The Student Room Group

GCSE Results Day ... Radio?! Help!!

Ok, so long story short, results day is on the 23rd August. My school opens at 9:30 for everyone to collect their results except me and 2 or 3 other “high ability students”. I’ve never been a really socially comfortable person and to be honest (although this is completely juxtaposing 😂), I’m one of the most modest people you’ll ever meet. School have contacted my parents asking me to come in at 7:30 to then, with the 2 or 3 others, go to a radio station to discuss our results. On air. To the country. The thought of that actually terrifies me. My exams all went well or ok however the concept of this really is just harrowing, especially as a lot of the subjects are once more only just adapting to the new 9-1 marking system, and there aren’t any fixed boundaries yet. So OK for me might only be a grade 6 (B ) on the old spectrum.

Sorry about this rant. 😂 Just wondering if anyone has ever been in a similar situation or has any advice? I used to suffer from really bad social anxiety, to the extent I couldn’t talk in front of large groups of people or I’d stutter, shake and essentially break down. I’m a lot better than that now however it’s still a nagging worry in the back of my mind.

Thanks everyone.
Reply 1
No offence but I don’t think anyone cba reading all that ... perhaps next time shorten it down ALOT. And get straight to the point instead of writing a fat story 🙃
Original post by Kev lad
No offence but I don’t think anyone cba reading all that ... perhaps next time shorten it down ALOT. And get straight to the point instead of writing a fat story 🙃

Fair enough, I wanted to give people context otherwise on other threads I’ve seen people tend to repeat themselves. Thanks for your feedback.
Reply 3
Just say no. You're under no obligation to do this - did the school even ask if you wanted to? It seems pretty insensitive of them if they didn't. I find quite a few of our top performers decline the chance of getting their face in the local paper, so they'd certainly turn down a live interview.

I'm not even sure the exam rules allow you to do this as they say:
centres must not release press releases or statements to the media under any circumstances until after 9.30am on the appropriate date for the publication of results
I'd take that as meaning you can't do an interview at 0730 (though the stuff in the press proves people break this one every year).
Original post by Compost
Just say no. You're under no obligation to do this - did the school even ask if you wanted to? It seems pretty insensitive of them if they didn't. I find quite a few of our top performers decline the chance of getting their face in the local paper, so they'd certainly turn down a live interview.

I'm not even sure the exam rules allow you to do this as they say:
centres must not release press releases or statements to the media under any circumstances until after 9.30am on the appropriate date for the publication of results
I'd take that as meaning you can't do an interview at 0730 (though the stuff in the press proves people break this one every year).

I hadn’t even thought about looking into the law side of things! I’m definitely going to pull this up with them, thank you so much for pulling this to my attention.
Reply 5
Original post by 13KJohnson13
I hadn’t even thought about looking into the law side of things! I’m definitely going to pull this up with them, thank you so much for pulling this to my attention.

I quoted from the document here - page 2 -https://www.jcq.org.uk/exams-office/results-and-certification/release-of-results-june-2018
Great, thank you!
Ok, so long story short, results day is on the 23rd August. My school opens at 9:30 for everyone to collect their results except me and 2 or 3 other “high ability students”. I’ve never been a really socially comfortable person and to be honest (although this is completely juxtaposing 😂), I’m one of the most modest people you’ll ever meet. School have contacted my parents asking me to come in at 7:30 to then, with the 2 or 3 others, go to a radio station to discuss our results. On air. To the country. The thought of that actually terrifies me. My exams all went well or ok however the concept of this really is just harrowing, especially as a lot of the subjects are once more only just adapting to the new 9-1 marking system, and there aren’t any fixed boundaries yet. So OK for me might only be a grade 6 (B ) on the old spectrum.

Sorry about this rant. 😂 Just wondering if anyone has ever been in a similar situation or has any advice? I used to suffer from really bad social anxiety, to the extent I couldn’t talk in front of large groups of people or I’d stutter, shake and essentially break down. I’m a lot better than that now however it’s still a nagging worry in the back of my mind.

Thanks everyone.

Ignore what the other person said, the post is fine, if someone doesn't want to read through all of it they can skim through or chose not to so it's your choice, but it's not too long.

As @Compost mentioned the school aren't allowed to do it at that time and 7:30 is before aqa release their grade boundaries too,so that should be a good reason for them to not do it at that time and if you don't want to do it then say as you are under no obligation to
(edited 5 years ago)
Honestly so glad I posted this now that this has come to light. Thank you! Also a quick thank you about the length clarity. As you can tell by my little green line thing I’m quite new to this 😂
(edited 5 years ago)
Honestly so glad I posted this now that this has come to light. Thank you! Also a quick thank you about the length clarity. As you can tell by my little green line thing I’m quite new to this 😂

I'm glad if I helped at all and everyone else that helped will too. The green line things are reputation gems.
Awesome, thanks for clearing that up. You certainly did. ☺️ Thank you.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending