The Student Room Group

Calling all new spec 2017 alevel chemistry and biology a* students

What did you do and how did you do it????
How did you approach practical revision ???
how many hours did you put in a day????
good revision sources????

Preferably AQA but all valuable input is welcome this question is directed towards people who sat the new a level biology spec last year not AS!!
Reply 1
Original post by alevelssss
What did you do and how did you do it????
How did you approach practical revision ???
how many hours did you put in a day????
good revision sources????

Preferably AQA but all valuable input is welcome this question is directed towards people who sat the new a level biology spec last year not AS!!

past papers are your new bestfriend.
you'll have no social life lmao
i was extra and did 12 hours during any holidays alternating between the 3 subjects
usually on the weekends i'd do the rule of 8 (8 hours work, 8 hours of chill, 8 hours of sleep)
after school i'd work from 17.00 to about 21.00 and go to sleep around 22.30 and get up at 4.00 to revise in the mornning till about 7 before school (this is defintely not needed) my brain just works better in the mornings.
Chemguide and chemrevise is what i used the most
I didnt really use much for bio just did a lot of past paper q's and ensured i knew how to answer everything wanted in the spec
I did AQA chem and bio and walked out with A* A* B (B in psych, hardly put in as much work as i should have).
i just want to highlight that this is definetly not needed to achieve A*s, i really enjoyed my sciences so i just did extra work and reading around the subjects
Original post by riya89
i was extra and did 12 hours during any holidays alternating between the 3 subjects
usually on the weekends i'd do the rule of 8 (8 hours work, 8 hours of chill, 8 hours of sleep)
after school i'd work from 17.00 to about 21.00 and go to sleep around 22.30 and get up at 4.00 to revise in the mornning till about 7 before school (this is defintely not needed) my brain just works better in the mornings.
I didnt really use much for bio just did a lot of past paper q's and ensured i knew how to answer everything wanted in the spec
I did AQA chem and bio and walked out with A* A* B (B in psych, hardly put in as much work as i should have).
i just want to highlight that this is definetly not needed to achieve A*s, i really enjoyed my sciences so i just did extra work and reading around the subjects

Multiple Choice Questions are hard how did you get past it. Furthermore, if you have any multiple choice practice questions please post it.
Reply 3
Original post by riya89

Hey,
Thank you so much for answering my question and I just want to say congratulations on the amazing grades you got shows how hard work really pays off. Thank you so much for all your advice will definitely be using it in the next few months.I would really appreciate if you answered a few more questions that are bit more specific
For biology
How did you revise for essays and how did you structure your essays?
What kind of past paper resources did you use?did you use any other than old spec and new spec and did you go to other exam boards?
How did you revise practicals???did you any empa and isa papers
For chemistry
How did you approach paper 3 revision as it’s very practical based? How did you revise for practicals? Any empa and isa Papers
Again thank youuuu for all the advice and the amount of hours you put IMO aren’t excessive as it’s kinda necessary for A*’s especially considering it’s new spec.
Reply 4
BUMP

Quick Reply

Latest