The Student Room Group

Switching uni accom

Hey,

I've been at uni about 6 weeks now and my flat aren't the most social. They're all nice etc but it can get really lonely sometimes and I've not met a lot of new people.. I requested to change accommodations to an accom that has a more social rep but am worried its too far into the term and it'll just be awkward if I move into a flat that may have already bonded now. Help please! Any advice will be truly appreciated x
Original post by Anonymous
Hey,

I've been at uni about 6 weeks now and my flat aren't the most social. They're all nice etc but it can get really lonely sometimes and I've not met a lot of new people.. I requested to change accommodations to an accom that has a more social rep but am worried its too far into the term and it'll just be awkward if I move into a flat that may have already bonded now. Help please! Any advice will be truly appreciated x

I feel the same :frown:
It all depends on you, if you have a feeling that joining a more social centered accommodation is going to make you enjoy your days more, then go for it! But you’re not entirely wrong about the bonding part, so I’d make a list of pros and cons and just follow what your gut tells you to do! Whichever feels safe yk x
Hey,

Hey there!

I totally understand how you're feeling. It's not uncommon to experience some loneliness or difficulty in making new friends when you first start university. But don't worry, there are definitely ways to improve your social situation!

Firstly, it's great that you've already taken the initiative to request a change in accommodations. Even if it's later in the term, it's worth a try if you feel that a more social environment would suit you better. Moving into a flat with a reputation for being social could provide more opportunities to meet new people and make friends. Don't worry about it being awkward; people are usually quite welcoming and open to new flatmates, regardless of when they join.

While you wait for a potential accommodation change, there are other ways to meet new people and expand your social circle. Joining clubs, societies, or sports teams is a fantastic way to connect with others who share similar interests. These groups often organize social events and activities, providing a great opportunity to meet new people in a relaxed and friendly setting.

Additionally, consider attending events and activities organized by your university or student union. They often host social gatherings, workshops, and parties where you can mingle with other students. Keep an eye out for these events and be open to striking up conversations with people you meet there.

I hope these suggestions help, and I wish you all the best in making new friends and enjoying your university experience!

Best regards,

Ilya:biggrin:
Hey,

Hey,

I would definitely echo the advice you've been given above that it's great you've taken the initiative already :smile: Just wanted to also add, in case things don't work out/while you wait to hear back from the accommodation team, it could be worth putting yourself out there in your current flat to encourage them to be a bit more social? Maybe start by spending more time in shared spaces like the kitchen to get talking a bit more, and inviting them to do things like go out or even just watch a film together or something. This can really help you bond with them a bit more and even if they're not the most social in the going out sense, it'll still make you feel closer to them!

I had a similar flat situation in my first year and initially felt I wasn't getting the 'full uni experience', but we ended up making some great memories doing other stuff! I actually joined a club in my first year so I would go out every week still with a different group of people, but then still also had my flatmates too.

Hope this helps & best of luck with whatever you decide :smile:

Natalie
University of Kent Student Rep (2nd year PhD Psych)
Hey,

Hi!

Honestly, it's never too late. A lot of people around this time might be realising that they don't get along with people as well as they thought they did or are just looking for someone new to join their group. For me, we had a big group from lectures that we would hang out in and people would join us all the time by just coming up and starting to chat and they're always welcome. So - if you're brave enough - take a leap and start chatting with people. However, if that seems scary (which I wouldn't blame you for it kind of is) then societies and clubs will be a great place to meet new people and with all the nights out and trips together it will definitely have that social aspect you're looking for.

Moving is a gamble, it might work out well or you might be put with people you like less but if you feel strongly about it then go for it! Even if you do move I'd recommend looking for some nice people in other areas as well and then there'll always be a group of people you know doing something that you can always tag along to.

If you have any more questions please feel free to ask!

- Jessica
2nd year, Computer Science (Artificial Intelligence)
Hey,

Hi

I literally have the opposite issue to you haha, i have been finding my flat far too social, they are hosting pres or having people over every single night and i have started to just get uncomfortable in the flat as there are constantly people about. I also have requested to swap into a flat that is quieter as i think i would do much better there

so ik we are in opposite situations lol, but it is hard isnt it when you aren't clicking quite right with your flatmates.
I also havent met that many people either, and its hard especially since all my flatmates are so social

What uni are you at btw?
Nice to know theres other people who also dont love their flat as i feel like the only one sometimes aha
Reply 6
thank you for all your replies🥹🥹 I decided to bite the bullet and accept the transfer - I move next week! Trying to not be nervous and hoping it all works out…
thank you for all your replies🥹🥹 I decided to bite the bullet and accept the transfer - I move next week! Trying to not be nervous and hoping it all works out…

Hi,

Thanks for the update! I hope it all works out.

Alia
University of Kent Student Rep
Hey,

Hi!

Experiencing loneliness at university is completely normal and something everyone experiences at some point. In terms of meeting new people, joining a society could help you? Meeting people with similar interests could help foster a bond between you :smile: If you feel changing accommodations would help you, then I’m sure you’d be fine even if you have joined later! Invite them out to do things, be open and I’m sure they’d love to have you!

I hope this helps! :smile:

Estelle
Third Year Psychology
University of Huddersfield

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending