The Student Room Group

Commuting to UCL?

Hi there,

I have an offer to study a postgrad at UCL this next academic year and just wanted some advice on accommodation etc... Obviously the London prices are seriously freaking me out and since (as far as I can currently tell) I would only be in class for 2 days, I am seriously considering commuting to London for my course. I'm from Lancashire so am thinking I would get the train down, stay overnight and then commute home the next day. From what I can tell, this works out as significantly cheaper than the £300+ a week rooms in accommodation. I just cannot justify that amount of money for 2 days of class! I just wanted to see if anyone else had experience with this or even any alternatives or advice? Thank you!
Reply 1
I know people who have commuted to London colleges,albeit not as far as Lancashire. They tend to have a commuter friendly class schedule with classes on 2-3 days. Just make sure that your home town has a uni library and arrange a guest pass. Some unis let local residents enter uni library to study and even borrow books. Maybe you can arrange couch surfing with a trusted class mate and offer to contribute £. You won't need room over Christmas and after May. You can write yr dissertation at home.
I did my masters at UCL and we had a few part-time students commuting from 2-3 hours away, so it's definitely doable. However, it would probably be a good idea to check with your course director now whether this will be feasible for your course - in my department, we had a lot of part-timers and they scheduled compulsory classes to be on consecutive days to make it easier for the part-time students who were juggling travel/work/etc. But on a friend's course in a different department, hardly anyone was part-time and she really struggled because her timetable was all over the place and she was commuting in from another city. So it's worth checking! Also, if there are any optional courses you want to take or lab placements or whatever, that can mean you end up needing to be in London for more of the week.

Alternatively, it is possible to rent a room in London for less than £300pw, especially if you live further out. London is expensive, but definitely doesn't have to be that expensive!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending