The Student Room Group

Year 13 prom dress

I have prom in a couple of months and I’m wanting to buy my dress to get it out of the way before exams, I don’t want to get it from anywhere hugely popular because I don’t want to risk wearing the same thing as somebody else. I’m willing to pay up to £100 however the cheaper the better!! Does anyone have any website recommendations?? Also I don’t want a full on typical long prom dress, something short and classy would be preferred
I got mine from John Lewis.
Try buying a vintage dress?
ax paris, boohoo, missguided, pretty little thing, debhanams, quiz
Hey!

Okay, now this is gonna sound like its totally against everything you've ever heard, but have you considered buying one from a (reputable!) Asian retailer? After all, no one will have the same dress as you if its from thousands of miles away!:biggrin: I really recommend Yesstyle which stocks clothes from lots of different brands. I got my Year 11 and Year 12 prom dresses from there and they were both fine! :smile: I also just shop from there a LOT because - once you've found what brands can and can't be trusted on Yesstyle - then you're golden!

HOWEVER, please do exercise some caution! These are my golden rules which I've found out after a lot of trial and error.

IF IT SOUNDS TOO GOOD TO BE TRUE, IT PROBABLY IS!!!! - Totally the number one rule! we've all heard loads of horror stories of dream dresses for £20 from the far east arriving looking like a year 7 textiles project. So be a little realistic as there are even bad eggs on a trustworthy website like this. That said, you can still get some fairly good bargains and most dresses are well within your budget! A good indicator of legit-ness can be found if you...

Read the reviews - as a general rule, I only buy things that have reviews of them. However, if you find a dress you like without reviews, then...

Check the store's reputation - when on the item page, look to the far right of the screen next to the item name and it will say 'more from [brand name].' If you click that, all items from the brand will be available to view, as well as the average customer satisfaction percentage in the top left hand corner. Mine were both from Angel Bridal, but Bridal Workshop, Sennyo, Rosita and Remme are a good few brands to start with!

Check the measurements - very important! these measurements often differ greatly within their stores, so measure yourself first and then compare. For example, I am a size 10 in the UK and in some Yesstyle stores that's a medium, but I once had to get a XXL! be very careful this way!

Check how long it takes to come - they will tell you if it is in stock (dispatch in 24 hours), coming soon (dispatch in 3-5 days), or requested stock (dispatch in 7-14 days). Remember to factor together the dispatch time and the delivery time. On the plus side, delivery is usually free over £25 and there's always deals on!

Check the returns policy - make sure you understand the returns procedure. It's actually pretty painless compared to a lot of other sites but just make sure you're prepared to send it back if you don't like it, just in case!

Um yeah! So that's my very long guide to online shopping for prom dresses if you do decide to do a bit of Asian prom dress shopping.

Whatever you decide to do, I hope you find something you like! :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending