The Student Room Group

PG Application Advice

Hi!

So I just completed 2nd year at KCL doing International Relations. Exams were strangely disappointing despite working insanely hard - I was heading for a good 1st but now I'm averaging 68%. Kcl examiners just don't seem to like my exam style or something haha so I am slightly more confident for next year with only 1 exam to potentially mess up. I have good work experience - 1 week placements in several places in London, 2 months in Colombian government and 3 months in an IGO. I usually write personal statements relatively well and I have a good relationship with my personal tutor.

I'd like to do a Master's in something IR/Security related and would love advice on what unis I should be aiming for (preferably but not definitely in London), how to go about getting my predicted grades, and any tips for a personal statement and finding funding.

Huge thanks.
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by Chrissy.98
Hi!

So I just completed 2nd year at KCL doing International Relations. Exams were strangely disappointing despite working insanely hard - I was heading for a good 1st but now I'm averaging 68%. Kcl examiners just don't seem to like my exam style or something haha so I am slightly more confident for next year with only 1 exam to potentially mess up. I have good work experience - 1 week placements in several places in London, 2 months in Colombian government and 3 months in an IGO. I usually write personal statements relatively well and I have a good relationship with my personal tutor.

I'd like to do a Master's in something IR/Security related and would love advice on what unis I should be aiming for (preferably but not definitely in London), how to go about getting my predicted grades, and any tips for a personal statement and finding funding.

Huge thanks.

Search for your courses on UCAS. Then narrow down your choices to as many as you like.

The write a general PS then obvs tailor it to each individual uni.

Funding, apply to SF. They offer a maximum of £10,609 which includes course fees and living costs. Obvs you're not guaranteed that amount. But still. You obvs would apply after graduating or when you've finished uni. PG courses are more expensive than what they were when SF decided to bring in PG loans. So I would try and get a job (if you don't already have one) and save as much as possible.

But I would look at the unis first, then consider funding and then write your PS last.

You need to consider whether you'd be able to afford your PG course first.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending