The Student Room Group

Uni Attendance Monitoring

My university department doesn't monitor attendance. Well, they say they don't, but I do often wonder if they have a secret way to monitor it other than the old fashioned paper register. I'm curious to know if lecturers, when marking coursework and exams, look at your attendance record for their module, and award a grade based not only on your performance in the assessment, but also on if you have a bad/good attendance record? If lecturers did do this, would this be unfair on the student? Obviously, they would be reducing a student's otherwise well deserved mark because of their poor attendance? Therefore, the overall grade the student gets might not reflect their true ability?

Does this happen in your university?

What do you think?
Original post by sueright
My university department doesn't monitor attendance. Well, they say they don't, but I do often wonder if they have a secret way to monitor it other than the old fashioned paper register. I'm curious to know if lecturers, when marking coursework and exams, look at your attendance record for their module, and award a grade based not only on your performance in the assessment, but also on if you have a bad/good attendance record? If lecturers did do this, would this be unfair on the student? Obviously, they would be reducing a student's otherwise well deserved mark because of their poor attendance? Therefore, the overall grade the student gets might not reflect their true ability?

Does this happen in your university?

What do you think?

We have to scan our ID card every lecture. People get around this though by giving their card to someone else to scan for them. Attendance won't affect the grades you get on assignments or anything.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending