4 months ago I would be telling you to back yourself up by going to the GP.

Stress, anxiety, depression, loneliness etc can all be used to support medical illness claims.

Presumably you have already talked to the advisors in the SU?

If it is your first year then do not be surprised if they withdraw you. It will tell you in the student handbook what happens. If it is your first degree and first year then you could apply for a different degree. If its second year or later then this option isnt available.

If I could think of a way out I would. Try the student advisor and if you have any friends who are law students, then get them to have a look and you can give them the full details. Sorry I cant say anything more positive.
Reply 2
Sounds to me like it’s doubtful to come back positive - when applying for an NEC (excentuating circumstances) there has to be prior evidence to this (ie doctors notes dating back to prove an illness or said problem)
The other factors don’t apply here (as it would be up to the union to bring these forward), it sounds like they might just have to fail you.
If this is the case then start looking into other possible unis that take on students in your situation (clearing or otherwise) and see what takes your fancy, better to be prepared than not
Reply 3
I am in first year and this is the only assignment that i have to resubmit for a third time. all in my pad document i have very positive feedback and have never failed one exam or assignment before.

if i get a doctors note with my anxiety medication on it and proof that i have been getting cbt for my ongoing anxiety will that come through ecs?

thank you for your advice!
Original post by 999tigger
Which year are you in?

Does your law department have a student advice clinic?

It would seem to me you have been unsuccessful because you didnt do well enough due to academic reasons.

It desnt look like they made a mistake in marking or procedures, which puts it down to.

Extenuating circs or medical illness. To get these heads through you need evidence like a doctors note. Neither of these seem to apply although if youd asked 4 months ago I would be telling you to back yourself up by going to the GP.

Stress, anxiety, depression, loneliness etc can all be used to support medical illness claims.

Presumably you have already talked to the advisors in the SU?

If it is your first year then do not be surprised if they withdraw you. It will tell you in the student handbook what happens. If it is your first degree and first year then you could apply for a different degree. If its second year or later then this option isnt available.

If I could think of a way out I would. Try the student advisor and if you have any friends who are law students, then get them to have a look and you can give them the full details. Sorry I cant say anything more positive.
Original post by kjn1994
I am in first year and this is the only assignment that i have to resubmit for a third time. all in my pad document i have very positive feedback and have never failed one exam or assignment before.

if i get a doctors note with my anxiety medication on it and proof that i have been getting cbt for my ongoing anxiety will that come through ecs?

thank you for your advice!

It would certainly give you a chance, although you would have to say the reason you failed was because you were so anxious/ had mental health issues and this caused you to do poorly on the submission. You didnt mention it till now because you thought you could cope and didnt ask for help.

Any evidence you have of previous visits to the Dr etc will help you.
The letter needs to say x has been treated for T months/ years an has X issues. This affects or this could affect her studies y... then examples. It needs to link the anxiety with the essay. You need a plausible story and they will also want know why it didnt happen in other subjects.

I suppose you say it just made you so nervous that the period for the resubmission just overwhelmed you and thats how you misinterpreted the feedback. You really needed to have gotten it checked.

The difficulty is with submission of an essay they have to decide whether it was because you were academically unable or whether the anxiety etc played a significant role in you failing. You have to construct a plausible narrative.

I do warn you that they are quite strict and they could/ likely withdraw you.
You dont have anything to lose though.

Maybe pay a decent third year law student to write it to assist and help you write the appeal. Nothing to lose.

In the event you are withdrawn then have known other nurses who have reapplied and got on other courses or you still have funding for another degree if this is your first one.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending