The Student Room Group

French A Level

Bit of advice from those of you doing French A Level, please... didn't enjoy English Lit for GCSE and am not looking forward to the literature/film part of French A Level, but am looking forward to the language element. How does the literature part compare to GCSE English Lit? More straightforward? Less/more to learn? Will I really hate it if I hated Eng Lit so much??
Original post by Chinstrap
Bit of advice from those of you doing French A Level, please... didn't enjoy English Lit for GCSE and am not looking forward to the literature/film part of French A Level, but am looking forward to the language element. How does the literature part compare to GCSE English Lit? More straightforward? Less/more to learn? Will I really hate it if I hated Eng Lit so much??

Hey :h: I did A-level French last year (old specification so I'm not too sure about the new one) and felt the same way about the cultural stuff (studied a film which I liked and poetry which I really hated). However, it wasnt too bad bc you only needed to do ur essay on one of them so I could pick the one i was better at. Compared to english lit, I don't think there is as much to learn as ur not expected to be very detailed, but i still found it a bit difficult. If its the same as me last year, I would recommend the film bc thats a lot easier to analyse

Hope this helps :smile:
Reply 2
Thanks - that’s useful to hear!
Original post by Chinstrap

Hi!

I do A level Spanish and French atm so I have 2 books and 2 films to study but it honestly isn't that bad! I'd say the level of analysis they expect you to have would probably be a C or a low B at GCSE. All you really need to do is revise the characters and themes :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending