The Student Room Group

PRIDE 2018 - Equality Without Exception

Through the month of July, The Student Room is supporting all things PRIDE!! We're coming together to celebrate and support the LGBTQ+ community and we'd like to invite you to join in with sharing the love

We've got loads of juicy competitions, discussions, AMAs and advice coming your way throughout the month so keep your eyes peeled, but in the meantime, check out what we have going on already!

Start by jumping in on the conversation about what PRIDE means to you

Then show your support (and maybe win a prize!) by showing off your Pride avatar. Not very creative? Ask for a hand!

Whether you're LGBTQ+ or an ally, join our society and get in on the chat

Feeling generous? Submit messages to be sent to the Rainbow Cards Project to help disowned LGBT+ youth

Let us know if you're attending Pride this year. Feel free to show off your photos!

Test your LGBT+ knowledge by taking our quiz and read up on important parts of the history while you're there

Have questions about bisexuality? Ask this person anything!

We'll be updating this thread through the month with all things PRIDE!! Make sure you get involved, show your support, and share the love!
(edited 5 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

:excited::excited::excited::excited::excited::excited::excited::excited::excited::excited::excited::excited::excited::excited:
:excited::excited::excited::excited::excited::excited::excited::excited::excited::excited::excited::excited::excited::excited:

Original post by CoolCavy

My phone did not like loading this but I think it was worth the struggle :laugh:
Original post by chelseadagg3r
My phone did not like loading this but I think it was worth the struggle :laugh:

broke your thread all together last night :getmecoat:
glad you think it was worth it :colondollar: :lol:
Reply 4
I get it we need to accept the LGBT but why does the police get involved in these prides? If they want to get involved at least get involved without the uniform, the police are supposed to hold their reputation of doing their jobs. Not doing things like these which tarnishes their whole reputation, and I don't mean this as an offensive way to the LGBT community I am not anti-LGBT. What people need to understand is that in the 21th century not everyone is ready to accept the LGBT community, it will take a long time before everyone does.
Original post by The RAR
I get it we need to accept the LGBT but why does the police get involved in these prides? If they want to get involved at least get involved without the uniform, the police are supposed to hold their reputation of doing their jobs. Not doing things like these which tarnishes their whole reputation, and I don't mean this as an offensive way to the LGBT community I am not anti-LGBT. What people need to understand is that in the 21th century not everyone is ready to accept the LGBT community, it will take a long time before everyone does.

Well for the police, it's important to them that they're seen as an LGBT+ friendly employer. Not to mention that they're there to support in an official capacity where required, in the same way that they are around for things like protests and other high-profile public events that could draw some controversy or potential risk. It's important to remember that the police serve LGBT+ people too and it's important that LGBT+ people feel comfortable going to the police, particularly when it comes to issues like hate crime and domestic abuse
Original post by The RAR

The whole point of pride is to show that everyone in the 21st century SHOULD accept the LGBT+ for what they are. We aren't saying everyone should advocate for us, but across the entire human race there really shouldn't be any shade thrown our way as there really is no need for it. It's not a choice and we are all human, so why discriminate against people for something they literally cannot help? This is the exact same argument I would give you for racism, or ageism, or any other type of bigoted discrimination towards any community of people.

It does not tarnish "their whole reputation" by supporting these events, that honestly is the biggest ******** I've ever read. The police are there to ensure public safety as with any large scale event, such as pride, there can be casualties for any reason, terrorism and people who want to put a stop to people expressing themselves for no reason other than ignorance. They are there to ensure the order of the public so that everyone enjoys themselves to the fullest. It's exactly the same as having an ambulance on site. They are there for the worst case scenario, and so are the police. If they weren't in Uniform, then no one would know they were even there in the first place? The uniform acts as a deterrent for potential criminals. You wouldn't get a knife out in the middle of the street if you saw a couple of policemen/woman 10m away from you.

I didn't mean for my reply to come across as rude to you (or anyone else) either, I just thought what you wrote was honestly a bit dumb.
Original post by AperfectBalance
But pride is very clearly not just about accepting lgbt people since they parade around and dress in very offputting ways and FORCE their parades on busy cities and busy people, I dont care if you want to be gay but being gay does not equal being annoying and parading around, just keep your sexuality mostly to yourself and stop ranting about it.

Just to be very clear, this is not a debate thread. If you'd like to debate, take it to the relevant section :smile:
'Look, it's me! Carl! Chill! Chill!'
Original post by CoolCavy

Cannot rep :no:
Original post by The RAR

Haters gonna hate :biggrin:

(edited 5 years ago)
Pride is great!
People get to show who they really are without being judged.
But the police don't need to get involved so much, if they want to celebrate they should join in as well. xx
Pride to me mostly means looking at + sharing pride content from the safety of my laptop without doing anything in public
I hope that one day I can go to a pride event publically and be myself like I want to
LGBTQ+ issues are close to my heart and seeing this on tsr (which isn't always the most welcoming of places, especially to trans people) has really made my day!
Original post by The_Lonely_Goatherd
Cannot rep :no:

Your avatar is sensational :heart:

:adore:
Original post by She-Ra
Your avatar is sensational :heart:

:adore:

I know, right??!! :ahee:

Can't take any credit for it though - Cavy did an amazing job in creating it :yep:
I went to Stoke Pride last month with my girlfriend, I'd never been to one before so it was a really nice experience where it felt like my partner and I could be ourselves without any fear.
I used to be anti gay parades not because I was ever anti gay I never was but simply because I just thought people were not homophobic these days and it was not necessary.

Then I joined the kink community I am a sexual submissive and consider submissive a sexuality just like gay bi etc I think people should recognise hetrosexual submissive as a gender.

anyway at a lot of the kink events I have been to we have been warned not to dress in fetish gear before we get there because people might think we are gay and beat us up. and there have been several incidents of people been beaten up that I have witnessed (witnessed as in seen the after effects not been there when they were beaten up. )
this just should not be happening today.
PRIDE means a lot to me even though I'm not part of the LGBTQ+ society. Most of my life I've been told how these people are disgusting and bring shame to this world. I look back to all these comments and couldn't disagree any less. These people are people who want to live a happy life. They want to love people unconditionally towards whoever they feel love towards, without having to fear judgement of society.

Sometimes, in life I want a bit of acceptance. Whether that means being accepted as a women or an atheist to my religious community. I always want to be accepted for who I am. And I get quite upset if people don't accept me they way that I am and feel ashamed when I shouldn't be. If people who consider themselves a part of the LGBTQ+ society cannot express themselves or even be accepted in society, then I want to be there to support them.

And for those who still hate PRIDE, I just want you to ask yourself 'Why?'.
Original post by chelseagirl2002
PRIDE means a lot to me even though I'm not part of the LGBTQ+ society. Most of my life I've been told how these people are disgusting and bring shame to this world. I look back to all these comments and couldn't disagree any less. These people are people who want to live a happy life. They want to love people unconditionally towards whoever they feel love towards, without having to fear judgement of society.

Sometimes, in life I want a bit of acceptance. Whether that means being accepted as a women or an atheist to my religious community. I always want to be accepted for who I am. And I get quite upset if people don't accept me they way that I am and feel ashamed when I shouldn't be. If people who consider themselves a part of the LGBTQ+ society cannot express themselves or even be accepted in society, then I want to be there to support them.

And for those who still hate PRIDE, I just want you to ask yourself 'Why?'.

LBGT people aren't disgusting. What's disgusting is that some try to force people to believe it's natural when others have their own opinion. Ofc I said some, not all, not most; but some.

I love LGBT people but don't force me into believing it's natural lol.

Sorry if u get offended by what I said which I hope isn't offensive :smile:
Original post by TheYearNiner
LBGT people aren't disgusting. What's disgusting is that some try to force people to believe it's natural when others have their own opinion. Ofc I said some, not all, not most; but some.

I love LGBT people but don't force me into believing it's natural lol.

Sorry if u get offended by what I said which I hope isn't offensive :smile:

If you don't accept LGBT+ people then you don't love them.

Quick Reply

Latest