The Student Room Group

Should I learn one language at a time or more?

I'm learning Korean, Chinese, Portuguese, Spanish, Italian, Japanese and Dutch, and I've found that Korean, Chinese, Portuguese and Japanese are super easy to learn but the others I find are harder. I am English, should I learn them one at a time or should I learn them partly at once to see how many I can master? How about you guys? Do you learn one at a time? What languages are you learning and why?
Reply 1
Original post by LennieBennie
I'm learning Korean, Chinese, Portuguese, Spanish, Italian, Japanese and Dutch, and I've found that Korean, Chinese, Portuguese and Japanese are super easy to learn but the others I find are harder. I am English, should I learn them one at a time or should I learn them partly at once to see how many I can master? How about you guys? Do you learn one at a time? What languages are you learning and why?

My advice would be to learn one until you get to the point where you're pretty much 'finished' with grammar, that is to say, you're essentially not coming across any new grammar structures and it's just a matter of increasing your vocabulary. The reasons for doing this are twofold, firstly it gives you time to internalise the grammar of the language since you won't be flipping to-and-fro everyday (besides, you know, with English); secondly, it means that your mode of study for those languages can become more passive, you can learn words just watching a film, reading a book and what have.

It should be said that if you're finding Dutch, Spanish and Italian harder than Japanese, Chinese and Korean it's likely because you're able to start at a higher level than you could with Japanese and it's just the Dunning-Kruger effect making them seem easier. Though, that's just my guess. :smile:
Personally, I’m learning 4 atm at uni (French/Spanish as part of degree and Welsh/Italian as extra)

I think u should learn as many as u feel comfortable with at once, it’s nice to be able to switch from one language to the other instead of sticking with just one. Ur never gonna be absolutely perfect in any language so tackle as many as u want, don’t ve afraid to get confused, it does happen but the more u learn the more those mistakes will stop and it’s just more exciting imo

Hope this helps :h:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending