The Student Room Group

Will I miss out on the University experience if I commute

I am going university in September to do an ODP course at Edge Hill. I thought driving back and forth to uni would be wiser as I only live 30 minutes away from the campus but also the course involves a 6 week placement in the first year which is most likely to be in my home town. My parents believe I should live at Uni to gain the "uni experience" and it will help me make more friends. I am not opposed to living in halls however my student finance doesn't cover it all and i will not be getting any help.
I have many friends that go to the university already and have offered me their floor if i wanted to go out in the town with them and their friends. I'm just so confused and need a little advice on whether the university experience is worth the dept.
Any advice or personal experiences will be deeply appreciated!
Thank you!
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by lauramadison
I am going university in September to do an ODP course at Edge Hill. I thought driving back and forth to uni would be wiser as I only live 30 minutes away from the campus but also the course involves a 6 week placement in the first year which is most likely to be in my home town. My parents believe I should live at Uni to gain the "uni experience" and it will help me make more friends. I am not opposed to living in halls however my student finance doesn't cover it all and i will not be getting any help.
I have many friends that go to the university already and have offered me their floor if i wanted to go out in the town with them and their friends. I'm just so confused and need a little advice on whether the university experience is worth the dept.
Thank you!

Hi,
So this is quite a understandable concern to be having. I personally didn't do either in my first Year at University as I lived Privately in a Professional house (couldn't commute or afford halls) and I will be honest there is both positive and negatives of staying in halls.

I think there is definitely a "Uni Experience", and I'll be honest this is beyond that of drinking and parties, rather is it learning to live for yourself, balancing income and your needs. However depending on what you would like to gain from this experience depends on what you'll like to make from it.

In terms of weighing it up, my advice would be to really pro-con it as clearly there is some obvious benefits to living at home or uni, however its really what you want which is most important. And really just make the most of whichever you choose!

I hope this helps,

Tom :smile:
Third Year Psychology and Student Ambassador.
Original post by lauramadison
Thank you!

Depends what kind of university experience you want. If you want the quiet life then home is usually better. If you want nights out, meeting lots of people, going to societies then its usually easier to do all this living out.

If you do decide to commute to the university do be warned that you need to apply for a parking permit to commute by car and even then it isn't a guarentee of a space.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending