The Student Room Group

easy to get 2.1 at RG uni?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by steamed hams
i studied a similar degree what do u do now? i graduated and still unemployed

Store Manager in Retail Sector.

I had the option to move straight to PhD Student but 19,000 a year was not enough at the time. Maybe in the future i would return and pursue this.

You have to take the lower paid jobs and get experience in your degree, I had management experience so was able to apply for plenty of graduate schemes and race to final 50 without much issue. I knew what each company looked for and the recruitment criteria, i was tactical about job hunting!
Yes, I'd say its harder to NOT get a 2:1 - 1st is a bit different imo
Am I the only one finding it laughable that someone is even contemplating that a degree is "easy"?

I can tell you my Biomedical Science degree was FAR from easy and required a lot of work! If you find something easy then that's all well and good but seriously, do something because you enjoy it otherwise, the degree won't be worth it...

Coming from someone with a 2.1 in Biomedical Science which I worked my ASS OFF for!
Maintaining a 1st in Engineering (so far) has been relatively easy.

There were apparently 45 who did better than me and 40 who did worse. Yet i averaged 73%. That's over half the course getting 1sts lol. This is a good uni too. That being said i wouldn't be surprised if this year was super difficult
Original post by Princepieman
it's pretty easy at lower ranked unis/unis with relatively lower entry requirements but very, very hard at unis where most students have achieved AAB-A*AA+ in their a-levels. legitimately, unless you are a genius, don't **** around in the latter.

I'm not sure how much I believe that. Presumably universities have exam boards which examine standards to which work most adhere to in order to be first or second etc.

As someone waiting to start my undergraduate, I wont pretend to know all the ins and outs, but I just don't see how the lower ranked universities would get away with giving higher grades to essentially low achievers.
Original post by AndrewMarkSP
I'm not sure how much I believe that. Presumably universities have exam boards which examine standards to which work most adhere to in order to be first or second etc.

As someone waiting to start my undergraduate, I wont pretend to know all the ins and outs, but I just don't see how the lower ranked universities would get away with giving higher grades to essentially low achievers.

I mean, this is literally coming from my own experience of this transition. All you have to do is look at the syllabus and the exams themselves between the two types of universities to show you that there are bonafide differences in rigour.

It's not that universities with lower entry requirements give higher grades (in fact, they probably don't), it's that they are teaching to a lower standard of rigour and difficulty than universities with higher entry requirements. The marking is also nowhere near as lenient at the latter.

Respectfully, until you've sat down to do the comparison I'm not sure you can really comment on this difference - all you have to do is ask anyone who has done this comparison.

As a case in point, I went out the night before ~3 of my exams in my old uni (combined with very little revision) and got a first and 2 2:1s. I actually put in a bit of work for the exams at my new uni, but still had to resit 4 of them - to pass those resits comfortably (i.e. 2:1+ marks) I had to work a solid 12+ hours a day in revision season.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 5 years ago)
I mean, this is literally coming from my own experience of this transition. All you have to do is look at the syllabus and the exams themselves between the two types of universities to show you that there are bonafide differences in rigour.

It's not that universities with lower entry requirements give higher grades (in fact, they probably don't), it's that they are teaching to a lower standard of rigour and difficulty than universities with higher entry requirements. The marking is also nowhere near as lenient at the latter.

Respectfully, until you've sat down to do the comparison I'm not sure you can really comment on this difference - all you have to do is ask anyone who has done this comparison.

As a case in point, I went out the night before ~3 of my exams in my old uni (combined with very little revision) and got a first and 2 2:1s. I actually put in a bit of work for the exams at my new uni, but still had to resit 4 of them - to pass those resits comfortably (i.e. 2:1+ marks) I had to work a solid 12+ hours a day in revision season.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm not saying you're wrong, or that I dont believe your experiences. I'm just saying that I struggle with the idea of it. The way I've always thought is that the lower ranked universities simply teach the basics needed for that qualification, whereas higher ranked universities go into more depth, which in almost all cases would provide the student with a more rounded education. But I don't see how a university could get away with being "lenient", which essentially IS giving a student a higher mark than than they deserve.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Wait, uni resits are capped at 40% though so, how did you manage to resit it and get a 2:1 mark unless you put in for ECs (Extenuating Circumstances)?
Original post by Scienceisgood
Wait, uni resits are capped at 40% though so, how did you manage to resit it and get a 2:1 mark unless you put in for ECs (Extenuating Circumstances)?

you get to see the resit marks despite them being capped and first year doesn't determine your degree grade anyway.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 49
I’ve been to two universities both a Russell group and a non Russell group university. Tbh I wouldn’t say one was much harder than the other in terms of being able to achieve the same grade, provided you pay at attention and put the work in. I think the biggest difference I noticed was just the way in which the content was taught. I originally took a course at a non-Russell group university but I changed to a degree apprenticeship at a Russell group uni with a very similar but slightly different course - so literally started again. Ended up with exactly the same grade though.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending