The Student Room Group

Car Accident. Advise and is it my fault?

Driving early on today in city centre.
Approaching a set of traffic lights, can see a car speeding up behind me from a distance. Im getting into the correct left lane as i clear the traffic lights on amber, look in my mirror and its clear and move across.

Car behind me goes left also and I end up clipping his drivers door. He was going very fast and in liklihood skipped the red light and for sure over the speed limit of 30. Got out and it was a taxi driver who claims he was in a rush to get a client.

exchanged numbers and said I would call him later, took pictures of the damage which wasnt massive and we both agreed that lets get some quotes on both and see what the damage is before we make a decision

A few hours later, ive been inidated with calls from his insurance or claims. I rang him up and he said its out of his hand and its up to his work for the insurance.

I guess its my fault for clipping him. But he was also breaking the law in regards to speed and possibly skipping light.

To make matters more confusing I dont know where i stand with
Fully comp insurance, im a named driver on churchill, and my father has NC protection

I guess excess only. But would you contest? is this 50/50 or is it simpy all my fault. Im not so sure when looking over the facts. Would love to know what people think
It sounds as if he overtook you on the inside after going through a red light, in which case it is his fault. If there were two lanes turning left and you cut the corner and used the lane to your left then it is your fault.
Reply 3
Original post by Good bloke
It sounds as if he overtook you on the inside after going through a red light, in which case it is his fault. If there were two lanes turning left and you cut the corner and used the lane to your left then it is your fault.

I guess its hard to prove he went through a red light. But he did speed for sure. Im unsure whose at fault tbh but he did try overtaking me on the left
First of all, never admit fault, leave that to your insurers. Because your story implies both of you are at fault, but once you've admitted fault it's game over.

Second, if he ran a red then tried a dangerous overtake then yeah, your insurer would fight your corner, they can't do this if you tell anyone it's your fault.

Third, get front and rear dashcams.
Reply 5
Just tell them what happened / fill in the forms as you experienced it. Think you will have to leave the insurance companies to judge the blame here. Sounds like he was driving like an idiot and you may have made an observation fault.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending