The Student Room Group

Best a levels for investment banking

I have received numerous offers for sixth forms and I have come to the point where I really have to finalise my decision on what A-levels to study. I really want to study economics at oxbridge, LSE, UCL or Warwick. Here are the subjects that I am definently taking next year:
Maths
Further maths
Economics

I am really confused as to what I will pick for a fourth subject. Some have told me that I need to throw in a science although I really don want to do this as I dont feel like I can hack both further maths and a science. Some have told me to pick a softer subject as I already have the most desireable a levels you can do for economics at these universities. I am currently doing psychology GCSE and I am on track to getting an A* in it so I will have prior knowledge in it and I know that I enjoy it. Also, I think its like 35-40% of the A-level content is in the GCSE spec. One of my teachers told me to consider government and politics. Its not considered as soft as psychology but I have no prior knowledge in the subject so I cannot tell if I will like it or not.
So which one do you think I should do as a fourth subject:
Psychology
science
Government and politics

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I personally wouldn't do a fourth - unis only look at ur top three. If you do tho, do something you love, even if it isn't useful, almost as a relaxing or casual choice. TBH though, four is a large workload, u'd do better to just focus on 3 :smile:
Remember that universities only require 3 A levels for an application. If you need to double check your options, I know Oxbridge prospectuses suggest preferred subjects in their prospectuses. Also, check TSR groups and revision videos for a look into content! I would offer more but maths is definitely not my area of expertise. Just some broader advice. Best of luck :smile:
Original post by 11gharg
I personally wouldn't do a fourth - unis only look at ur top three. If you do tho, do something you love, even if it isn't useful, almost as a relaxing or casual choice. TBH though, four is a large workload, u'd do better to just focus on 3 :smile:

LSE is one of the only unis that desire a fourth. Also Further maths is desired as a fourth subject there so it is pretty much pointless taking it if I am to take 3. The other unis value further maths as a regular subject so it would be risky not taking four...
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by barror1
Remember that universities only require 3 A levels for an application. If you need to double check your options, I know Oxbridge prospectuses suggest preferred subjects in their prospectuses. Also, check TSR groups and revision videos for a look into content! I would offer more but maths is definitely not my area of expertise. Just some broader advice. Best of luck :smile:

LSE states on their website that doing just maths and economics is not desired as much as it "doesn't prepare you for the course".

Translation: If I am going to make myself a strong applicant at a school with an 8.9% acceptance rate then I would have to take four which include double maths and economics. I have to take four in order to stand a chance, I just need to decide on what the fourth is.
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by tedgfbtebfetedfb
LSE is one of the only unis that desire a fourth. Also Further maths is desired as a fourth subject there so it is pretty much pointless taking it. The other unis value further maths as a regular subject so it would be risky not taking four...

Hmmmm... government and politics may help you to show context around your area of speciality a little further. Sciences are quite intense courses so make sure the extra workload will be ok with your studies if you want to take it!
Reply 6
why dont you take business? it is a very easy subject and LSE accepts it. A friend got in with business maths and psychology
Original post by tyson69
why dont you take business? it is a very easy subject and LSE accepts it. A friend got in with business maths and psychology

Business is considered as a "soft subject" which is bs because its very useful and applicable to everyone in real life. Also it overlaps with economics. LSE, Oxbridge and UCL all say on their websites to not take overlapping subjects and they all use economics and business or psychology and sociology as examples. I do GCSE business and I really enjoy it and am hoping for an A minimum. Was initially hoping for an A* but coursework might f*** up my end grade as I only scraped an A in the coursework.
Reply 8
Business is considered as a "soft subject" which is bs because its very useful and applicable to everyone in real life. Also it overlaps with economics. LSE, Oxbridge and UCL all say on their websites to not take overlapping subjects and they all use economics and business or psychology and sociology as examples. I do GCSE business and I really enjoy it and am hoping for an A minimum. Was initially hoping for an A* but coursework might f*** up my end grade as I only scraped an A in the coursework.

Well, then I think your best option would be psychology as sciences is too much and not really relevant to economics and government and politics sounds kinda boring, at least for me
Computer Science might be good as I've seen new Jobs popping up that require coding
Original post by Mr_Robot
Computer Science might be good as I've seen new Jobs popping up that require coding

The best sixth forms I applied to dont offer computer science so thats kind of a bummer. I'm doing the GCSE and I'm decent at it. I'm getting like 60/80 which is a 4 in my schools dumb boundaries. Computer science would be good but its very difficult and i'm struggling at GCSE level so I will probably struggle at A-level. You can always take a part time qualification at coding anyway if it becomes really needed in the future. My only sixth form option I will have if I chose to take on computer science is my current school and there is no way I am going to stay here for another two years. They had 0 oxbridge offers for the last two years!
Original post by tyson69
Well, then I think your best option would be psychology as sciences is too much and not really relevant to economics and government and politics sounds kinda boring, at least for me

Yeah I agree mabye. Which courses are you taking?
I have received numerous offers for sixth forms and I have come to the point where I really have to finalise my decision on what A-levels to study. I really want to study economics at oxbridge, LSE, UCL or Warwick. Here are the subjects that I am definently taking next year:
Maths
Further maths
Economics

I am really confused as to what I will pick for a fourth subject. Some have told me that I need to throw in a science although I really don want to do this as I dont feel like I can hack both further maths and a science. Some have told me to pick a softer subject as I already have the most desireable a levels you can do for economics at these universities. I am currently doing psychology GCSE and I am on track to getting an A* in it so I will have prior knowledge in it and I know that I enjoy it. Also, I think its like 35-40% of the A-level content is in the GCSE spec. One of my teachers told me to consider government and politics. Its not considered as soft as psychology but I have no prior knowledge in the subject so I cannot tell if I will like it or not.
So which one do you think I should do as a fourth subject:
Psychology
science
Government and politics

There is no such thing as the "best A-levels for banking". Study what you want (looks like you're going for the typical meme of an Economics degree from your first couple subjects), apply to and get into top universities doing whatever academic subject you want then hit the ground running with applying to schemes (there are competitive A-level insight programs banks run)/networking/learning more about the industry.

Posted from TSR Mobile
The best sixth forms I applied to dont offer computer science so thats kind of a bummer. I'm doing the GCSE and I'm decent at it. I'm getting like 60/80 which is a 4 in my schools dumb boundaries. Computer science would be good but its very difficult and i'm struggling at GCSE level so I will probably struggle at A-level. You can always take a part time qualification at coding anyway if it becomes really needed in the future. My only sixth form option I will have if I chose to take on computer science is my current school and there is no way I am going to stay here for another two years. They had 0 oxbridge offers for the last two years!

Trust me if you're getting 60 out of 80 that's at 7 and 8 level. Hope everything goes as planned.
Hi,
I do Maths, Further Maths, History & Economics at A Level and I'm currently in Year 12. I started off the year with the intention of applying for Economics at LSE, which was a factor in deciding my A Level choices. Honestly, I don't think it matters too much what your other A Level choice is as long as your maths side is strong- they want an A* for LSE. The guidance on the website on typical subject choices for straight Econ is 'Economics; Physics; History; Chemistry; English and Government and Politics, of which Economics, History, English and Government and Politics are good indicators of writing ability'. Also, for that course 3 subjects are sufficient so you don't have to take another subject for the sake of it.
Yeah I agree mabye. Which courses are you taking?

history maths business and spanish, already got offers for economics and management
Original post by tyson69
history maths business and spanish, already got offers for economics and management

Congrats on your offer!!! where you studying this degree?
Congrats on your offer!!! where you studying this degree?

i think im leaning towards glasgow uni cuz im an EU student but still not sure
Original post by tyson69
i think im leaning towards glasgow uni cuz im an EU student but still not sure

Well done man you got into a good russel group uni! Have you thought about what you are going to do when you leave uni?
Well done man you got into a good russel group uni! Have you thought about what you are going to do when you leave uni?

yea, I would like to study Msc Finacial Economics at LSE and afterwords start working in London. wby?

Quick Reply

Latest