The Student Room Group

Peninsula Medical School...

Hi is there anyone out there that is at Peninsula or knows much about the course etc??What the uni itself is like??

I've booked a place on the Open Day coming up at Exeter but I live in Nottingham so I'm not sure if I'm going to be able to make it down there,limited cash flow atm!!

I'm really interested in the school,obviously ideally I will go for the open day but any info in the meantime would come in handy...thanks!!

Scroll to see replies

Try the NMM website, theres loads on PMS.
willow86
Hi is there anyone out there that is at Peninsula or knows much about the course etc??What the uni itself is like??

I've booked a place on the Open Day coming up at Exeter but I live in Nottingham so I'm not sure if I'm going to be able to make it down there,limited cash flow atm!!

I'm really interested in the school,obviously ideally I will go for the open day but any info in the meantime would come in handy...thanks!!

Yeah look at the site i was on there the other day its quite helpful, and im sure they would be helpful on the day and if necessary im sure you can phone and speak to someone in more depth.

have u found out any more information about the open day i signed up and have heard nothing more as of yet?
Reply 3
tom_tom_tom
Yeah look at the site i was on there the other day its quite helpful, and im sure they would be helpful on the day and if necessary im sure you can phone and speak to someone in more depth.

have u found out any more information about the open day i signed up and have heard nothing more as of yet?

I got a big envelope through the post this morning with details of places to stay if you have to stay overnight,umm a few details of the structure of the open day(says more will be given on the day) and a map of the place...that's about it.Are you planning to go to the one coming up then in Exeter?
For my interview, I stayed at Mini Tree Hotel- it was decent.
willow86
I got a big envelope through the post this morning with details of places to stay if you have to stay overnight,umm a few details of the structure of the open day(says more will be given on the day) and a map of the place...that's about it.Are you planning to go to the one coming up then in Exeter?

oo nice i shld hopefully get somethin in the post soonish then

and yeahh im comin, be interestin i think :biggrin:
Nasher and Basher
For my interview, I stayed at Mini Tree Hotel- it was decent.

Hey N&B, have you gotten a package with the fee structures and things yet? They said they will send it out soonish but I haven't received it....
I got a package about finance- bursary, thought it was nothing and so I have misplaced it. But now Im thinking, it could be more important than that. Is that what your talking about ?

About the loans to apply for, you cant until you have been allocated to a campus, as you request the loan for the specific campus. Or is this what you are talking about ?
Reply 8
101 Cynicism
Hey N&B, have you gotten a package with the fee structures and things yet? They said they will send it out soonish but I haven't received it....

Dont worry, Sue Locke said they're gonna send them out end of April or early of May when they fnish deciding which campus you are in!
willow86

The course is great once you get used to it. The course structure is PBL (problem based learning) meaning that the work you do will be mainly independent with only a few lectures on the side. Exeter as a uni is a great uni. The streatham campus is a bit of a trek away (30 mins walk, 10 mins by bus) but the people are all friendly and willingto help. The scenary is wonderful. The lecturers for the course, in particular the anatomy guy IMO are brilliant, anatomy is supposed to be one of the hardest subjects alongside embryology but the guy we have makes it soo much more easier.
You cover a new case unit every two weeks, in those two weeks you will have about 3 PBL sessions where you discuss the case, come up with learning objectives within your allocated group. You'll have two LSRC or life science resource center sessions where you learnthe core science behind the topic this includes the anatomy, physiology biochemistry etc etc. and you also have lectures and one community placement.
One important thing to note is that PMS dont do dissections, now i found this a bit of a bummer really, but you'll come to realise that there isnt much point in dissections anyway, since we have loads of plastic models to use, and from what my mate at GKT cadavers re a "waste of time anyway".
There are a few kinks in the way pms works, but they are being ironed out all the time.
It depends what your view on PBL is really, i personally hate PBL and still do sometimes, but ive gotten used to it now, and things are starting to make sense!. You dont have to go to the open day if you dont make it, you will still get shown around at interview day anyway (if you make it that far). The city is small though in comparison to plymouth but i'd rather be in Exeter than in plymouth...mainly because i dont like associating myself with plymouth uni lol!.
Reply 10
iceman_jondoe
The course is great once you get used to it. The course structure is PBL (problem based learning) meaning that the work you do will be mainly independent with only a few lectures on the side. Exeter as a uni is a great uni. The streatham campus is a bit of a trek away (30 mins walk, 10 mins by bus) but the people are all friendly and willingto help. The scenary is wonderful. The lecturers for the course, in particular the anatomy guy IMO are brilliant, anatomy is supposed to be one of the hardest subjects alongside embryology but the guy we have makes it soo much more easier.
You cover a new case unit every two weeks, in those two weeks you will have about 3 PBL sessions where you discuss the case, come up with learning objectives within your allocated group. You'll have two LSRC or life science resource center sessions where you learnthe core science behind the topic this includes the anatomy, physiology biochemistry etc etc. and you also have lectures and one community placement.
One important thing to note is that PMS dont do dissections, now i found this a bit of a bummer really, but you'll come to realise that there isnt much point in dissections anyway, since we have loads of plastic models to use, and from what my mate at GKT cadavers re a "waste of time anyway".
There are a few kinks in the way pms works, but they are being ironed out all the time.
It depends what your view on PBL is really, i personally hate PBL and still do sometimes, but ive gotten used to it now, and things are starting to make sense!. You dont have to go to the open day if you dont make it, you will still get shown around at interview day anyway (if you make it that far). The city is small though in comparison to plymouth but i'd rather be in Exeter than in plymouth...mainly because i dont like associating myself with plymouth uni lol!.

Thankyou for the response,that's helped a lot...a few more questions for you if you don't mind?!

Do you have any choice in what campus you are allocated to...like Exeter or Plymouth?Is it a 50/50 split of students at each one?

What about the accommodation...can you choose from only the uni you are allocated to?Are there many mature students that live in halls?I'll be 23 and am debating whether I'd want to rent privately.

Could you also let me know a bit more about what the interview is like?Do you know any stats on how many people are interviewd compared to places offered or numbers applying etc?

What grades did you get for your AS/A-levels and what work experience did you have?

Thankyou!!
willow86
Thankyou for the response,that's helped a lot...a few more questions for you if you don't mind?!

Do you have any choice in what campus you are allocated to...like Exeter or Plymouth?Is it a 50/50 split of students at each one?

What about the accommodation...can you choose from only the uni you are allocated to?Are there many mature students that live in halls?I'll be 23 and am debating whether I'd want to rent privately.

Could you also let me know a bit more about what the interview is like?Do you know any stats on how many people are interviewd compared to places offered or numbers applying etc?

What grades did you get for your AS/A-levels and what work experience did you have?

Thankyou!!

Your welcome. In answer to your other questions:
After you pass the interview stage and receive an offer, you are randomly allocated to either exeter or plymouth, however, if you have good enough reason to be located at a particular campus then you can contact the locality office by email stating your reasons. You can then hopefully be allocated to the campus of your choice for the first 2 years. Yeap its pretty much a 50/50 split half the year at plymouth for the first 2 years half at Exeter, Your generally placed into one of 5 or 6 groups at the beginning of the year which will then determine which of the years your in Exeter which of the years your in plymouth and which of the years your in Truro (another random place a bit further on from plymouth). If your not happy with the allocation you can always try and swap with someone else in your locality.
Mature students tend to live in the uni accomodation alongside the other first year medics. They all did this year. Sadly there is no ensuite accomodation should you wish to want it. Yes you can rent privately for the first year as i did, but you do miss out on alot of the uni "experience" as it where, and it may be slightly more difficult to interact with everyone, but it depends how you want to play it. I rent a private studio flat a believe me it costs a bomb. So cost is another issue you might want to consider.
For what the interview will be like check out this thread i created on the new media medicine website:

http://www.newmediamedicine.com/forum/showthread.php?t=36568

It will tell you what to expect at interview, how to deal with it and also how to ace it!. In terms of stats your looking at 7-8 applicants for each place, that said most people choose pms as a backup anyway, but its just as competitive as all the other med schools. If i remember correctly about 3000 applicants applied to start in 2007, of those 900 where interviewed and about 400 or so were given offers. More offers tend to be given out than places so you have a fairly good shot if you get to the interview stage.

In terms of grades i had AAAB at AS and only ABB at A2. They interview everyone with the required grades already, and obviously UKCAT for all undergrads or GAMSAT if your a postgraduate is also crucial to the selection process.
Work experience is the usual things that every other medical hopeful does, pretty standard things like shadowing Gp's volunteer work at elderly homes/hospitals etc etc.
Reply 12
What are the differences between doing the medicine course, either in Exeter or Plymouth? Good and bad sides of both- accommodation and social atmosphere wise?
I got a letter this morning saying that I've been placed in Exeter, but I'm really not sure if that's where I want to go. But then again, I've only been to Exeter for the interview, and I haven't been to Plymouth at all. Any advice would be much appreciated. Thank you!
You should check out the newmediamedicine site for more info, plus I also got Exeter.
Congratz.
N&B, have you accepted your PMS offer as your firm or insurance?
Its gonna be my firm, but Im going to do on Friday. Im still thinking of taking a gap year.
Is it your firm or insurance ?
Its my insurance, but now I'm left wondering if I made the right decision :s-smilie:
Alex L
Its my insurance, but now I'm left wondering if I made the right decision :s-smilie:

Why ??
Just because. I would've been the same if I'd firmed PMS instead of Manchester, wondering if it was right

Latest

Trending

Trending