The Student Room Group

MOT History

Hi, I have recently found a 2009 ford fiesta that I would like to purchase. When looking at the MOT history of the car, there is no information before the first failed mot this month and another mot that was passed a few days later.Why would there be no history on the MOT before this?
May have been of the road so not mot needed but it does seem a bit dodgy Pm me the reg number, i can take a look if u like

[scroll]:auto:[/scroll]
Reply 3
Original post by m_nter
Hi, I have recently found a 2009 ford fiesta that I would like to purchase. When looking at the MOT history of the car, there is no information before the first failed mot this month and another mot that was passed a few days later.Why would there be no history on the MOT before this?

If you know the car's registration you can view it's full MOT history online: https://www.check-mot.service.gov.uk/
Original post by m_nter
Hi,
I found a 2009 Ford Fiesta for sale. When I was checking the details of the car, there was no MOT history before this year where it failed the first time and then passed a few days later.

Why would there be no MOT history before this point?

The first MOT is due exactly three years after the vehicle was first registered.

If the first MOT was in 2009, then the car should have been first registered 3 years earlier in 2006, meaning the registration plate will start xx06 or xx56.

It could also mean that the vehicle was involved in an accident where the insurers wrote-off the vehicle. This could be a class C or class D write-off which means the car was still deemed safe for repair but was not economical for the insurance company to pursue. Subsequently the vehicle was sold and repaired by an independent workshop, given a new MOT for road safety and was then sold on.

Another reason is that the registration plate is from a different vehicle?

It's important to pay for an HPI or RAC check which will tell you the full history.

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/470496/buying-repaired-written-off-vehicles.pdf
(edited 6 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending