The Student Room Group

can a woman rape a man?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Anonymous
because they can force a man to do what they want them to do right? they can also use dildos and stuff or objects or whatever, cos men have holes innit.

Yes of course a woman can rape a man, any sec that isn't 1000% consensual is rape!

(Also please learn to write and spell properly)
Original post by Razz13
no penis, no rape

Where did you get that nonsense from?
Reply 21
Original post by Luke5125

The law, look it up
Reply 22
Not quite. Rape is only rape if the perpetrator penetrates, that's the legal definition at the moment. Otherwise it's "forced to penetrate" or something or other. A woman can rape if she has a dildo or something, but cannot cause penetration on her own.
Yes, a woman can rape a man. Rape is sex without consent. A women could have sex with a man without is consent in various ways including by using drugs, physical force or threats.
That's general/ social definition though. Legal is unfortunately not so simple.

Law doesn't always line up with common sense with these sorts of things because it's based on old definitions and it's super complicated to change.

Legally (UK) there are 3 rape related categories:

Rape
This is non consensual penetration of the vagina, mouth or anus with a penis.

Assault by penetration
As above, but by any body part or object.

Sexual assault
Any form of non-consensual sexual contact.

So legally, no, a woman cannot "rape" a man and any rape-like act would be covered under different legal terms. In sentiment though she can.

https://www.survivorsuk.org/question/male-sexual-abuse-and-the-law/
(edited 5 years ago)
Yes of course a woman can rape a man, any sec that isn't 1000% consensual is rape!

(Also please learn to write and spell properly)

Unfortunately it is true that legally rape has to be done with a penis.
https://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/2003/42/part/1/crossheading/rape
There are other terms that cover offences done without a penis.
Original post by Kindred
Unfortunately it is true that legally rape has to be done with a penis.
https://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/2003/42/part/1/crossheading/rape
There are other terms that cover offences done without a penis.

WTF! That's disgusting, how can they think that's right?

The irony of me posting this hours ago and you ranting like a lunatic over something you're wrong about is hilarious.
Well, legally, nobody can rape anyone, so no.
A woman can rape, as rape means to have sex with someone without their consent. However, under UK law, a woman cannot be prosecuted for rape, because the law states that a prosecution of rape requires penetration with one's penis. A woman however could be prosecuted for sexual assault for forced sex, or for assault by penetration for putting an object in a man's rectum without his consent.
Original post by It's****ingWOODY
A woman can rape, as rape means to have sex with someone without their consent. However, under UK law, a woman cannot be prosecuted for rape, because the law states that a prosecution of rape requires penetration with one's penis. A woman however could be prosecuted for sexual assault for forced sex, or for assault by penetration for putting an object in a man's rectum without his consent.

Under law a woman can't rape, so I guess that's it then. Rightly or wrongly, that's the law.
Depends on the position they use
Original post by ohdearstudying
Under law a woman can't rape, so I guess that's it then. Rightly or wrongly, that's the law.

She can't be charged for rape, but that doesn't mean it's not rape. It's a mere oversight in the written law and I'm sure it will be changed in the near future due to the increased recognition of male victims of domestic violence and rape in recent years. In some countries such as the Philippines or Angola, the age of sexual consent is 12 - I'm sure the extreme majority of us would agree, that a British paedophile who travels to Angola to have sex with a 12 year old, is still a paedophile, despite being within the law during the time that the sex took place.
(edited 5 years ago)
Yes! They can rape a man while he is unconscious. It has happened
The definition of sex is rather ambigious and up to the individual to decide, it is not exclusively penetration. Considering Rape is sex without consent, it means anything sexual can be classed as rape
Original post by It's****ingWOODY
She can't be charged for rape, but that doesn't mean it's not rape. It's a mere oversight in the written law and I'm sure it will be changed in the near future due to the increased recognition of male victims of domestic violence and rape in recent years. In some countries such as the Philippines or Angola, the age of sexual consent is 12 - I'm sure the extreme majority of us would agree, that a British paedophile who travels to Angola to have sex with a 12 year old, is still a paedophile, despite being within the law during the time that the sex took place.

Definitely agree. I hope the laws are changed, why couldn't Lush run a campaign on that? Instead of the sh*tty police one.
Original post by Steampunk_Turtle
The definition of sex is rather ambigious and up to the individual to decide, it is not exclusively penetration. Considering Rape is sex without consent, it means anything sexual can be classed as rape

The law states only a man with a penis can rape, that is the law, no ifs or buts.
Original post by Anonymous
because they can force a man to do what they want them to do right?

Legally, no. Under English law, rape is forcibly putting your penis in a person's mouth, anus or vagina. As women do not have penises, they are incapable of rape.

But in terms of modern linguistic usages, and in the moral sense, a woman can absolutely rape a man by forcing him into sexual situations he does not consent to

It's not exactly that they want it that way (well not all of them at least- people are always going to have different opinions and that includes stupid ones).
I'm not going to pretend to know loads about law, but basically it's how it was long ago and although people's ideas have changed a lot for the better it's harder to change legal stuff.

It's a bit like if people almost all agreed that locking somebody in a box for a week was as bad as murder. So morally they are the same and should be treated as equally bad in the eyes of the law. Thing is, "murder" already has a definition. For you to have murdered somebody they have to be dead. So although people agree that locking somebody in a box is equal to murder you just couldn't punish somebody for it under the name "murder" cos that's not what they did.
If you tried to prosecute somebody for it all their lawyer would have to do is say "but they didn't die" and boom case dismissed on a technicality.
Changing legal definitions is harder than a constipated diamond so what you do to get around that is create another law which does include locking people in boxes and have that get a potential sentence as high as murder. That way you can punish the people as if they were murders but avoid all that technicality mess.

Rape also has a set definition and in the legal system that includes the use of a penis. That's just how things were seen back then. It is a very silly detail, but it's there so everything gets wrapped up with technicalities.
So to de-mess the situation a bit we have a law which covers any form of sexual assault and under that a female rapist could be charged the same as a male one.

Now if you get into it even further a woman is less likely to be charged as harshly as a man for the same offence and all sorts of other unfair things, but honestly the world just sucks a bit and that's just how it will always be. The important thing here is that there are measures being taken to try to make being fair a bit easier despite the mess of a world we live in.

And hopefully while all this patching up is going on, behind the scenes there are a bunch of people trying to work out how to change the legal definition of rape so it includes female rapists. I believe a bit of that has already gone on to make it so a man can rape a man.
As I’m sure people will have pointed out, legally a woman can’t rape a man (or another woman).
Sexual assault, maybe.
The fact is, a woman will never get sentenced as harshly as a man for this same crime. That's what's messed up about it.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending