The Student Room Group

Loneliness at uni

Hi guys,
Recently have been struggling with uni loneliness and making strong friendships. I am a second year student (who did a foundation year so technically I'm in my third year) who is on a superrrr busy course where most of my time is taken up by coursework deadlines/being in lectures/catching up in the library. I keep in close contact with my best friends from back home and have noticed that all of them have made a little friend group at university and consistent best friends they hang out with and live with. Although I am super happy that they are living their best lives, I feel sad that my situation is not the same :frown:

When I was in halls in first year, I was quite unlucky with my flatmates and actually did not manage to make many friends in the accommodation I was staying in. This was the first issue because I know many people meet their best friends through first year accom but unfortunately I did not :frown: I have also been to several societies and speak to many people frequently (I am quite extraverted so I enjoy doing this) and although I have definitely made a lot of friends, I feel as if I have not made many close ones like everyone else has.

often this doesnt bother me because as I said before, my course uses up most of my time but when I find myself alone I really feel lonely and upset that I never found my best friends at uni. I currently live with a friend I made in my foundation year but we aren't that close :frown: I compare this to my best friend at her uni who is living with a best friend she met in her first year accom right now and idk I kinda have FOMO I guess....

Any advice for making really close friends, despite being in uni for a few years now? I feel like everyone has found their friend groups but me and it just makes me feel terrible lol.
Original post by Anonymous #1
Hi guys,
Recently have been struggling with uni loneliness and making strong friendships. I am a second year student (who did a foundation year so technically I'm in my third year) who is on a superrrr busy course where most of my time is taken up by coursework deadlines/being in lectures/catching up in the library. I keep in close contact with my best friends from back home and have noticed that all of them have made a little friend group at university and consistent best friends they hang out with and live with. Although I am super happy that they are living their best lives, I feel sad that my situation is not the same :frown:

When I was in halls in first year, I was quite unlucky with my flatmates and actually did not manage to make many friends in the accommodation I was staying in. This was the first issue because I know many people meet their best friends through first year accom but unfortunately I did not :frown: I have also been to several societies and speak to many people frequently (I am quite extraverted so I enjoy doing this) and although I have definitely made a lot of friends, I feel as if I have not made many close ones like everyone else has.

often this doesnt bother me because as I said before, my course uses up most of my time but when I find myself alone I really feel lonely and upset that I never found my best friends at uni. I currently live with a friend I made in my foundation year but we aren't that close :frown: I compare this to my best friend at her uni who is living with a best friend she met in her first year accom right now and idk I kinda have FOMO I guess....

Any advice for making really close friends, despite being in uni for a few years now? I feel like everyone has found their friend groups but me and it just makes me feel terrible lol.

Hi!

I am so sorry to hear that you're feeling lonely and down.

In many ways, I can relate. I never really made any close friends on my course, and I only made one good friend from first-year halls.

It is a big plus that you would describe yourself as extroverted🙂 . What has helped me form closer friendships with acquaintances is to organise little things to do together consistently. For example, grab a coffee and cake after lecturers. Go out and drink if you're into that! Go to the library together. It is much harder to organise things when the weather is horrible, but once it is sunny, I feel like it becomes a lot easier to suggest plans last minute. I feel like the winter period is when many people feel lonely.

Also, don't get too wrapped up in this idea that you're supposed to make your best friends for life at uni because many people don't. Another thing I did, because I feel just like you at times, was join some groups on Facebook. I joined 'gals who graduate', 'Truely twenties ', ‘The Travel Squard’ and ‘gals who read'; if you look, you can usually find something that suits you.

I hope some of this is helpful, even if it just reassures you that other people are going through similar situations.

Anastasia,
BCU Student Rep.
Hi guys,

Hi there,

I'm sorry to hear you're feeling this way!

It's not uncommon for students, especially in busy and demanding academic environments. It's important to remember that your experience is unique, and comparing yourself to others might not be entirely fair or productive.

I can relate to what you're going through, and I've found that reminding myself not to force or desperately seek friendship has been helpful. Instead of trying to fit into existing friend groups, I focus on being authentic and genuine in my interactions. I believe that proper connections happen organically, and it's essential to give relationships the time and space to develop naturally.

I've also learned that the quality of friendships matters more than the quantity. While everyone may have already found their friend groups, it's never too late to form meaningful connections. Engaging in activities and societies that genuinely interest me has allowed me to meet like-minded individuals, and I've found that these connections often turn into deeper friendships over time.

It's okay to feel a bit of FOMO. Building close friendships is a gradual process, and trust that you will find those who resonate with your energy when the time is right. Be patient with yourself, continue engaging in activities you love, and be open to the possibility of meaningful connections happening naturally.

Cheers,
MSc International Business Student.
Original post by Heriot-Watt Uni
Hi there,

I'm sorry to hear you're feeling this way!

It's not uncommon for students, especially in busy and demanding academic environments. It's important to remember that your experience is unique, and comparing yourself to others might not be entirely fair or productive.

I can relate to what you're going through, and I've found that reminding myself not to force or desperately seek friendship has been helpful. Instead of trying to fit into existing friend groups, I focus on being authentic and genuine in my interactions. I believe that proper connections happen organically, and it's essential to give relationships the time and space to develop naturally.

I've also learned that the quality of friendships matters more than the quantity. While everyone may have already found their friend groups, it's never too late to form meaningful connections. Engaging in activities and societies that genuinely interest me has allowed me to meet like-minded individuals, and I've found that these connections often turn into deeper friendships over time.

It's okay to feel a bit of FOMO. Building close friendships is a gradual process, and trust that you will find those who resonate with your energy when the time is right. Be patient with yourself, continue engaging in activities you love, and be open to the possibility of meaningful connections happening naturally.

Cheers,
MSc International Business Student.

PRSOM!

Oluwatosin 3rd year student University of Huddersfield
Hi guys,

Hey there,

I started my degree as a second year student too and went into halls first, so I get the struggle.

Two of my halls flatmates had been there previous years before me; one had been in halls once then had a private flat then halls, the other had been in halls and left n come back to halls again. Those two flatmates are now best friends- they met each other after being at uni for two years- so don’t give up hope!

If you think you could hack it, I’d say try living in halls again, it’s the best way to make friends imo. I made friends with a girl I kept seeing in the laundry room of my accommodation and im a very introverted person. otherwise I’d say get a job where other students work, that means you’ll see them regularly etc.

Hope that helps and stay hopeful! 😊
Hi guys,

Join clubs and societies.
Hi guys,

Hi there,

Sorry to hear you are struggling at uni.

I would say try and cultivate the friendships you have already made, try and plan more things with those people and you may find that they turn into really close friends. You could also try joining other societies and sports clubs and see if there is anyone there that you might form a close friendship with.

I hope this helps,

Ellen
Y4 Medical Student
Uni of Sunderland
Hi guys,

Hi there,

Sorry to hear you have been feeling like this, it can be hard feeling lonely at uni.

Something I would say to try and remind yourself of is that social media isn't real and not everybody is happy at uni with loads of friends, you just wouldn't know it. It's so easy to compare yourself but try not to as everybody is different!

In terms of making new friends, I would say stay consistent with the societies! You never know, over time you may become closer and as you say you are quite extroverted so if you keep chatting to them they may open up a bit more and you might become closer.

You could also try and see if people from your course want to do things with you outside of uni. You can start by asking if they want to go to the library, or for a coffee after uni and this may lead into a friendship! Some people just take longer to open up and as you are quite extroverted they might open up if you keep trying!

I would also say, if you join some Facebook groups you may meet some people this way. There are usually groups for your course and just uni in general so if you join these you may meet people this way who are wanting to meet up and make friends and you might form some friendships this way!

Lastly, I would say maybe try living in halls again. You can usually request to live with people in the same year group as you so it won't be like you are a lot older than them and you might get put with some people who you get on better with this time!

I hope some of this helps,

Lucy -SHU student ambassador.
Hi guys,

Hi there,

I’m really sorry to hear that you’re feeling this way at university. Please know that you’re absolutely not alone, there are lots of students who are feeling exactly the same way as you University can be tough!

It is never too late to join societies - There are new people joining them all the time, so you won’t be the only new face around. Doing activities that societies would offer is a great way to build close friendships.

I would also say that getting a part time job/ volunteering is a great way to build friendships with peers. It may seem like a weird suggestion but when I was at university, my part time student job allowed me to make close friendships with other students who worked with me. Nothing bonds you more then a tough shift at work haha.

Finally, I would say reach out to any support team you may have at your institution. This is a common trouble faced at University and hopefully your institutions support team will be able to support you.
I do hope this helps and that you start to feel a bit better soon. I know it can be daunting putting yourself out there, whether it’s joining a society or asking for support, but everyone at the university wants you to succeed and will be happy to help in any way that they can.

Matt ~ University of Salford Rep.
Hi guys,
Hi,
I'm sorry to hear that this has been your experience so far!
I wan't to reassure you that everyone feels lonely at university sometimes, it can be a very isolating place in many ways. My advice would be to try to put the effort in to see your uni friends as much as you can in settings where you can just talk (for example coffee shop etc) I find this is great for deepening relationships. Additionally, I want to assure you that even those who seem to have super close friends will feel this loneliness at times so you are definitely not alone in this!
Hope this helps, Faye :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending