The Student Room Group

Bath CS or gap year?

For context I'm an international student doing the IB and my application for 2023 entry did go well (5 offers), however, my PG limited me quite a bit when applying to a broader range of good unis. While I did get predicted 766 in my HLs (equivalent to A*AA), keep in mind that for IB students, universities also have an overall score requirement, which I got predicted a 36. The issue was that most, if not all universities that ask for 766 in HL also require 38+, which I did not meet at the time.

My results came in a few weeks ago as 776 in HLs and 39 overall (decent chance of 40 if I decide to remark my EE), and ever since then I've been considering a gap year, primarily for applying to potentially better unis, and also financial reasons. If I do take the gap year, I have potential work experience lined up in front-end development, which should be good for my PS. As for universities, I'm considering applying to UCL, LSE (DS), Bristol, KCL, and Durham currently. I know Bath is still good and probably more or less equal to some of those in terms of quality and employability, but these were the unis I wanted to apply to originally in the beginning and Bath was quite a last-minute decision, so I may be happier with those. I really don't know though, as there's no guarantee I'd get those offers, and almost all of my friends are going to uni abroad this year, so I'd kinda be left out for a whole year. I'd appreciate any advice.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending