The Student Room Group

Universities, Gap year and parents

Anon please

I'm currently Year 13, just finished my A Levels. I hold a place at a university starting October, however I feel I've made the wrong choice (I took the only option available to me at the time) and would rather take a gap year and defer while applying elsewhere. The issue is that my parents won't let me stay at home during the gap year unless I pay them rent, and I don't currently have a job - I'm actively looking for one.

There's also the issue of university choice - the main worry I have about majority of UK degrees is that they're too focused on one main subject, and with all science a levels any join Arts and sciences degrees are off the table. I'm looking at courses in America which honestly look so much more 'right' for me (and don't require specific a levels), however my parents are dead set against this (as they were when I also broached the subject beginning of yr 13) again due to costs, despite the fact I'm looking into everything I can do to reduce them/ pay them myself and the fact I wouldn't go if I got in but couldn't afford to go.

I'm honestly so stuck and lost here, can anyone help me with what I should do? Do I just apply to American unis and hope for the best or not?

tdr; Can't take gap year atm because parents won't let me (due to not having UK course lined up), want to go to American uni but parents not supportive
Reply 1
your parents are dicks for doing that. I feel for you

my parents are going to pay all my uni fees, accommodation, my car, all my spending money etc.. the least yours could do is let you stay at home, costs them nothing.
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by Jono*
your parents are dicks for doing that. I feel for you

my parents are going to pay all my uni fees, accommodation, my car, all my spending money etc.. the least yours could do is let you stay at home, costs them nothing.

Thanks for the support :smile: they earn a lot but only coming from one parent so I get the smallest loan as well 😕 They're happy to pay for accommodation if I use my savings (which I agreed with them about earlier this year) if I go to uni this year, but idk it's back to the chicken and egg scenario :frown:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending