The Student Room Group

This girl is better than me?

I have a house mate and she's great but everyone seems to holder up like she's incredible. Incredible body, etc.

I feel like everyone loves her and always compliments her and no one ever compliments me, I know I shouldn't look fo it but it makes me feel like crap. Makes me feel like she has the biggest body, im too skinny or whatever...
If I am as great as her, why wouldn't people say?

How do I stop thinking like this and feeling like crap :frown:
Original post by beccaroady
I have a house mate and she's great but everyone seems to holder up like she's incredible. Incredible body, etc.

I feel like everyone loves her and always compliments her and no one ever compliments me, I know I shouldn't look fo it but it makes me feel like crap. Makes me feel like she has the biggest body, im too skinny or whatever...

You have to try and think differently. I get what you mean. It's hard to feel confident in yourself if people are complementing someone else constantly instead of yourself but maybe think of ways that you can complement yourself. I know its not quite the same but whenever I used to feel down, I would make a mindmap of all the things that I thought were good about me. I would stick that on my wall and it would remind me that I was good at stuff and I didn't depend so much on what other people say about me but rather I concentrated on what I thought of myself. Hope this helps x
Reply 2
Original post by beccaroady

If there is one thing I learned from therapy, it's not to compare one's self to other people, as it will dramatically decrease one's self esteem. People compare themselves to others everyday, mostly subconsciously and even the smallest comparisons can have a dramatic effect on one's mental well-being.
Dishing out for complements is a natural instinct as it can boost one's self esteem, but seeking for them and not getting them is bad for you as you will feel bad and think that you don't look amazing or whatever.
The only thing to help you in that case is to go around, wear something you feel pretty in, then you will feel more confident in yourself and that confidence will begin to show. If your conscious of your figure, the only thing you can do is either find a way to love your body, or start exercising. You have probably heard this a lot, but exercise is honestly amazing and can help you feel so much better; take it from someone who has been suffering from depression for 6 years now. (Best forms of exercise: Crunches, running, cycling or boxercise)

Don't blame yourself for looking the way you are. You probably are stunning too, but what you can do is become a kind hearted person and start complementing or helping others and make their day, then they'll do it back too, but don't be helpful for a selfish reason- Do it because it will make you feel happier.

I don't know if that was useful, but I hope you feel better soon! :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending