The Student Room Group

Architecture or real estate

I am very passionate about real estate and property development but I feel as though I have talent to succeed in something further such as architecture. The goal is definitely property but in the future I would like to design my own buildings etc so I’m not sure whether to study the real estate course which is my passion or do the architecture which does not interest me as much right now but would be better for me in the long term. I don’t want to waste my time or do a course I don’t enjoy. Any advice ??
There's two sides to this, the first being that you would be able to go into real estate/property development after studying architecture, but you would not be able to go into architecture after studying a real estate course. So if you know you want to be designing buildings in the future, give architecture some consideration.

However, the flip side is that architecture is an immensely demanding course and those who survive it are usually only the ones who are truly passionate about architecture and who can keep convincing themselves of that for the full 7 years. In other words, it's not the course to take if you're not interested in it.

What is it about both real estate and designing buildings that interests you? Do you see yourself in one profession more than the other? As for the courses I assume that real estate is very much focused on the business/financial side of the industry, and is therefore very different to architecture which is highly creative and heavily studio/coursework-based (as opposed to lecture/exam-based), so what kind of course appeals to you more?

Also bear in mind that you can still do things like property renovations to sell on without having studied architecture, so you'd still be able to design your own buildings in that sense.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending