The Student Room Group

Estel's 2018 Summer Bucket List!

Hello TSR!

After having so much fun finding things to my summer break last year (and not basically sit there the entire time and accomplish nothing - which is typically what happens!) and I thought, why not join in again?!

So I am! :thumbsup::thumbsup:

I might re-use some of the goals I didn't fully complete last year into this list, but this year's summer bucket list is 90% new and exciting things! So much has happened since last year's competition, and I really want to reflect that in my goals. Rather than have most of them centred around searching for something to do, I want them to be more "this is what I want to do and explore my interests more because I (Should) know what I'm doing."

As I did last year, I'll colour code my bucket list, with:

Green: Complete

Amber/Orange: In Progress

I would add red to show incomplete tasks, but that will most likely be later on, plus if I've not started any of the quests, what's the point in adding in that I haven't started them?!

So without further ado, here's the 2018 Summer Bucket List: (Updated 17/7/2018)

Apply for Work Experience with Penguin Random House

Get my results from my Classical Civilisation re-sit exam (A level Results day 2018):crossedf::crossedf: Idealistically I need higher than the B-grade boundary to get my overall grade up to a B - which is the minimum requirement for most of the archaeology courses I've been looking into. Wish me luck! I know I'm more than capable of achieving this given I averaged an A on this paper for 99% of my second year of Sixth Form, it's just a bad paper in the real exam meant my grade went from A to D...

Complete a virtual 5K - (And bonus: Beat that time)

Marathon Series 1 and 2 of Westworld

Complete an hour of Just Dance every day for one week.:dance:

Get to the Final Assassination in Assassin's Creed: Origins. I've had this game since it came out, but haven't had the time to complete the main story yet. So. Many. SIDEQUESTS. :facepalm:

Go to the cinema with a group of friends (1+). Most of my friends went to University this year so we've not seen each other, and I really want to get back in touch with them :smile:

Get to Gym Level 5 workouts on Nerd Fitness. I found an awesome website earlier this year that's been helping me get fit by having you complete "Boss Battles" to increase your workout intensity. I've been stuck on Level 4 for a while, and I want to get past this current Boss, which is called Thunderlord Oversquat. :crown:

Complete a Dungeons and Dragons session with friends. We've been getting into the series in the last couple of weeks, and we're currently trying to organise a campaign.

Complete the KCL Ancient Languages Summer School: There's a week-long summer school hosted by KCL (who swap every other year with UCL) to learn ancient languages such as Latin and Ancient Greek. It'll also be the first time I'll be in Lonon on my own - the last couple of times (Hamilton, the Last Leg, etc) have been with family. So Yay for independence!

Go to the Mischief Movie Night in July: It sounds a little strange, but it's really an improv show run by some of the original cast of The Play That Goes Wrong. I have front row seats so I can't wait!:thumbsup:

Finish at least ten books: I haven't read as much as I want this year, and this should be a way for me to rectify that.

Spoiler

Volunteer/Complete a 5K at Park Run: It's the 250th event at my local Park Run in June, so I want to be there (I missed the celebrations for the 200th)

Visit a Museum: I'd love to spend some time going around some of the museums in London that I've never visited before (and not just keep going to the Imperial War Museum every time I'm there.) I'd love to maybe visit the British Museum and take some time looking into the exhibits that I might not have previously considered - a different time period such as the earlier Egyptians (even the Old Kingdom!) or perhaps visit the Tower of London (shush, it counts!) Like Pompeii and Vesuvius that I visited last year, it's always been somewhere I've wanted to visit - and as this year's travelling has been non-existent, this is a great excuse to get back into ticking more places off my list of historical places to visit!

The 100 Squats for 100 days challenge: This is pretty self-explanatory, you do 100 squats every day for 100 days. I'm going to start this on May 26th, meaning I'll finish on September 3rd - a little bit out of the time frame for the competition, but meh - it's still a challenge I'm willing to undertake!

Complete 5 different Free Online courses (MOOCs)

Spoiler

Apply for a Job/volunteering position (bonus: Get one!)

Improve my Italian Via Duolingo

Apply/Get a job/volunteering position.

Things I would like to do but haven't got planned anywhere:

Complete an archaeological dig: I've found one in Nottingham where you have the option to volunteer for a day, and I've been keeping an eye on the Dig Hill 80 campaign in Belgium - I've been considering being part of the latter, but there's no way I can get to Belgium on my own (as I can't drive... Whoops)

A Family Day Out in Legoland. We went in 2011, but my dad was working abroad when we did. And we've been talking about going again for months.

If not Legoland, then a family day out in general.

A couple of goals are only slightly different than ones chosen last year (E.g. Westworld marathon rather than The Handmaid's Tale) but I think it still shows me accomplishing something towards my goals. Whatever they are!
(edited 5 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

I'm so glad you're doing this again this year too!! I love the fitness goals -- the Nerd Fitness thing sounds like just about the only thing that could keep me inspired to exercise, I might look into that.

Your stretch goals sound really fun and interesting, too -- even if you can't get onto a formal archaeological dig, I'm sure TSR won't begrudge you a metal detector and a cool spade. :tongue: jkjkjk ofc but I'm rooting for you!!! You can do this!! >:0
Original post by Jinkx Monsoon
I'm so glad you're doing this again this year too!! I love the fitness goals -- the Nerd Fitness thing sounds like just about the only thing that could keep me inspired to exercise, I might look into that.

Your stretch goals sound really fun and interesting, too -- even if you can't get onto a formal archaeological dig, I'm sure TSR won't begrudge you a metal detector and a cool spade. :tongue: jkjkjk ofc but I'm rooting for you!!! You can do this!! >:0

I was one of the backers of the Kickstarter's campaign that helped to get the excavation done - and I have tickets to the findings presentation event in November. So even if I can't go then I've always got that to look forward to :smile:
You've seen Hamilton? So jealous! Was it good? Was it amazing? Is it possible to get tickets if you don't spend a bajillion pounds?

Sorry, it's not even in your bucket list. It's looks like a whole bunch of fun though. What's a viritual 5k? Does it involve any running?
Original post by AcornFalls
You've seen Hamilton? So jealous! Was it good? Was it amazing? Is it possible to get tickets if you don't spend a bajillion pounds?

Sorry, it's not even in your bucket list. It's looks like a whole bunch of fun though. What's a viritual 5k? Does it involve any running?

Don't apologise for the excuse to talk about Hamilton! And it was awesome! I was in the second row of stalls, so it's the row behind the front of the entire theatre. It meant that we were close enough that characters would wave and interact when it was something relevant (like Jefferson's introduction in Act 2).

If you want cheaper tickets, the cheapest ones are just under £40 - from what I've heard the view's even alright from the back! And then there's the Ticket Lottery on the app - if you win you get 2 tickets for £10 each for the date you select.

And a Virtual race is basically a Run that happens with like a podcast or something - you usually get medals for proving that you ran the distance (so sending in GPS maps of your run) etc.
Goal Update:
Goal 9: Play a game of Dungeons and Dragons with friends.

So I've been trying to organise a way for the group of us to firstly play D&D with them (when one of them is back from University of course), and then being able to play it while they're away.

It's proving difficult I'm not going to lie.

We've been researching websites we can use - we've found one that looks great, but we'd have to make the maps ourselves, and let's be honest: I'm a little bit lazy in the drawing regard. Our other option is to use Discord and chat that way - and just hand them a couple sets of dice when we meet next.

(and also there's the fact that one is still sitting her A level papers. We've agreed that we'll wait until her exams are over until we begin, and not just so we can write and plan a campaign.

But while that's going on in the background, I've been researching information about character creation and the basics. So we've been doing that in prep.

My friend immediately went in and declared herself a Bard... I'm blaming the memes on Tumblr. I've also persuaded her into getting Thunderwave was one of her spells; I've spent a good couple of hours watching the OutsideXbox/OutsideXtra D&D campaigns and what isn't awesome about a CUBE of lightning?!?
Original post by EstelOfTheEyrie
Don't apologise for the excuse to talk about Hamilton! And it was awesome! I was in the second row of stalls, so it's the row behind the front of the entire theatre. It meant that we were close enough that characters would wave and interact when it was something relevant (like Jefferson's introduction in Act 2).

If you want cheaper tickets, the cheapest ones are just under £40 - from what I've heard the view's even alright from the back! And then there's the Ticket Lottery on the app - if you win you get 2 tickets for £10 each for the date you select.

And a Virtual race is basically a Run that happens with like a podcast or something - you usually get medals for proving that you ran the distance (so sending in GPS maps of your run) etc.

That sounds amazing! So incredibly jealous. And I didn't realise that you can get them so cheap. I need to start looking for these ones - I'm not to fussed about the view, either, just hearing them live is good enough! I'm glad you enjoyed it :smile:

Virtual races sound cool. Shame you actually have to run with them though :biggrin:
Original post by AcornFalls
That sounds amazing! So incredibly jealous. And I didn't realise that you can get them so cheap. I need to start looking for these ones - I'm not to fussed about the view, either, just hearing them live is good enough! I'm glad you enjoyed it :smile:

Virtual races sound cool. Shame you actually have to run with them though :biggrin:

Oh I know! But I've been running them with the Zombies Run app for years. I think this is the year I finally add in the optional audio effects; it's zombie sprints, which basically add in Zombie noises through your headphones and you have to speed up for about 30 seconds to a minute to get away. Fail that 3 times and you fail that audio chase.
Goal Update:
Goal 10: Complete the KCL Ancient Languages summer school:

I sent off the application form today! I had it written up and organised earlier this week, but I wanted to hold off and double check everything would be okay if I attended. (It's fine, don't worry.)

I'm not 100% enrolled on this Summer School yet, as they need to confirm that I have a space before I do the rest (like pay the fees etc.) so it's now a slight waiting game before I receive an email - most likely early next week - to tell me whether I'm accepted or not!

(P.S If anyone else wants to apply for the Summer School, the closing date is June 18th, so there's still time for you to send in your application!)
Goal Update:
Goal 9: Play a game of Dungeons and Dragons with friends.

We're getting closer to actually playing a game of Dungeons and Dragons! I ordered the starter set and have been reading through the information included within it when I have some time, as well as watching various YouTube videos about different aspects - how to create a more believable character, etc.

As I'm the one in the group who's the most likely to be DM, I've also bought a ton of dice - there are 20 sets in that bag, and they were cheaper than just buying one set each (and by more than you'd expect!) As I'm not exactly going to do something with 20 sets of dice, I'm going to gift the others a couple of sets for them to keep. :smile:

d&D.jpg
NEW GOAL ADDED:
Complete 100 Squats for 100 days:

This goal is something I picked up from my Nerd fitness Facebook group. As there are several thousand people in this community online at a variety of fitness levels, there's always new and different challenge for both fitness and diet that are being presented.

This was one of the new ones!

I calculated that if I begin today (which I will) then I'll finish the challenge on September 2nd/3rd - something that's definitely the longest on this list - but I like it! It definitely also helps with the Nerd Fitness Boss Battle, but my Level 4 workouts don't have squats (Which were rather common in the level 3 ones!) and I missed them...

I definitely won't be saying that in 100 days time!
NEW GOAL ADDED:
Complete 100 Squats for 100 days:

This goal is something I picked up from my Nerd fitness Facebook group. As there are several thousand people in this community online at a variety of fitness levels, there's always new and different challenge for both fitness and diet that are being presented.

This was one of the new ones!

I calculated that if I begin today (which I will) then I'll finish the challenge on September 2nd/3rd - something that's definitely the longest on this list - but I like it! It definitely also helps with the Nerd Fitness Boss Battle, but my Level 4 workouts don't have squats (Which were rather common in the level 3 ones!) and I missed them...

I definitely won't be saying that in 100 days time!

(26/5) Day 1: Got 100 Squats in pretty easily; As I'm only starting out, I've been taking it slow, and doing 10-15 squats at intervals throughout the day. the muscles in my legs ached a little?

(27/5) day 2: Legs are aching a little bit more now I'm not going to lie. But then again, I'm still getting squats in! Squats are still being done in intervals, but more frequently at 15 then 10s. A main thought about the end of this is making me wonder the long-term changes I'll undertake (muscles etc) before the end of this challenge. :smile:
(26/5) Day 1: Got 100 Squats in pretty easily; As I'm only starting out, I've been taking it slow, and doing 10-15 squats at intervals throughout the day. the muscles in my legs ached a little?

(27/5) day 2: Legs are aching a little bit more now I'm not going to lie. But then again, I'm still getting squats in! Squats are still being done in intervals, but more frequently at 15 then 10s. A main thought about the end of this is making me wonder the long-term changes I'll undertake (muscles etc) before the end of this challenge. :smile:

You're doing great!! :rave:
Original post by nyxnko_
You're doing great!! :rave:

Thank you! Squats suck, and it's only day 3...
I'm getting the feeling I should've taken 'before' photos so I can see the changes at the end of the 100 days.
Thank you! Squats suck, and it's only day 3...
I'm getting the feeling I should've taken 'before' photos so I can see the changes at the end of the 100 days.

:laugh: I know... I tried a 30-day 100-squat challenge and stopped after day 9. It wasn't because it was difficult. I just got really bored doing them and it just got quite tedious... :dontknow:
Take them now! :yep: At least you'll still have something to compare to at the end of the 100 days.
small question.. what's a virtual 5K???
Original post by Ara8311a
small question.. what's a virtual 5K???

It's a 5K run but you're racing against other people doing the same within a time frame. It's usually done over an app (like the Zombies, Run! ones I've done over Halloween/Easter the last couple of years)
You're given a certain amount of time to complete the run, then you send proof that you've completed the distance (typically a screenshot of the app etc) and they'll send you the medal.
Quite a few of them now are themed - I'm signed up to do one called "Run You Fools!" based around Lord of the Rings sometime in June, and then there's the Raiders of the Lost Ark one to complete whenever I can do it.
Goal Update:
Goal 10: Complete the KCL Ancient Languages summer school:

I sent off the application form today! I had it written up and organised earlier this week, but I wanted to hold off and double check everything would be okay if I attended. (It's fine, don't worry.)

I'm not 100% enrolled on this Summer School yet, as they need to confirm that I have a space before I do the rest (like pay the fees etc.) so it's now a slight waiting game before I receive an email - most likely early next week - to tell me whether I'm accepted or not!

(P.S If anyone else wants to apply for the Summer School, the closing date is June 18th, so there's still time for you to send in your application!)

I got the confirmation email!!

:bban:

It's a 5K run but you're racing against other people doing the same within a time frame. It's usually done over an app (like the Zombies, Run! ones I've done over Halloween/Easter the last couple of years)
You're given a certain amount of time to complete the run, then you send proof that you've completed the distance (typically a screenshot of the app etc) and they'll send you the medal.
Quite a few of them now are themed - I'm signed up to do one called "Run You Fools!" based around Lord of the Rings sometime in June, and then there's the Raiders of the Lost Ark one to complete whenever I can do it.

That sounds cool. Might have to give that a go at some point... Got to admit that I'm not a big fan of running... :smile:

:party:

Quick Reply

Latest