The Student Room Group

Should I formally complain about my teacher? Need your help

OK, so I'm currently studying law in year 12 for my A-Level next year. I have completely lost confidence in my law teacher, but she is very nice (sounds silly but I don't want to upset her).

The teacher: She has only taught law for 2 years so far, and before she was doing something totally different. The first year, she took over from another teacher in year 13, and they did ok- a few As etc. But last year, she took on a new AS class; half the people failed they're AS completely, and the highest grade in the class was a C. I was the one who got that grade and disappointed is an understatement. Many others worked extremely hard and deserved As. I am retaking the whole year rather than resitting- long story.

The real problem: The problem now is that it is an entirely new syllabus for Law. She is the only law teacher in the college so has no one to moderate her teaching or marking. I find myself having legal arguments with her not because she wants to stimulate me, but because she's teaching something wrong and doesn't understand it- she is just working it all out as she goes along. I know more about the syllabus and the exams in year 13 than she does. It scares me. I'm not saying this because I'm overly confident in my abilities or bitter towards her, this genuinely is the case, and I know others are worried too. I don't want to hurt her feeling but I want to do well.

So do I
a) do nothing and hope for the best, or
b) go above her head and ask for her to be given support in her teaching somehow, or
c) go above her head and formally complain, requesting a new teacher for the next academic year.

It sounds silly but I need an A, and I am not even the slightest bit confident that I can achieve that with her as my teacher, the way things are now.

Any thoughts and suggestions welcome, sorry it was long and rambling.

Love you all xo
Original post by Dobby's Phoenix
OK, so I'm currently studying law in year 12 for my A-Level next year. I have completely lost confidence in my law teacher, but she is very nice (sounds silly but I don't want to upset her).

The teacher: She has only taught law for 2 years so far, and before she was doing something totally different. The first year, she took over from another teacher in year 13, and they did ok- a few As etc. But last year, she took on a new AS class; half the people failed they're AS completely, and the highest grade in the class was a C. I was the one who got that grade and disappointed is an understatement. Many others worked extremely hard and deserved As. I am retaking the whole year rather than resitting- long story.

The real problem: The problem now is that it is an entirely new syllabus for Law. She is the only law teacher in the college so has no one to moderate her teaching or marking. I find myself having legal arguments with her not because she wants to stimulate me, but because she's teaching something wrong and doesn't understand it- she is just working it all out as she goes along. I know more about the syllabus and the exams in year 13 than she does. It scares me. I'm not saying this because I'm overly confident in my abilities or bitter towards her, this genuinely is the case, and I know others are worried too. I don't want to hurt her feeling but I want to do well.

So do I
b) go above her head and ask for her to be given support in her teaching somehow, or
c) go above her head and formally complain, requesting a new teacher for the next academic year.

It sounds silly but I need an A, and I am not even the slightest bit confident that I can achieve that with her as my teacher, the way things are now.

Love you all xo

See the first thing i have to say is that i would not attend a college with only one teacher in the subject i want to do, that rings alarm bells to me. I had a similar experience at GCSE with teachers who knew nothing about computer science but its much worse to have teachers like that at A level. Its a bit of a difficult situation because if she is fired, who will they replace her with? Shes the only teacher. I would make a complaint if i were you or even consider moving colleges. Im not really sure what they could do to help the situation
Original post by Nihilisticb*tch
See the first thing I have to say is that i would not attend a college with only one teacher in the subject i want to do, that rings alarm bells to me. I had a similar experience at GCSE with teachers who knew nothing about computer science but its much worse to have teachers like that at A level. It's a bit of a difficult situation because if she is fired, who will they replace her with? Shes the only teacher. I would make a complaint if i were you or even consider moving colleges. Im not really sure what they could do to help the situation

Thank you for replying.... yeah I really should have thought that when I was applying :/ Can't really move colleges as the ones around here won't take students from other colleges which is stupid I know but I rang and asked. might just have to risk the new teacher and complain idk
Thank you for replying.... yeah I really should have thought that when I was applying :/ Can't really move colleges as the ones around here won't take students from other colleges which is stupid I know but I rang and asked. might just have to risk the new teacher and complain idk

Yeah i mean someone who is incompetent should not be teaching an a level class. I would feel a but guilty though since you said shes a nice person. If complaining foesnt work youre just gonna have to try and teach yourself as much of the course aa possible and try your best
Complain. Because at the end of the day she's got her degrees etc but you haven't. who knows you could very successful just by having complained. Because your education is worth it
Similar to my GCSE one - he taught us nothing - i had to learn the whole thing a day before the exam - so i pretty much failed that exam i think

so yh harsh but true
complain - seriously.
thanks folks, it's tricky but I think i'll put in a complaint and try to do it anonymously ahah
I had an awful A-level teacher, AWFUL that missed an entire module for year 13... suffice to say, we learned it ourselves.

Depends, I would complain but still got on with it.

So do I

Love you all xo

In your complaint, strip out content that refers to:
How nice she is
Your disappointment at your C last year
How many of your peers deserved an A last year.

Give specific examples of how she doesn't understand the syllabus or taught it incorrectly. (And watch out for your "they're/their" accuracy).
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 8

So do I

Love you all xo

Complain and get a new teacher don’t waste your time for someone else. (Also had the same experience with my chemistry teacher coincidently I also want to retake :|)
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by JstAlii
Complain and get a new teacher don’t waste your time for someone else. (Also had the same experience with my chemistry teacher coincidently I also want to retake :|)

Complain certainly. Not at all realistic to say get a new teacher. It is not as simplistic as that
Original post by DrSocSciences
In your complaint, strip out content that refers to:
How nice she is
Your disappointment at your C last year
How many of your peers deserved an A last year.

Give specific examples of how she doesn't understand the syllabus or taught it incorrectly. (And watch out for your "they're/their" accuracy).

I'll leave all that out, just thought I'd give SR some context. And thank you, I'm slightly horrified at myself getting 'they're/their' wrong I'll be honest!
Original post by Sammylou40
Complain certainly. Not at all realistic to say get a new teacher. It is not as simplistic as that

Yeah, I can dream I suppose. For her to be given some support somehow seems achievable, I'll probs aim for that and just crack on with learning it myself aha
b or c
Yeah, I can dream I suppose. For her to be given some support somehow seems achievable, I'll probs aim for that and just crack on with learning it myself aha

You thought

Quick Reply

Latest