The Student Room Group

Unemployed / underemployed since 2015 with a first class degree in physics

I graduated in 2015 with a first class BSc in physics. I also published my project research in physica status solidi, a journal for materials science (co-author with my supervisors). I graduated at 27 and I'm 30 now. I have AABB at A level, including 90% in A level Mathematics. I have 5A*s, 2A and 3C at GCSE, dating back to 2004. Currently I'm enrolled on an MSc as a way to pass the time, but it isn't working out well (I have made another thread about this).

I applied for quite a few graduate schemes but was unsuccessful for them all. I got through to the last stage of one in the NHS scientist training programme, but I think my shyness and lack of confidence might have cost me at the panel interviews. I got through to the analyst interview at British Airways but again, there were more polished candidates. I've been rejected from everything except minimum wage roles and teaching roles. In fact, one agency wanted me to teach a GCSE class, even thought I have no teaching experience. I didn't have the confidence to do it. For the past few years I have done exam marking work alongside some other minimum wage work and been studying my MSc, which I may have to interrupt due to the volume of work. I applied for graduate medicine in October but received my last rejection letter in February. I think my UKCAT score was the reason as one section let me down quite considerably, wheras my other sections were above average. I've considered nursing as well.

I need inventive solutions to my problem as at 30 I feel I can't afford to lose more time. I think if I could get some really good experience, full time or as an internship, then that may be enough to propel me forwards. I've looked into other postgraduate courses but they are so expensive and often cannot guarantee me a job at the end.

Is anyone else in this kind of situation?
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by thenoob.2018

You seem to be applying all over the place, Physics, Maths, NHS science, BA, graduate medicine, nursing .... you simply can't be credibly competitive in all these areas. You need to pick a sector, and focus on developing a credible profile, step-by-step, to make a career in that sector. The answer seems to be, just get a job that starts off a career path. I know that's not easy, but you aren't getting internships, settling in higher ed, managing to change direction etc, so it's no more difficult that any of that.

Decide a path that both your heart, your confidence and your previous experience can deal with. Then work backwards from the 'dream job' and work out what steps might be needed, and what the entry point to that might be. For example, and I don't have much to go on, and might be in the wrong direction but 'Research Physicist' might be an end goal - they need a knowledge of physics, they don't have to be uber confident, they need to comfortable in an academic environment, so it seems a reasonable goal.

So now, work backwards and think how to get there. A PhD isn't he only way, think about the technical route, Technical Assistant, which starts off as an entry level Lab Tech (job titles may vary, that's part of the job research).

Now, where do you look for those jobs? Research companies, pharma, technology etc, but you want physics which reduces commercial opportunities (unless you go for engineering side, in which case manufacturing might open up) and leaves Universities. Do you live in/near a University? What about your undergrad Uni, nothing a Uni loves more than recruiting it's own graduates. Stalk Uni jobs pages and begin to learn what sort of jobs turn up.

It might not be Physics that is your focus. But broadening really only happens when you have time and financial support behind you. When you are under pressure of time and earning, then you need to focus and work out the small steps you need to take.
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by threeportdrift
You seem to be applying all over the place, Physics, Maths, NHS science, BA, graduate medicine, nursing .... you simply can't be credibly competitive in all these areas. You need to pick a sector, and focus on developing a credible profile, step-by-step, to make a career in that sector. The answer seems to be, just get a job that starts off a career path. I know that's not easy, but you aren't getting internships, settling in higher ed, managing to change direction etc, so it's no more difficult that any of that.

Decide a path that both your heart, your confidence and your previous experience can deal with. Then work backwards from the 'dream job' and work out what steps might be needed, and what the entry point to that might be. For example, and I don't have much to go on, and might be in the wrong direction but 'Research Physicist' might be an end goal - they need a knowledge of physics, they don't have to be uber confident, they need to comfortable in an academic environment, so it seems a reasonable goal.

So now, work backwards and think how to get there. A PhD isn't he only way, think about the technical route, Technical Assistant, which starts off as an entry level Lab Tech (job titles may vary, that's part of the job research).

Now, where do you look for those jobs? Research companies, pharma, technology etc, but you want physics which reduces commercial opportunities (unless you go for engineering side, in which case manufacturing might open up) and leaves Universities. Do you live in/near a University? What about your undergrad Uni, nothing a Uni loves more than recruiting it's own graduates. Stalk Uni jobs pages and begin to learn what sort of jobs turn up.

It might not be Physics that is your focus. But broadening really only happens when you have time and financial support behind you. When you are under pressure of time and earning, then you need to focus and work out the small steps you need to take.

Yeah I know what you're saying, but I can't even get an internship or a bit of work experience. I get rejected from everything apart from retail, temping work, exam marking etc. I have been treading water for years. I need that essential bit of experience to use as a springboard but I can't seem to get anything. This is why I went for the grad schemes as if you get lucky you get some valuable experience, but it was all to no avail. I applied to medicine because it has always interested me, but my UKCAT let me down.

I don't want to work in physics (I got rejected for lab technician jobs too). I'm actually on an MSc at the moment but will likely interrupt, if you want me to explain why? I could actually do with some advice on that separate issue.

I found shipping or logistics to be quite interesting and applied for roles in those but again, no experience and my graduate profile doesn't match up against those with fancy internships and top universities.

Thanks

I suspect we need to get into details that ought not to be on a public site. If you want to open a thread in CV Help, I can take a look at your CV and we might be able to piece together some stronger options.
I suspect we need to get into details that ought not to be on a public site. If you want to open a thread in CV Help, I can take a look at your CV and we might be able to piece together some stronger options.

I will give it a go but how does this work exactly? I am (by my own admission) rubbish at writing CVs so general advice won't get me very far. Ideally I would like someone to help me produce a one page CV and we could tailor it to a specific role like data analyst. Is that something you could help with?
I will give it a go but how does this work exactly? I am (by my own admission) rubbish at writing CVs so general advice won't get me very far. Ideally I would like someone to help me produce a one page CV and we could tailor it to a specific role like data analyst. Is that something you could help with?

Yes, I can do that, though you have to give me enough material to work with! OPen a thread in the CV Help forum, the forum will look empty, because you can only see threads you have started yourself. Then only you and I can see the thread, so you can upload your CV as a Word doc, preferably with a job description for me to work from, and then I'll see what I can advise.
Yes, I can do that, though you have to give me enough material to work with! OPen a thread in the CV Help forum, the forum will look empty, because you can only see threads you have started yourself. Then only you and I can see the thread, so you can upload your CV as a Word doc, preferably with a job description for me to work from, and then I'll see what I can advise.

Thanks, I will upload something for you soon in that case. I had been busy with an assignment and a general lack of energy.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending