The Student Room Group

Urban Design or Planning Masters

Hello!I'm in the process of thinking about applying for an Urban Design Masters at Oxford Brookes.I'm unsure about the profession of Urban Design itself, however, and was wondering if anyone could give any insight into it...For example - it is a relatively new profession - are there many jobs in UD? And what is the average salary? Is it a good field to go into?I'm also curious to know whether it is a valuable masters, or whether firms would prefer someone from an Architectural background (my undergrad was in Geography). Is a MA in UD sufficient or do firms prefer straight Architectural knowledge? Also, having come from a geography background, do you think I would struggle to grapple with some of the software/programmes that designers use? such as sketchup. I used GIS in my undergrad and found it quite tough so not sure if I would struggle having no prior experience.Any other positives/negatives of choosing this MA would be greatly appreciated...Thanks!
Original post by katiejefferis
Hello!I'm in the process of thinking about applying for an Urban Design Masters at Oxford Brookes.I'm unsure about the profession of Urban Design itself, however, and was wondering if anyone could give any insight into it...For example - it is a relatively new profession - are there many jobs in UD? And what is the average salary? Is it a good field to go into?I'm also curious to know whether it is a valuable masters, or whether firms would prefer someone from an Architectural background (my undergrad was in Geography). Is a MA in UD sufficient or do firms prefer straight Architectural knowledge? Also, having come from a geography background, do you think I would struggle to grapple with some of the software/programmes that designers use? such as sketchup. I used GIS in my undergrad and found it quite tough so not sure if I would struggle having no prior experience.Any other positives/negatives of choosing this MA would be greatly appreciated...Thanks!

Hi, I know this is very late but I was wondering how you have found the Urban Design field, now you have graduated? How are you finding your job and are you enjoying it? Are you getting a good salary, that you are happy with? I come from a similar geography undergrad background :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending