The Student Room Group

Access to Medicine 2018/19 entry

Hi all,

i have recently applied for an Access to medicine course at The Manchester college. Whilst looking through TSR I can see that there are threads for every existing year apart from the current one!

So, has anyone else applied for entry this year?

Also, if anyone from previous years has any advice or tips, please let us know!😊

I'm super nervous because I have been in higher education before at Lancaster uni but left before the end of first year due to mitigating circumstances. However, this experience has enlightened me in what I really want to do: be a doctor. But I have so many worries about whether or not my mental health is strong and whether I will cope! Anyone else feeling like this?
(edited 5 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by NatashaC_
Hi all,

i have recently applied for an Access to medicine course at The Manchester college. Whilst looking through TSR I can see that there are threads for every existing year apart from the current one!

Also, if anyone from previous years has any advice or tips, please let us know!😊

I'm super nervous because I have been in higher education before at Lancaster uni but left before the end of first year due to mitigating circumstances. However, this experience has enlightened me in what I really want to do: be a doctor. But I have so many worries about whether or not my mental health is strong and whether I will cope! Anyone else feeling like this?

There are normally a wealth of threads, but Access to med is a relatively new course. I believe someone did the Manchester one last year [ she was from Sheffield] and is one of the few to be able to convert an Access course into getting into medicine school. Worth searching for and trying to contact. i cant recall who it was.

The fact you think your MH is under thread would have me deciding to delay until I could cope with the pressure. There is no scope for mistakes. Better to be fully prepared. The course will be intense and only a year so a bad month could ruin it for you.

You also have the pressure of uni and medical school as well. I would just make sure I was fully up for it. Be smart and patient imo.

They do not like resits, so you only really get one good chance.
Reply 2
Original post by 999tigger
There are normally a wealth of threads, but Access to med is a relatively new course. I believe someone did the Manchester one last year [ she was from Sheffield] and is one of the few to be able to convert an Access course into getting into medicine school. Worth searching for and trying to contact. i cant recall who it was.

The fact you think your MH is under thread would have me deciding to delay until I could cope with the pressure. There is no scope for mistakes. Better to be fully prepared. The course will be intense and only a year so a bad month could ruin it for you.

You also have the pressure of uni and medical school as well. I would just make sure I was fully up for it. Be smart and patient imo.

They do not like resits, so you only really get one good chance.

Thank you for your reply! tbh the irony is that in getting on with daily life fine but the thought of having a relapse is making me anxious! I do suffer from intrusive thoughts so it can be overwhelming sometimes but I've managed to come through it every time. I think it's more self doubt than anything, but I feel I've doubted myself too long! I just want to do something I'm passionate about
Thank you for your reply! tbh the irony is that in getting on with daily life fine but the thought of having a relapse is making me anxious! I do suffer from intrusive thoughts so it can be overwhelming sometimes but I've managed to come through it every time. I think it's more self doubt than anything, but I feel I've doubted myself too long! I just want to do something I'm passionate about

You need to be in the situation where you can withstand a relapse.
Access is fast and intense. presumably you are confident in your study skills. If not delay and teach them to yourself.
Reply 4
You need to be in the situation where you can withstand a relapse.
Access is fast and intense. presumably you are confident in your study skills. If not delay and teach them to yourself.

Yeah I am in the process now of getting myself sorted, I have been on the wrong medication for quite some time. I'm now on the right one which will be increased in a months time and then I will also start CBT. it's not necessarily my study skills that are the problem, I am a very academic person and I personally feel that mental illness stole that part of my identity but I'm ready to get it back now.
Yeah I am in the process now of getting myself sorted, I have been on the wrong medication for quite some time. I'm now on the right one which will be increased in a months time and then I will also start CBT. it's not necessarily my study skills that are the problem, I am a very academic person and I personally feel that mental illness stole that part of my identity but I'm ready to get it back now.

Just pointing out how much they dislike resits.

Have you thought about A levels because I think your chances would be better.
Reply 6
Just pointing out how much they dislike resits.

Have you thought about A levels because I think your chances would be better.

so I have actually done A-levels, my first year went well with ABB but I had to leave college as I had surgery (after this was when my MH went really bad) I then returned to college and was really unwell, I had 30% attendance and so had to drop down to 2 A Levels, granted I still got BB and was lucky to be accepted at Lancaster Uni. However, in essence, I hadn't recovered and I was just trying to keep my head above the water, moving away for uni was not a wise decision at all, especially not to Lancaster because it was massively quieter than Manchester, to the point that I was unnerved by it.

so basically, I've had time out now, I've suffered and I've thought a lot about everything and this is the point that I'm at now, because I genuinely enjoy learning I want to be back in education
so I have actually done A-levels, my first year went well with ABB but I had to leave college as I had surgery (after this was when my MH went really bad) I then returned to college and was really unwell, I had 30% attendance and so had to drop down to 2 A Levels, granted I still got BB and was lucky to be accepted at Lancaster Uni. However, in essence, I hadn't recovered and I was just trying to keep my head above the water, moving away for uni was not a wise decision at all, especially not to Lancaster because it was massively quieter than Manchester, to the point that I was unnerved by it.

so basically, I've had time out now, I've suffered and I've thought a lot about everything and this is the point that I'm at now, because I genuinely enjoy learning I want to be back in education

Ok that gives more insight. Referee will need to comment on the above.
Have you got your experience?

I think Access is less effective, but if thats your choice use the summer imo to prep yourself. You will probably need 45 distinctions.
Reply 8

I think Access is less effective, but if thats your choice use the summer imo to prep yourself. You will probably need 45 distinctions.

Yeah I can get a letter from my doctor confirming the above. I have seen a lot of success across social media from people on the access course that got places on medicine. A lot of people have mentioned that it's the work you put in that matters. I've had experience volunteering at a care home before but I have registered to volunteer at my local hospital also and will speak to my GP about shadowing.
Yeah I can get a letter from my doctor confirming the above. I have seen a lot of success across social media from people on the access course that got places on medicine. A lot of people have mentioned that it's the work you put in that matters. I've had experience volunteering at a care home before but I have registered to volunteer at my local hospital also and will speak to my GP about shadowing.

I'm just thinking of the major risks you need to be aware of.

Which medical schools will you be applying to?
Reply 10
I really would like to go to Manchester, if not there then liverpool, i don't really want to go too far
Reply 11
I'm just thinking of the major risks you need to be aware of.

Which medical schools will you be applying to?

I really would like to go to Manchester, otherwise maybe Liverpool, I don't really want to go too far tbh
I really would like to go to Manchester, otherwise maybe Liverpool, I don't really want to go too far tbh

Just build up lots of contacts. That previous TSR poster did the Manchester one she is worth trying to trace.
Reply 13
Just build up lots of contacts. That previous TSR poster did the Manchester one she is worth trying to trace.

Yeah I've looking through a lot of the different ones but can't manage to find anyone in a similar situation. I might just email the unis and explain the situation before applying
Hi all,

id recommend doing a-levels instead. medicine is super competitive.
Yeah I've looking through a lot of the different ones but can't manage to find anyone in a similar situation. I might just email the unis and explain the situation before applying

Yes nothing to lose that way.
Reply 16
Yes nothing to lose that way.

Yeah and I have seen other people do this as well, just saves me wasting time and money
Yeah and I have seen other people do this as well, just saves me wasting time and money

Just be smart.

Maximise the plusses and minimise the risks.
Hey! I have also applied for HE in medicine at Manchester College for 2018 entry.
Reply 19
Original post by Javeria Asjad
Hey! I have also applied for HE in medicine at Manchester College for 2018 entry.

Hey! Have you been accepted? I only applied this past week so I'm yet to receive my letter

Latest

Trending

Trending