The Student Room Group

Feel sorry for those who go to university

English universities that is... lolololol

Unless you go to Oxbridge or Imperial

You have to pay £9250 a year for something which us Scots get for free.

And we have the likes of St Andrews and Edinburgh which although are not as good as the English unis mentioned above, are better than or equal to the rest.

This is made even more tragic if you study a crappy course as even they are free up here.

Anyway, good luck in never paying back your student loan.

looooool

Scroll to see replies

A new edition in the current saga of "Will TSR ever learn there are more good unis than Oxbridge and the rest of the Top 5"

The debt gets waived away if you never pay it back anyways
loooooooooool
The problem with free HE education in Scotland is that you have to be Scottish to get it. This is a cross I would rather not bear.
Reply 3
Original post by Notoriety
The problem with free HE education in Scotland is that you have to be Scottish to get it. This is a cross I would rather not bear.

:frown:

But why, Lots if pros of being Scottish, the tap water quality is better than that limescaled crap you get down there.
Original post by e^iπ
English universities that is... lolololol

Unless you go to Oxbridge or Imperial

You have to pay £9250 a year for something which us Scots get for free.

And we have the likes of St Andrews and Edinburgh which although are not as good as the English unis mentioned above, are better than or equal to the rest.

This is made even more tragic if you study a crappy course as even they are free up here.

Anyway, good luck in never paying back your student loan.

looooool

You're on fire with the troll threads lately, aren't you mate? Stick to maths, Euler's Identity.
Reply 5
Original post by GalGirl101
A new edition in the current saga of "Will TSR ever learn there are more good unis than Oxbridge and the rest of the Top 5"

The debt gets waived away if you never pay it back anyways
loooooooooool

Of it gets waived away, it means you never earned enough money to pay it back and so you lived on a measly salary of £25k or under for 30 years.

loooool
Original post by e^iπ
Of it gets waived away, it means you never earned enough money to pay it back and so you lived on a measly salary of £25k or under for 30 years.

loooool

Earning 25k+ =/= paying off your student loan.
Reply 7
Original post by plklupu
You're on fire with the troll threads lately, aren't you mate? Stick to maths, Euler's Identity.

This is a legitimate issue, why is your government standing back while sub-standard institutions are allowed to extort money off of budding media students?
Scotland, that **** hole where it rains constantly and has a seriously low life expectancy. Lay of the whisky and deep fat food son.
Reply 9
Original post by random_matt
Scotland, that **** hole where it rains constantly and has a seriously low life expectancy. Lay of the whisky and deep fat food son.

That's Glasgow mate.

Even still, better than fat delusional England fans everywhere.

But we must not be distracted from the issue at hand!
I'd think it's more like a graduate tax than a loan. They take 9% of what you earn above £25,000 per year. After a certain amount of time, the debt will be written off (I think that's how it works. Correct me if I'm wrong)
It’s more like a graduate tax than an actual debt in the normal sense. After earning 25k ish a certain percentage of your monthly income goes towards your student loan. You probably have to pay higher taxes in order to fund your HE. Or will have to. We have to give a certain % of our income which isn’t exactly crippling debt or debt collectors knocking at your door. It’s entirely affordable. Just like your higher taxes are entirely affordable.
Original post by e^iπ
:frown:

But why, Lots if pros of being Scottish, the tap water quality is better than that limescaled crap you get down there.

I must agree, the tap water is abhorrent down here. It's slightly better in Wales however.
Reply 13
Original post by TomTomSatNavv
I'd think it's more like a graduate tax than a loan. They take 9% of what you earn above £25,000 per year. After a certain amount of time, the debt will be written off (I think that's how it works. Correct me if I'm wrong)

Still quite tragic IMO,
Reply 14
Original post by 12aissid
It’s more like a graduate tax than an actual debt in the normal sense. After earning 25k ish a certain percentage of your monthly income goes towards your student loan. You probably have to pay higher taxes in order to fund your HE. Or will have to. We have to give a certain % of our income which isn’t exactly crippling debt or debt collectors knocking at your door. It’s entirely affordable. Just like your higher taxes are entirely affordable.

At least we don't have places like Bradford up here.
Reply 15
Medicine is the only course worth studying at a non-oxbridge uni down there so congratulations on making the right choice!
(edited 5 years ago)
imo am man enough to admit uni is a rip off. the only folk who benefit are the STEM medicine law and co. every other degree is pointless for the vast majority.
What an asinine thread.

A university is only as good as the student's capability.

As for having to pay for tuition fees, I believe that's fair. Though the tuition fees do not represent the quality of wages these days, that's for sure.
Reply 18
Original post by GeorgeAgdgdgwngo
imo am man enough to admit uni is a rip off. the only folk who benefit are the STEM medicine law and co. every other degree is pointless for the vast majority.

Finally some sense,
Reply 19
Original post by Notoriety

Exactly. I’ll take fruit and vegetables over free uni any day 😅

Latest

Trending

Trending