The Student Room Group

Medical work experience

Hi, I am 16 and currently studying for my GCSEs this coming summer!
I want to go into medicine and am wondering what volunteering work or work experience I could do at my age??
I am open to anything, working in a care home to following a doctor!!
Thanks, Ceíra😃
at 16 you can do work experience or volunteering in most places, but there may be a few limits (e.g. you won't be able to do volunteering involving personal care, or work experience in observing practical procedures/surgery). Other than that, just look up some hospitals or care homes near you and see if there's anything you'd like to apply for. Keep in mind that you may want to leave volunteer applications until summer if you want to focus on your gcses right now instead of a 'job', but the sooner the better in terms of applying for short term work exp programmes.
Reply 2
Original post by CeíraCasey
I want to go into medicine and am wondering what volunteering work or work experience I could do at my age??
Thanks, Ceíra😃

Hey! Work experience is definitely a great way to get involved in the field and demonstrate your interest. Volunteering at most elderly care homes should be doable. Also if you have any family who work as nurses or doctors you may want to reach out to them for help on arranging a shadowing/observation experience. Honestly the best way to do it is to visit a hospital or care home in person and show how interested you are :smile:

I have a youtube channel where I discuss university and medical school related topics. Feel free to take a look and ask more questions in the comments there

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCeo...8JiQ9DTuhOVz5g
Original post by CeíraCasey
Thanks, Ceíra😃

Hi Ceíra,

Many hospitals, GPs and care homes will have their own minimum age requirements (for example, some may be 18+ and some may require parental consent if you are under 18), so we'd advise first of all checking with your local hospitals to see if you can undertake work experience there!

If you can't seem to find anything directly related to medicine, it's good to remember medicine is all about other key skills like teamwork, communication and people skills - and you can easily develop these skills through volunteering placements, which may be more open to those under eighteen. You can find out more about volunteering placements here - and here's our guide on how to apply volunteering experience to medicine!

You can also see exactly the kinds of work experience medical schools look for on our Medical School Work Experience Requirements page.

Hope this helps! :smile:
The Medic Portal

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending