The Student Room Group

Average student bills

Hi. I’m in a fight with my flatmate and I would like to know the average for student bills in Bath (or surrounding areas) we’ve currently got one quote (from split my bills) at 10.80 per person per week and they are arguing that this is too much. This seems pretty reasonable for the five of us but am I just being deluded? It includes gas, water, electricity and broadband
Reply 1
Original post by HickeyOrBruise
Hi. I’m in a fight with my flatmate and I would like to know the average for student bills in Bath (or surrounding areas) we’ve currently got one quote (from split my bills) at 10.80 per person per week and they are arguing that this is too much. This seems pretty reasonable for the five of us but am I just being deluded? It includes gas, water, electricity and broadband

I don't know what the prices are like in Bath but £10.80 seems VERY cheap. How could you possibly argue paying £10.80 per week?
Original post by Jpw1097
I don't know what the prices are like in Bath but £10.80 seems VERY cheap. How could you possibly argue paying £10.80 per week?

That’s what I said!!! I was talking to my parents and they thought it would be in the region of 60-80 quid per month- Bath isn’t exactly cheap (I live in London during the holidays) and I just don’t know how to win this argument because I believe I have a good deal (they have yet to come up with a quote and they resent paying that much but want on demand TV)
10.80 x 5 people = £54 a week
£54 x 4 weeks = £216 a month

Seems a bit steep.
Original post by Retired_Messiah
10.80 x 5 people = £54 a week
£54 x 4 weeks = £216 a month

Seems a bit steep.

That’s for all our TV, electricity, water and gas. Per person it’s about the average my friends are paying
£10.80 a week, there is an old saying, to good to be true. Run the **** away, seriously.
Original post by random_matt
£10.80 a week, there is an old saying, to good to be true. Run the **** away, seriously.

No it’s like a university recommend website. It’s legit and all that. I know tons of people who use it.
No it’s like a university recommend website. It’s legit and all that. I know tons of people who use it.

And I'm sure any average smuck can advertise on it.
Original post by random_matt
And I'm sure any average smuck can advertise on it.

Maybe but it seems to work for everyone I know 🤷🏼*♀️
That’s for all our TV, electricity, water and gas. Per person it’s about the average my friends are paying

I found a thing about average gas and electric prices, if you have a full breakdown of how much each bit costs you'll be able to work with it better than I can.
https://www.ovoenergy.com/guides/energy-guides/the-average-gas-bill-average-electricity-bill-compared.html

That’s what I said!!! I was talking to my parents and they thought it would be in the region of 60-80 quid per month- Bath isn’t exactly cheap (I live in London during the holidays) and I just don’t know how to win this argument because I believe I have a good deal (they have yet to come up with a quote and they resent paying that much but want on demand TV)

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Stick-Alexa-Remote-Streaming-Player/dp/B01ETRIFOW

Buy one of these between you and split the cost of a netflix account. Netflix is a tenner a month, so 50p per week between the 5 of you. Has all the demand stuff, TV with one tiny subscription fee. Bosh. On a different note, if you sort splitting the bills yourselves rather than paying through some company like split the bills you'll also save on any possible management fees when they convert all your stuff into one bill. Those fees probably aren't too much to begin with but cut the total bill a lil bit if you cut that out altogether.

If your flatmates aren't wild about spending that much money there's easy ways of cutting it down. Rather than arguing "AAA it's actually not expensive lads", just propose ways of cutting the bill. Everybody wins then.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Stick-Alexa-Remote-Streaming-Player/dp/B01ETRIFOW

Buy one of these between you and split the cost of a netflix account. Netflix is a tenner a month, so 50p per week between the 5 of you. Has all the demand stuff, TV with one tiny subscription fee. Bosh. On a different note, if you sort splitting the bills yourselves rather than paying through some company like split the bills you'll also save on any possible management fees when they convert all your stuff into one bill. Those fees probably aren't too much to begin with but cut the total bill a lil bit if you cut that out altogether.

If your flatmates aren't wild about spending that much money there's easy ways of cutting it down. Rather than arguing "AAA it's actually not expensive lads", just propose ways of cutting the bill. Everybody wins then.

We all have our own Netflix account- mines connected to my families one. The argument at the moment is that they want on demand TV, apparently Netflix, Amazon prime and catch up TV (I have a separate TV license) isn’t enough. Split the bills is just easier and less hassle. Like I don’t think a tenner a week is bad but I am wondering if I’m just deluded?
We all have our own Netflix account- mines connected to my families one. The argument at the moment is that they want on demand TV, apparently Netflix, Amazon prime and catch up TV (I have a separate TV license) isn’t enough. Split the bills is just easier and less hassle. Like I don’t think a tenner a week is bad but I am wondering if I’m just deluded?

If y'all have a TV licence then just buy a freeview box for like 30 quid and calm down lmao. Monthly subscription TV services are garbage, honestly.

A tenner a week comes to about 40 quid a month which miiight be average (I don't actually know), but if there were glaringly obvious ways to pay less than I would. It's probably not a lot relative to the general bills market, but isn't insignificant relative to some student budgets.
If y'all have a TV licence then just buy a freeview box for like 30 quid and calm down lmao. Monthly subscription TV services are garbage, honestly.

A tenner a week comes to about 40 quid a month which miiight be average (I don't actually know), but if there were glaringly obvious ways to pay less than I would. It's probably not a lot relative to the general bills market, but isn't insignificant relative to some student budgets.

Exactly- it’s a waste of money. We all have laptops and can watch catchup on that. We also managed to go a year without it so 🤷🏼*♀️

Yeah I’ve looked and asked my other friends who are living in houses and they are paying either the same or two or three quid more. I just don’t get why if you could get **** cheaper why wouldn’t you?
Reply 13
Seems pretty reasonable to me. Chances are if you went to the effort of shopping around for gas+electicity suppliers, and broadband, you might be able to save a bit of cash, but I wouldn't imagine you'd be saving that much overall.

TBH I'd just say to the housemates either accept the tenner-a-week thing, or they can go ahead and sort it all out themselves, put all the bills in their own name and accept all liability if something goes wrong.
Original post by Dez
Seems pretty reasonable to me. Chances are if you went to the effort of shopping around for gas+electicity suppliers, and broadband, you might be able to save a bit of cash, but I wouldn't imagine you'd be saving that much overall.

TBH I'd just say to the housemates either accept the tenner-a-week thing, or they can go ahead and sort it all out themselves, put all the bills in their own name and accept all liability if something goes wrong.

Literally said that to them- but I’m more or less certain they will come up with something more expensive. The deal I’ve got with everything else is good but it’s the broadband and the TV and I know my other flatmates don’t want to pay extra for on demand tv but none of them will say anything for fear of “rocking the boat” but all of them have messaged me privately and the flatmate just won’t listen. I am at the end of my tether

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending