The Student Room Group

Bit worried about moving out

Am starting to have doubts about moving to uni for my second year...i currently commute from home (Leeds) to York and it is fairly tedious. Luckily i get to use my mum's car for free but the drive can take half an hour and it's not easy for me to get the car. I share journeys with my friend so it's ok, but i made the decision to move there next year into a shared house with 4 others, for the sake of being closer etc.

It's mainly the finance and cleanliness im worried about. I will really miss my family and my cats, but i'm not gonna be able to go home much as i'll have to work all weekend in order to support myself. I also have a boyfriend who i'll be alot closer to, but i won't see him that much more as there is no bus that goes to his house and i'll be working alot. The house rent is £65 a week, which is fairly cheap. The area it's in is about a 15-20 min walk to uni, it has lots of facilities and services such as pharmacy, food shops etc. Only thing is it's not got a great reputation, it's a sort of council estate but it's popular for students as it's cheap.

I'm a bit worried im not gonna be able to afford much, as my whole student loan will cover my rent, bills and probably food, but then for the rest i will have to work for and i get about £70 a week wage, which isn't bad i guess, but that's all weekend and one weekday. I'm also a bit worried about my housemates, and how clean there'll be, and there'll be no tumble dryer i dont think so there's not gonna be much room to dry clothes etc. It's a small house, with a decent downstairs but the rooms are fairly small but they'll do.

I dont know why im having so many doubts, i think im just worried about nothing but i will miss not being able to drive and having my family around me, but then again ill be closer to my boyfriend, uni and work. I was all up for it when i signed the contract but im worried ill regret it when i move in :frown:.

Help :frown:.
Reply 1
I think you're in...Tang Hall? It's not as bad as people make out, so don't worry.

Other people - you can only tell what they're like to live with when you're living with them. It's good that you're stretching your wings though, even if people irritate you with their mess you'll have experienced living away from home and that's important. Don't worry and just look forward to being 15 minutes away from campus, so you can practically roll out of bed for lectures.

Latest

Trending

Trending