The Student Room Group

Can't decide what to drop after these AS results...:(

well I'm in lower sixth, i've done my first January AS modules. i do English Lit, Maths, Economics and History and i did 5 Exams and i got the following results:

History: 1 paper=C 2 paper= U
Maths: Core 1 = A
English = A (Just scrapped it)
Economics = C

I originally put down to drop Economics first. then i changed my mind to english, becuase i might do economics related at uni. But after these results...I'm thinkin i might keep english now...and drop history or something.

That would leave me with english, maths and econ and i don't know if that would be alright becuase i might do PPE at uni aswell. I mean, should i worry about these AS grades?

Oh yeah, along with that A in English, Ive been told i got a good A in my coursework aswell...so that just leaves one exam for summer for english.

i really don't know what to do :frown: anyone got any suggestions?

sorry this is so long...thanks anyways! x
drop history.
Congratulations on the english and maths!
Yes, I agree that it's best to drop history.
Reply 3
Don't drop english when you're good at it!! Resit your history, get a decent grade in that.. And you don't have to drop any of them!
Don't drop just yet. Wait till after June and your retakes, you might bring it up, you never know. I think this is too early to think about it now, just get your AS results in the summer and then decide.
Reply 5
EvilSheep
Don't drop english when you're good at it!! Resit your history, get a decent grade in that.. And you don't have to drop any of them!

yeah i would do 4 A levels but my sixth form wont let us do 4 a levels, its really annoying. so i have to drop one and my sixth form needs to know quite early what we need to drop, its so early it sucks but, they said they're doing the time tables for next year already :frown:

i was thinking about dropping history but...i do like it and i got an A* at GCSE, i don't know what went wrong :s-smilie:

Alot of my other friends got some poor results too, even ones who got straight A*s at GCSE...i don't know whats happened this January.

Yeah i might keep english then. But i just thought, i might do Economics or PPE at uni, i just thought History, Maths and Economics would be a nice combo for that. You reckon English, Maths and Economics would be ok?

Thanks everyone! :smile: ... anyone else got any other ideas?
^ Which English are you studying? It's just that Lit. is generally better-respected than Language. :smile:
Reply 7
I'd personally drop History. It's a pain and hard to get a good grade in. English, Maths and Economics are still perfect subjects for PPE!
Reply 8
I'd personally drop maths..

Your school cannot say you can't do 4 A' levels, that's holding students back..
Just retake your history, and see how you do in the summer

EDIT: just read you can't do 4 as-levels (gay or what lol) just drop history...
I'd advise dropping either economics or history, and basing your decision on whichever one you believe you will have a harder time improving your marks at.
Reply 11
I'd drop the History, Its better to stick with ones you know your good at and obviously you adjusted to those examinations well.
Reply 12
DROP HISTORY! it just gets worse at A2 level!!!
Reply 13
xximstrongerthanthatxx
EDIT: just read you can't do 4 as-levels (gay or what lol) just drop history...

I think the OP means his school won't let him do 4 A2 levels.
Either don't drop any, or drop history.
Reply 15
Let me guess.... History was done with AQA..? Wait until the official result confirmation. You can always ask for a re-mark or get the paper back; maybe something went wrong.
Reply 16
Despite my love of Economics, I will tell you that you don't need it for an Economics-related degree. Maths is much more important.

As for History, it does get harder, so that might be something to consider. Those were your worst grades, and at the end of the day you need to get the best grades possible. If you do drop History, all the analytical skills you get from that subject will likely be covered by English so you won't be losing out in that respect.
Reply 17
Yeah, i know i don't need Economics for an Economics degree, but if i drop it, won't unis ask why i dropped it if i was interested in economics?

I'm definately keeping maths.

I'm still not too sure, but thanks guys anyway...

Latest