The Student Room Group

What starting salary would you want after you leave uni?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Blos
Isn't pounds worth more than dollars? $90k should be like £64k I think

yup 90k in dollars turns out to 63 something, but when I said 90k you guys probably thought I meant pounds which turns out to 123 something thousand
Original post by susu66s
I meant 90k in dollars, more like 63k in pounds oops😂 but I guess it’s possible because if you intern somewhere and they like yor work, they could offer you a job at the place. What are you thinking of doing degree wise?

Well if you're talking the US then things change massively. In the UK you wouldn't get £60k in any profession right after graduating. Investments banks don't even pay that much to graduates.
Original post by unigoer123
Well if you're talking the US then things change massively. In the UK you wouldn't get £60k in any profession right after graduating. Investments banks don't even pay that much to graduates.

I’m talking about the US but I’m pretty sure in the UK that could happen too if the individual was qualified ?
Original post by Blos
Really curious to what people would like to make with the degree they are going for.

Thinking about getting a apprenticeship with RAF but if i go uni then i'd be happy with anything between 18-21k as a starting salary.
What I'd like £500K. Would afford me a house near center of London within 2 to 3 years.

What I'll get... maybe £35K

What I need... probably no more than £20K. I'm not a big spender on things that have no ROI.
Reply 25
Original post by Jang Gwangnam
Thinking about getting a apprenticeship with RAF but if i go uni then i'd be happy with anything between 18-21k as a starting salary.

That's what I was thinking but after seeing people's response I think I'm aiming too low
Reply 26
Original post by NonIndigenous
What I'd like £500K. Would afford me a house near center of London within 2 to 3 years.

What I'll get... maybe £35K

What I need... probably no more than £20K. I'm not a big spender on things that have no ROI.

What a dream 500k would be
Original post by Blos
That's what I was thinking but after seeing people's response I think I'm aiming too low

It all depends on the career you wish to go in. Some pay huge amounts of money while others are just so-so in terms of income.

Tbh i grew up in a poor family, so as long as the starting salary got benefits; then its at the same level as my old man's (he ain't got any benefits).
think i'll get between 20-24,000 as a physio which imo is far too little.
Reply 29
Original post by tomnelson_
think i'll get between 20-24,000 as a physio which imo is far too little.

What would you like
Original post by Blos
Really curious to what people would like to make with the degree they are going for.

I would just like to get a job that pays enough for me to live comfortably. With the job I would likely be able to get directly after graduation, it would be between £21-£23K, though the average salary is about £27K. I may go onto further education if I feel up to it, which may lead to a higher paying career, especially after gaining some experience. I just want a job that I can enjoy and I can do well!

Whatever degree or university someone has/been to, I'm surprised people are expecting high salaries immediately (if they even manage to get a job) when they have no hands on experience of the job. No point giving someone a high salary when their ability to do the job is lower than their colleagues.
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 31
Original post by Jang Gwangnam
It all depends on the career you wish to go in. Some pay huge amounts of money while others are just so-so in terms of income.

Tbh i grew up in a poor family, so as long as the starting salary got benefits; then its at the same level as my old man's (he ain't got any benefits).

Fair enough
With all due respect to nurses more than them, 26,000 rising to 30,000 after three years.
Original post by susu66s
Oh wait hold up I was saying 90k as in dollars not pounds😂pounds turns out to 126k and that’s a lot for starters.

Ok first of all, it's an absolutely ridiculous assumption to assume that we're talking about the US dollar currency here instead of British pounds, so I haven't a clue in a world why you originally said "90k" without mentioning that it's 90k dollars not pounds, and then acted surprised when someone got confused. Surely you didn't think that anybody would think that you meant dollars instead of pounds... Secondly I don't know who on earth promised your brother $90k as a graduate job, but they were clearly talking bs. The average salary for e.g. a Software Engineer ranges between $65k-$75k in the majority of states in the US. The average graduate salary for Computer Science graduates are around £28-£38k or $39k-$53k.
Reply 34
im doing law so 30k would be nice.
Original post by Clutch A
Ok first of all, it's an absolutely ridiculous assumption to assume that we're talking about the US dollar currency here instead of British pounds, so I haven't a clue in a world why you originally said "90k" without mentioning that it's 90k dollars not pounds, and then acted surprised when someone got confused. Surely you didn't think that anybody would think that you meant dollars instead of pounds... Secondly I don't know who on earth promised your brother $90k as a graduate job, but they were clearly talking bs. The average salary for e.g. a Software Engineer ranges between $65k-$75k in the majority of states in the US. The average graduate salary for Computer Science graduates are around £28-£38k or $39k-$53k.

Yikes don’t come for my life, I totally forgot 90k doesn’t equal 90k in pounds until like moments later which is why I changed my statement. And actually lotssss of companies do, you just have to find the right one.
I would off liked 25k, but am getting just under 21k which is okay.
I'm in my final year for computing and just accepted a grad position for £31k. I'm over the moon with this as I don't exactly come from a family of means. (This is outside London as well...so more money to save aha)
Reply 38
Original post by Travisty
I'm in my final year for computing and just accepted a grad position for £31k. I'm over the moon with this as I don't exactly come from a family of means. (This is outside London as well...so more money to save aha)

That's great! Congrats
Original post by Blos

Russell Group Uni person here. Expecting 30k minimum. People I know in even better unis are expecting closer to 40k, the lawyers and bankers about 50k.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending