The Student Room Group
Graduation day, University of Glasgow
University of Glasgow
Visit website

In the first year, do I have to study three subjects?

Hello,

I'm hoping to study at Glasgow next year but I'm kinda put off by the whole thing where you have to study three subjects. I'm hoping to study maths and I don't really have any incentive to study anything else, I've done 2 years of A levels and I really enjoyed studying maths but not so much my other 2 (Physics and politics).

Is this the only way they do it at glasgow or can I opt to just do maths?

Cheers!
Hi - sorry you haven't had a response to this yet. I'm just going to bump the thread in the hope that someone sees this and can help :h:
Graduation day, University of Glasgow
University of Glasgow
Visit website
Hi there,

As far as I know you have to study two extra subjects at every Scottish university as per the 4 year degree system, unless you are studying something like Medicine.

You do three subjects in first year, take two of these onto second year and an add an extra one and then in third year decide what you want your degree to be in - either single or joint honours.

I was very much like you in that I knew I wanted to study my applied degree (English) and I studied History of Art and Business, then English Language, alongside. It's a bit frustrating when you are really certain what you want your degree to be. However, I would just use it to expand your skills, do something different you think you'd enjoy and will be motivated in. I knew people who did English Literature with Maths - so it can be a strange combo if your timetable allows for it!

I hope this helps.

Lilith
Original post by Ellyott
Hello,

I'm hoping to study at Glasgow next year but I'm kinda put off by the whole thing where you have to study three subjects. I'm hoping to study maths and I don't really have any incentive to study anything else, I've done 2 years of A levels and I really enjoyed studying maths but not so much my other 2 (Physics and politics).

Is this the only way they do it at glasgow or can I opt to just do maths?

Cheers!

You'll study Maths as your core subject then 2 other subjects. You'll carry one of these subjects in to 2nd year and choose a completely new one again (alongside your Maths).

In third year (honours year 1), you can opt to switch degrees to the subject you studied in both Year 1 and Year 2, go for a joint honours I.e. Maths with Computer Science, or focus exclusively on Maths and leave with the Maths BSc.

Hope this helps.

Original post by Puddles the Monkey
Hi - sorry you haven't had a response to this yet. I'm just going to bump the thread in the hope that someone sees this and can help :h:

Puddles... I've noticed the delay in bumping lately... Good call :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending