The Student Room Group

Estel's 2018 Summer Bucket List!

Scroll to see replies

Over the last couple of days a friend of mines been coming over and playing Assassins Creed for the first time. And of course, I start her with Syndicate, my favourite.

Highlights of her commentary include:

"It's completely stopping me from being stealthy. I'm being more like Jacob Frye than Jacob Frye."

In-depth argument on how much £3 from 1868 is worth today. (spoiler it's like £329)

AGGRESIVELY HUMS THE PINK PANTHER THEME

discussions that a Modern Robert Topping would own a fedora.

*Jacob rocks up ten minutes late with Greggs*

Agreeing that Jacob thinks that Charles Dickens is on some sort of drug.

"Are you having fun watching me fail?" "It's stressing me out I'm not going to lie" "it's stressing me out!"

EDIT: I’m also changing my purple task seeing as I completed my first one - which honestly I didn’t think I’d do?
So my new task is: go to the cinema with a group of friends. (1+)

A new couple of tasks are also being added, including applying for a job and volunteering positions and improving my Italian via Duolingo.
(edited 5 years ago)
Goal Update:
Improve my Italian Via Duolingo:

So I attempted to create a streak earlier this week, which failed. I got to day 4 and forgot on day 5, so yesterday was the beginning of a new streak! Once which I intend to keep long term!

(Interesting fact: the longest streak someone has on Duolingo is over 2000 days? That's years.)

Regardless, I am moving forward to learn, and have decided to make notes like I would during my GCSE French lessons. I have used the first few pages as verb tables - both singular and plural - and will add pages following this depending on what is learned next. (e.g. clothes, food etc.)

Current Crown level: 18
Current Day streak: 2
Original post by EstelOfTheEyrie
Goal Update:
Improve my Italian Via Duolingo:

So I attempted to create a streak earlier this week, which failed. I got to day 4 and forgot on day 5, so yesterday was the beginning of a new streak! Once which I intend to keep long term!

(Interesting fact: the longest streak someone has on Duolingo is over 2000 days? That's years.)

Regardless, I am moving forward to learn, and have decided to make notes like I would during my GCSE French lessons. I have used the first few pages as verb tables - both singular and plural - and will add pages following this depending on what is learned next. (e.g. clothes, food etc.)

Current Crown level: 18
Current Day streak: 2

Day three and still heading strong!

I thought today I'd begin having a look at some of the newer sections available that I've not looked at yet, rather than constantly going over the same options over and over again.
So today it was colours. There were only 2 lessons in the initial learning, so completed some more on food. I'm getting better, and it meant I could fill in more of my information tables/ notebook where I'm keeping all of my notes. :smile:

Current Crown level: 20!
Current Streak: Day 3
Day three and still heading strong!

I thought today I'd begin having a look at some of the newer sections available that I've not looked at yet, rather than constantly going over the same options over and over again.
So today it was colours. There were only 2 lessons in the initial learning, so completed some more on food. I'm getting better, and it meant I could fill in more of my information tables/ notebook where I'm keeping all of my notes. :smile:

Current Crown level: 20!
Current Streak: Day 3

Day four of duolingo, and while I've learned anything new, I am learning. If that makes sense. I hope it does.

Instead of moving onto a new topic to get today's 30XP to continue my streak,I decided to go back to some of the 'weaker' leveled topics and improve those. And it must have worked because I earned another achievement!

duollingo 20.jpg

Current Crown Level: 20
current streak: 4
Day four of duolingo, and while I've learned anything new, I am learning. If that makes sense. I hope it does.

Instead of moving onto a new topic to get today's 30XP to continue my streak,I decided to go back to some of the 'weaker' leveled topics and improve those. And it must have worked because I earned another achievement!

duollingo 20.jpg

Current Crown Level: 20
current streak: 4

The last few days of duolingo learning have been roughly the same, so I didn't feel like they were worth reporting.
but today I hit streak day seven!

streak day 7.jpg

and here's the proof!

I've taken to doing a few tasks while watching Brooklyn 99, and I'm doing the best with the basics and animals (the simple ones like gatto for cat, but also more random ones like balena for whale)

Current Crown level: 22
Current day streak: 7
(edited 5 years ago)
The last few days of duolingo learning have been roughly the same, so I didn't feel like they were worth reporting.
but today I hit streak day seven!

streak day 7.jpg

and here's the proof!

I've taken to doing a few tasks while watching Brooklyn 99, and I'm doing the best with the basics and animals (the simple ones like gatto for cat, but also more random ones like balena for whale)

Current Crown level: 22
Current day streak: 7

So I accidentally broke my streak yesterday - on what would've been day 10 :angry:

I was so close to getting to day 10, I just had to finish 1 more lesson and would've been okay, but I spent longer playing Detroit: Become human than I'd anticipated really. But I finally finished that game, so there's that (Even if I am unhappy with one of the endings.- 100% sorry Kara!)

But I can always start again and have taken some advise I saw somewhere which was to complete lessons first thing in the morning/to be the first thing you do after getting up.

And if this ends up creating new habits, then it creates new habits!
PRH 18.png

Guess who didn't get the work experience again?! @Jinkx Monsoon
While I do think the random selection might be beneficial - if someone applies for each time for two years and doesn't receive any sort of offer/placement - then maybe change the system so after X number of applications a note is placed on the applicant's file so they can at least have some chance of it?
Just a thought, as I know several programmes that do this when applying for tickets to be in the audience of a tv show. You get there and not have space? Boom! Priority seating for your next choice.
PRH 18.png

Guess who didn't get the work experience again?! @Jinkx Monsoon
While I do think the random selection might be beneficial - if someone applies for each time for two years and doesn't receive any sort of offer/placement - then maybe change the system so after X number of applications a note is placed on the applicant's file so they can at least have some chance of it?
Just a thought, as I know several programmes that do this when applying for tickets to be in the audience of a tv show. You get there and not have space? Boom! Priority seating for your next choice.

Same here, I got nothing. :/// I really wish they'd make some sort of weighting for people who've been applying repeatedly for years -- it's so discouraging. ;;; Keep your head up though!!! They're missing out by not having you there i s2g
So I've been a lot quieter with this than I was anticipating to, and it makes me sad.

But I have been working on my goals!

I bought a PS4 as a present for whatever my resit result will end up being next week - but the downside is that I can't transfer my playthrough from my brother's console so I've has to start the playthrough all over again. While also trying to get into the Witcher 3: Wild Hunt and The Last of Us and complete everything else I want to.

Needless to say, gaming isn't the highest thing on my list right now, but perhaps it gives me more to do later.

Spoiler

So I've been a lot quieter with this than I was anticipating to, and it makes me sad.

But I have been working on my goals!

I bought a PS4 as a present for whatever my resit result will end up being next week - but the downside is that I can't transfer my playthrough from my brother's console so I've has to start the playthrough all over again. While also trying to get into the Witcher 3: Wild Hunt and The Last of Us and complete everything else I want to.

Needless to say, gaming isn't the highest thing on my list right now, but perhaps it gives me more to do later.

Spoiler

:hugs: Good luck with uni!!! It makes complete sense to take a break from updating -- your reasons are a lot more valid than mine. :wink:
Original post by Jinkx Monsoon
:hugs: Good luck with uni!!! It makes complete sense to take a break from updating -- your reasons are a lot more valid than mine. :wink:

Thank you!!!
I've super stressed over it - again - because I thought I'd be released into clearing today so I could apply as the university I've been in contact with said I was able to... but even then they can't give me an answer until A-level results day when I get my resit result. Which is also stressing me out.

UCAS' offer calculator estimates I have an 80% chance of an offer/acceptance with my current grades - with that going up to 90% if I manage to get my Classics grade to a B overall.
Thank you!!!
I've super stressed over it - again - because I thought I'd be released into clearing today so I could apply as the university I've been in contact with said I was able to... but even then they can't give me an answer until A-level results day when I get my resit result. Which is also stressing me out.

UCAS' offer calculator estimates I have an 80% chance of an offer/acceptance with my current grades - with that going up to 90% if I manage to get my Classics grade to a B overall.

so I think I might just phone them rather than simply wait for my emails to get lost again - although I need to figure out which one of the dozens of numbers listed is the one I'm supposed to ring.

Also shoutout to PQ's Clearing vacancies thread; I checked for an opening with a uni that rejected me earlier in the year about applying, and they gave me the go ahead!

But for now, get me into clearing before Track "locks" on Friday, and finalise my top 3-5 Clearing choices.
so I think I might just phone them rather than simply wait for my emails to get lost again - although I need to figure out which one of the dozens of numbers listed is the one I'm supposed to ring.

Also shoutout to PQ's Clearing vacancies thread; I checked for an opening with a uni that rejected me earlier in the year about applying, and they gave me the go ahead!

But for now, get me into clearing before Track "locks" on Friday, and finalise my top 3-5 Clearing choices.

I got released into clearing 🙌🙌
only downside now is that track locks at 2pm today, and I won’t be able to add a clearing choice until 3pm on results day 🙃🙃
time to find those phone numbers me thinks
So my resit didn't do anything different - as in I got exactly the same UMS mark as I did last year, but UNIVERSITY

I GOT INTO UNI

So Birmingham didn't happen for a myriad of reasons - mainly half asleep me waiting too long, but I managed to get into choice number 2

University of Southampton to study History and Archaeology with a year abroad

From crying at 8am to crying at 4pm for two different reasons, today has been intense.

I need a nap. And pop tarts. They might be needed.
Unplanned activity:

So I mentioned below my bucket list there was stuff I wanted to do but seemed unlikely, but at least one of those are getting completed!

My parents are off on holiday all week, and we're planning to go to Twycross Zoo. But mum's likely going to pay a little extra so we can feed the Otters! omgomgomg They're so cute and they fall asleep holding hands!

There's also an option to feed the snow leopards which I'd love to do sometime in the future, so maybe next summer?
Goal completed:
5: Marathon series 1 and 2 of Westworld.

In an attempt to clear out some of the recording space on the TV, I've been marathoning a ton of shows, including Westworld.

I marathoned Series 1 shortly before the whole competition but I only got an episode into Series 2 before I forgot out it in the stress of exams and university planning. So I spent the time after watching an episode or two every day - which lasted an hour before I marathoned a series a day. lmao.

I have little to no self control with marathoning shows :biggrin:

Sooooooo, the competition closes soon, and boy I thought I'd have completed so much more than what I have.

In reflection, this summer compared to last year has been intense! I spent so much time organising university stuff, and will continue to do so until I move into halls (I have a fresher's blog - check it out!) I spent so much time stressing over this and spending all my time planning contingency options and getting everything together that... my summer didn't really feel that fun?

The weather didn't exactly help either. I absolutely hate hot weather, so the heat and lack of rainfall right as I was getting into the sporty mindset basically ruined my motivation to get into shape, and just go out and do things for a long period of time.

And also I forgot to update this a ton, which sucks because I really enjoy doing it :frown:
(edited 5 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest