The Student Room Group
Students on campus, Nottingham University
University of Nottingham
Nottingham
Visit website

Life on Jubilee Campus, Nottingham

I have been accepted to study Computer Science at Nottingham, but having just attended the offer holder day I am somewhat disappointed with the Jubilee campus there. While Uni Park seems full of life, Jubilee feels very isolated and dull. Sure, it is more modern but nothing seems to be going on there. For example on Uni Park there is a big outdoor screen showing movies, or even little things like outdoor chess sets which Jubilee doesn't have make a difference for me. (these are just the impressions I got on the day, which may or may not be accurate).

While the teaching and department of CompSci at Nottingham are fantastic, and academically they are probably the best out of my options, having only 3 subjects taught on the Jubilee campus while everything else is located on Uni Park puts me off going.

Being so segregated from the rest of the university just feels wrong to me and gives me a bad impression of the place. If anyone who has or knows what it is like to live on Jubilee Campus could tell me how it is to live there that would be great.
Original post by yvorah
I have been accepted to study Computer Science at Nottingham, but having just attended the offer holder day I am somewhat disappointed with the Jubilee campus there. While Uni Park seems full of life, Jubilee feels very isolated and dull. Sure, it is more modern but nothing seems to be going on there. For example on Uni Park there is a big outdoor screen showing movies, or even little things like outdoor chess sets which Jubilee doesn't have make a difference for me. (these are just the impressions I got on the day, which may or may not be accurate).

While the teaching and department of CompSci at Nottingham are fantastic, and academically they are probably the best out of my options, having only 3 subjects taught on the Jubilee campus while everything else is located on Uni Park puts me off going.

Being so segregated from the rest of the university just feels wrong to me and gives me a bad impression of the place. If anyone who has or knows what it is like to live on Jubilee Campus could tell me how it is to live there that would be great.

Isn't there a frequent shuttle bus between UP and JC a few seconds away from the CS Building?

Also, UP <-> JC is well within cycling distance.

I'll move this to the Nottingham subforum and hopefully a student will answer your question in more detail :borat:
Students on campus, Nottingham University
University of Nottingham
Nottingham
Visit website
Original post by yvorah

Can't help with the current student aspect, but I was quite disappointed with the offer-holders day as well, as previously I was hoping to make it one of my choices but wasn't at all impressed :frown: that being said, there are buses that run regularly between the two campuses and I know that university park campus is easily walkable, as is the town centre - I guess you probably already know this but there's also a sports centre on Jubilee so that's a bonus :smile:
I have a friend at Nottingham uni who studies business and therefore has her lectures on Jubilee Campus. However, like you she was worried about the lifelessness of Jubilee so she lives in Accommodation on the University Park campus and gets the bus or walks across to Jubilee. She says it’s very easy and not too much of a hassle.
I graduated from Nottingham in 2015. Jubilee campus is nice but everyone I knew that lived there complained about it a lot and wanted to be on uni park. Have you looked at Broadgate? That's where the real exciting living is anyway. But I would also say, you'll probably only be living in uni accommodation for year 1, so don't let it influence your decision too much as once you're living off-campus where you stayed in first year won't matter anymore.
Reply 5
It really depends what you're after. I lived on Jubilee Campus in first year and had a great time. The catered halls are a close knit community and you will meet a lot of different people simply attending dinner in the Atrium or hanging around your halls! It's not quite as lively as UP, but more compact and dense so you won't have a compromised experience.

It is true that there is less going on with societies and SU presence here, but there has been talk of implementing a new SU hub on this campus for a few years. Unfortunately any such introduction will be lost on me, but as a new student, you may get to experience this. Additionally, a lot of the new features on UP are very recent additions - the screen in fact, and the whole amphitheater on the hill outside Portland Building, are new additions over the last few months. I would not be surprised if Jubilee gets similar innovations in due course.

If you're still worried though, the two campuses are very close - just a 25 minute walk, 10 minute cycle or 5 minute Hopper bus ride. Any socials you wanted to attend on UP would not be difficult to travel to, and indeed most second and third year students travel further from their student houses in Lenton, so it just goes to show. You could of course live on University Park and commute to Jubilee for your course, if you are concerned - again, this is an easy option :smile:
Original post by yvorah

Hey how was your first year at nottts? :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending