The Student Room Group

Jekyll and Hyde- "Quote a day"

just wanted to say this inspired by @Lemur14 who i give all the credit for :smile:
as you know, gcses are coming close upon us and i thought this would be a good way to revise. i'll try and post a quote a day with a brief analysis, but you're free to post any quotes too:biggrin:
(i'm hoping this doesn't flop)

today's quote is:
"he gave an impression of deformity, without any nameable deformity"
enfield says this about hyde on his walk with utterson in chapter one.
this reinforces the level of ambiguity that surrounds hyde- his physical appearance is rarely described in the novel and so the reader continues to be curious about him. the fact that the deformity cannot be specifically described may mean that evil looks different to everyone.
this sentence may also be seen as irrational and may show a lack of understanding of evil; interesting considering the fact that victorians hugely valued rationality. stevenson may be trying to say here that we (the victorian readers specifically) do not fully understand what goes on 'behind closed doors'.
(edited 4 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Glad I inspired you! Is lovely to see one of these for a more popular text :yep: Hopefully this will be accordingly more popular :laugh:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Lemur14
Glad I inspired you! Is lovely to see one of these for a more popular text :yep: Hopefully this will be accordingly more popular :laugh:

Posted from TSR Mobile

thank you!:biggrin:
second day! need to remember to post so i can get these quotes in my head.

"instantly the spirit of hell awoke in me and raged" (chp. 10)
this is when jekyll is talking about his transformation into hyde, then the murder of carew.
"awoke" suggests that jekyll has been suppressing his dark side for a long time, and in this duration he has desperately wanted to let this side out, thus this side waking up "instantly"- already we can see her a slight imbalance between hyde and jekyll, though jekyll may not have realised it a this point. the verb "awoke" also suggests that he gave hyde life and energy through the horrifying act of murdering carew- it's what he thrives on; dark acts like these. "hell" and "raged" could be possibly linked; "hell" emphasises the character of hyde (pure evil), but we can also link this to the verb "raged" which gives an impression of uncontrollable evil + anger- it's likely that hyde didn't like being suppressed for sustained periods of time.
third day!

"he- i cannot say i. that child of hell had nothing human"

this now represents jekyll's wish to disconnect from hyde- previously he referred to hyde as himself also but as this chapter progresses, jekyll seems to be growing more disdainful. it's possible that at this point he's trying to gain power of hyde by stating that he and hyde are not the same person, as we know that hyde grows in power as jekyll gets more sick. obviously, this sentence isn't enough but this could also perhaps highlight his desperation as he realises that his nature may become permanently overthrown; he'll say anything to have a clutch on this power.
"that" further emphasises this disdain and wanting to disconnect from hyde.
"nothing human" reflects hyde's animalistic nature and rage- even jekyll acknowledges that there was something rather derogatory or degenerated in him. referring to hyde as a "child" however may be implying that hyde had not be given time to fully 'grow and develop'- perhaps in time he would have become 'less evil' as he begins to understand the world better- was his rage reasonable in this sense?
day 4 (i think i missed yesterday whoops)

"i sometimes think if we knew all, we should be more glad to get away"

this is one of the final things lanyon says to utterson before he dies. we could believe that this quote has connotations to the role of god, or a creator, which would relfect nicely in jekyll, as he has created a new being through the use of science and other apparitions. it's possible that jekyll also feels the same way as lanyon, especially as hyde continues to grow in power and he becomes increasingly weak.
lanyon, of course, has witnessed hyde's transformation to jekyll, which had a dramatic impact on his wellbeing. however this "province of knowledge" that hyde promised him has affected him negatively- he sees the world and people differently now. he cannot cope with the potential idea that everyone has evil within them- as it also means that he himself has this potential. furthermore, the discovery is also very likely to send him into shock and could also serve as a warning by the writer of blissful ignorance to this extent.
him dying (eventually) means he's able to "get away" from this idea, which is what he wants.
This is a genius way of revising, nice work!! :biggrin:

You're making me want to pick the book back up and give it another read, been years since i last flicked through it.
Original post by Evil Homer
This is a genius way of revising, nice work!! :biggrin:

You're making me want to pick the book back up and give it another read, been years since i last flicked through it.

thank you so much! :love:
you should definitely give it another read:smile:
day 5 (should be 7 but my memory's horrible:redface:)

feel free to post your own quotes! i'd love to hear other people's ideas!

"it's so hard to say where one ends and another begins"
this is said in chapter one in reference to jekyll's house. this can be linked to the theme of duality, foreshadowing the concept of a later character and the fact that jekyll and hyde live within the same 'body'- we could also link this to the fact that jekyll and hyde are more alike then we realise, to the point where hyde is able to use this to his advantage and have the upper hand over jekyll. for example, jekyll knows hyde is evil yet he still chooses to transform into him.
day 6
"it was the curse of mankind that these two incongruous ******s were bound together"

incongruous- out of place in the surroundings etc

jekyll blames mankind in general for good and evil being so tightly linked together- perhaps we could link this to the biblical story of adam and eve and eve succumbing to the temptation and eating the forbidden fruit. "bound" suggests that it must have been very difficult to separate good and evil, which perhaps could give reason to the struggles that jekyll faced when transforming to and from hyde. if all of mankind perhaps contains good and evil, maybe it wasn't right for jekyll to try and separate the entities, thus the imbalance between him and hyde started. he says it's a curse for having these two entities so close together however this may also be due to how hard it is to resist the temptation of transforming into hyde- he couldn't stand it.

he blames mankind- perhaps hyde feels this disdain as he himself isn't exactly human; hyde's emotions may have been coming into play when jekyll was writing this statement. the use of past tense may reflect jekyll's efforts to set out and change this idea of good and evil being so close together.

(any other quotes? would love some other ideas, even if the analysis is a line or two!)
(please tell me if i could format this better! i tend to go off a tangent when analysing- though i am aware people are reading this:wink:)

day 7 woo, it's been a week!:rave:
"that ugly idol... i was conscious of no repugnance- this too was myself"
jekyll seems to find hyde rather fascinating upon looking at the reflection- perhaps a disgusted fascination as used with the contrasting words 'ugly idol'. at this point in time, jekyll has no qualms about seeing himself and hyde as the same person though this could be down to the initial fascination eg. like a science investigation.which was jekyll's original intention.
'idol' could already suggest a slight power imbalance- he's already beginning to worship or give power to hyde.
day 8

"comparing my active good will with the lazy cruelty of their neglect"
here, jekyll is being a hypocrite- he's done nothing good or worthy of praise recently- transforming hyde is certainly not something that one would consider 'good will'. this may be hyde's opinion/entity coming into force as he sat on that park bench- perhaps his mind is so warped that what he thinks he's doing is good.
i believe 'neglect' could be linked to the fact that they are not indulging in their own deep, dark desires like jekyll is- they're neglecting that side, therefore, hyde, being the manifestation of all these deep and dark things sees it as 'cruel' and neglectful.
Just popping in to say you're doing a great job on this :yep:
Original post by Lemur14
Just popping in to say you're doing a great job on this :yep:

thank you!:biggrin: i'm finding this quite enjoyable tbh:love:
Original post by entertainmyfaith
thank you!:biggrin: i'm finding this quite enjoyable tbh:love:

That's great! I need to revive mine now I'm back from holiday lol

Posted from TSR Mobile
I like this, and am studying Jekyll and Hyde for GCSEs so will definitely follow!
Original post by Koalifications
I like this, and am studying Jekyll and Hyde for GCSEs so will definitely follow!

thank you:smile: feel free to join in if you have any good quotes!:love:
please do more!! these are really helpful :smile:
Original post by juliaskrz
please do more!! these are really helpful :smile:

i've been so busy recently, but i'll have one (or maybe two) up tonight:smile:
please post your quotes if you have any!:love:
day 9
"between these two, i felt i had to choose"
we are shown jekyll's true struggles and how tempting evil is to him- surely it would be a no brainer to drop hyde, as he's the evil entity, but as said later on (or before) jekyll would be conscious of what he had lost. that's why he feels like he's being forced to choose- he'd sorely miss the freedom he got as hyde as well as the chance to be able to indulge in his desires. perhaps the act of being forced could also be hyde taking control/power thus jekyll feels at a loss.

Latest

Trending

Trending