• Political Ambassador
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Name:  BANNER.jpg
Views: 87
Size:  247.8 KB

Hello everyone! My name's SomMC and I'm about to use this platform for the next year to commentate on my final year of high school.

I've recently restarted using TSR; I've spent quite a few weeks all over the forums and chats, eventually stumbling across the GYG section. I've been thoroughly enjoying the GYG threads from last year (basically binge reading them) and the idea of having one of my own sounds rather appealing to me, especially when I can look back at this thread and get all the memories back! So here I am!

Quick introduction:
I am currently a 17 years old guy (18 in October), I study the International Baccalaureate (IB) at a private school in Eastern Europe. I've been at this school from day 1 which allowed me to meet a lot of different people from a lot of different cultures - that's probably the #1 thing about private international schools.

I take my academics very seriously and the importance of academia has been drilled into my head by my parents from a young age. Having an older brother (who is very successful) served as both admiration and a bit of friendly competition (as in I wanted to achieve as much as he did, as good grades as he did). I saw how well my brother did in his iGCSE and IB and that served as the message that if he was able to get such great grades, I can do that too.

I had (and have) an amazing support system at home by my parents, who are trying everything they physically can to help me and try doing as much for me as they can - they pay for everything, they dont want me to get a part-time job, they are always there for my victories and failures, they fight for me both in school and out of it, they are just amazing. And although sometimes I get into little fights with them, it's insignificant and I'm forever thankful for everything they'd done for me for these past 17 years.

My high level of effort and trying to achieve as best grades as possible is currently the way of me showing how much I appreciate their faith in me.

My previous academic results:

iGCSE Results:
Spoiler:
Show

10A*&As:
A*: English language, German, Biology
A: Maths, Economics, Geography, History, Chemistry, Physics, English Literature

Albeit getting a certificate for Additional Maths in Y10, I dropped Additional Maths in Y11 after getting 24% in the opening test in Y11

My goal at the beginning of Y10 and Y11 was to get all A*s.
With all the things that happened in Y10 and the fact I had no revision notes from Year 10 and I spend months writing those revision notes instead of learning year 11 material properly, I am pleased with my results.

Even after I finished my exams, I was confident that I'd get A*s German, Maths and Economics. Somehow, I missed maths AND economics but got English and Biology (lowkey proud of A* in bio as I did a rages to riches there from a B/C -> A* within year 11 )

International Baccalaureate Y12 Results (Internal End of Years):
Spoiler:
Show

High Level:
  • English - 6
  • Maths - 4
  • Economics - 7

Standard Level:
  • German - 7
  • Chemistry - 7
  • Physics - 7

For the IB, I do three high level subjects and three standard level subjects. (Btw, each subject is from 7 points):

- Happy with my economics, german, chemistry and physics performance

- only a 6 in English but that's still a very good grade considering I was doing the essay structure for the first time

- the level 4 in maths did screw me over. I was shooketh. A huge 16 point question from stat&prob was there and that topic was taught in under 2 weeks even though it's a topic worth 36 hours. I wanted to murder my teacher with my pen. I got 3/16 on that question. I already knew I was done.

My dad and I tried talking to the principle about getting me a 6 predicted but a compromise was reached for 2 maths tests to be held in September - hence why Im studying like a maniac for maths. If I do that test well, they guarantee me a level 7 prediction which would change my entire application! #pray4me

International Baccalaureate Predictions:

Spoiler:
Show

High Level:
  • English - 7
  • Maths - 6 or 7 <- TBD in September!
  • Economics - 7

Standard level:
  • German - 7
  • Chemistry - 7
  • Physics - 7

The official predictions are not yet known but through my yearly performance and discussions with teachers, I know for a fact that economics, german, chemistry and physics are going to be 7s; English most probably too. The only subject which is not fully known yet is Maths - the tests will decide though.

So overall, my predictions plus my iGCSE would put me into a strong academic position for my university choices - I reckon it comes down to the personal statement in my case.

My aim for grades:
The real aim is to get at least 38 points on the actual exams next year. Alongside that, I need to get 666 at high level with 6 in HL maths too. Maths has been my weak point in year 12 and I need to improve drastically on that in year 13 - I already nearly revised all topics from Y12 and am doing past papers in preparation for September maths tests!

University Choices:
I've always wanted to pursue something with economics and finance, ever since I started studying it in iGCSE. I've decided to apply for courses with Accounting and Finance. These courses are very competitive at the top-tier, so it'll be very exciting to see the offers pouring in. Luckily for me, there are no interviews! So either you get the offer or you don't.
Spoiler:
Show

London School of Economics - BSc Accounting and Finance
Typical offer: 666 at High Level, 38 total points

University of Manchester - BA Accounting and Finance
Typical offer: 665 at High Level, 35 points

University of Warwick - Accounting and Finance
Typical offer: 665 at High Level, 38 points

King's College London - Accounting and Finance
Typical offer: 666 at High Level, 35 points

University College London - BSc Management Science
Typical offer: 666 at High Level, 38 points

All of these schools are fantastic and I'd be happy to go into any of them. However, my absolute favorite has to be London School of Economics (LSE). I've been in London last year and I've been on a private tour of it. I've been researching it for months, I know how good it is, I know the career opportunities I will have from the school, I know how superior their course is to any other school. It is my dream school.
I try not to be too fixated for just one school - just in case it doesn't work out but LSE is the goal.

According to QS ranking, in the field of social sciences, LSE is #2, UCL #30, Warwick #34, Manchester #39 and King's #54 in the WORLD. All of them are the best of the best.

The careers opened to me would be huge and it's very exciting to be able to apply to such high quality schools!

Application process:
In terms of my application, I hope to have my application send off by the 20th September 2018.

I got my 2 important maths tests in Week 2 in September. Once that's done, nothing should be in the way of my application.

My personal statement is done now. I only need to polish it with my English teacher for a better flow and just making it look more pretty.

The reason I'm applying as early as Oxbridge people is because I want to get offers before Christmas Holidays. Usually, it takes LSE up to 12 weeks or more for them to reply with an answer and the wait is just too long for me!! Theoretically, I could get a reply from LSE just before Christmas if I time it well.
Of course I rather wait a bit than pointlessly rushing my application though but if all goes well, the goal is to submit before 20th September!

That seems like enough for the opening post of this lovely new GYG!

I hope you stay tuned in for the upcoming updates!

If you would like to follow and be an active part of this journey, let me know and I'll be sure to add you to my tag crew!

Tag Crew :hugs:
Infinite Series
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Tag me pleaaase!!!
It says you got 10A*s at GCSE but then you wrote 3A*s and 7As under it.

To make banners, I used Adobe Photoshop. For a tag list, you type the '@' sign and then type the persons name. Then click on the name when it appears e.g SomMC1

This is going to be amazing! Good luck with everything, I know you can do it
Btw, I'll always be here if you need any help
SomMC1
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
(Original post by Grade A)
Tag me pleaaase!!!
It says you got 10A*s at GCSE but then you wrote 3A*s and 7As under it.

To make banners, I used Adobe Photoshop. For a tag list, you type the '@' sign and then type the persons name. Then click on the name when it appears e.g SomMC1

This is going to be amazing! Good luck with everything, I know you can do it
Btw, I'll always be here if you need any help
My man, it says '10A*&As', as in no Bs were attained hahah Grade A works
I made a banner and it's a .jpg, how do I put it into the original thread though?!

Thanks man, it'll be a fun year! Can't wait to share it on the gyg & see your gyg grow too. dont disappoint
Infinite Series
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by SomMC1)
My man, it says '10A*&As', as in no Bs were attained hahah Grade A works
I made a banner and it's a .jpg, how do I put it into the original thread though?!

Thanks man, it'll be a fun year! Can't wait to share it on the gyg & see your gyg grow too. dont disappoint
silly me.
Upload your banner onto imgur, copy the FULL link of the pic by right clicking on the pic, then click 'copy link address; (url should end in .jpg).
Then go to your thread and type [IMG]insertURLhere[/IMG]

Looks like i've got some competition for that Macbook
CoffeeAndPolitics
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
SomMC1 Could you tag me please and good luck!
SomMC1
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
(Original post by CoffeeAndPolitics)
SomMC1 Could you tag me please and good luck!
Got ya CoffeeAndPolitics, thanks for joining me on this journey <3
entertainmyfaith
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
good luck for this year!
SomMC1
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
(Original post by entertainmyfaith)
good luck for this year!
thank you entertainmyfaith, it'll be a very exciting year with all the application process. Surely it'll make for a nice little GYG
CoolCavy
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Good luck :yeah:
SomMC1
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
(Original post by CoolCavy)
Good luck :yeah:
Thank you CoolCavy :dancing2:
username3989988
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
SomMC1 Will be following and watching this. Ich hatte keine Ahnung dass du deutsch sprichst! (I'm a bit rusty excuse any mistakes + I'm to lazy too correct anything rn)Maybe you mentioned it, if you did, I'm forgetful sorry. Good luck year 13! I've been looking at some uni courses and it's making me stressed. Both Oxford and Cambridge don't offer astrophysics courses... Anyways. Good luck!
SomMC1
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
(Original post by MaizieAmyr)
SomMC1 Will be following and watching this. Ich hatte keine Ahnung dass du deutsch sprichst! (I'm a bit rusty excuse any mistakes + I'm to lazy too correct anything rn)Maybe you mentioned it, if you did, I'm forgetful sorry. Good luck year 13! I've been looking at some uni courses and it's making me stressed. Both Oxford and Cambridge don't offer astrophysics courses... Anyways. Good luck!
Glad to have you aboard on this adventure, thank you, means a lot!<3 MY FELLOW GERMANERRRRRRRRRRRRR!!!! Hallo! Wie alt bist du? Ich bin 17 Jahre alt. Jetzt werde ich in Y13 gehen. Hast du Deustche Prufungen in Year 10 gemacht, wiel du ein A* hast?
Du hast noch viel Ziel, um die Unis zu-thinken (lol forgot the word for german ) Youre still gonna have SO much time to think about unis tho. du musst dich relaxieren
username3989988
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Glad to have you aboard on this adventure, thank you, means a lot!<3 MY FELLOW GERMANERRRRRRRRRRRRR!!!! Hallo! Wie alt bist du? Ich bin 17 Jahre alt. Jetzt werde ich in Y13 gehen. Hast du Deustche Prufungen in Year 10 gemacht, wiel du ein A* hast?
Du hast noch viel Ziel, um die Unis zu-thinken (lol forgot the word for german ) Youre still gonna have SO much time to think about unis tho. du musst dich relaxieren
Yay! :hugs: You half german or something? Hallo, Ich bin 16, du weist doch! Ich habe auch ein GYG. Hoffentlich. Ich glaube das wort für zu-thinken ist 'nach zu denken' (or 'nachzudenken'?) GCSEs have made me into a workaholic (idk how to spell :rofl:) so I'm struggling to relax atm. :heart:
SomMC1
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Yay! :hugs: You half german or something? Hallo, Ich bin 16, du weist doch! Ich habe auch ein GYG. Hoffentlich. Ich glaube das wort für zu-thinken ist 'nach zu denken' (or 'nachzudenken'?) GCSEs have made me into a workaholic (idk how to spell :rofl:) so I'm struggling to relax atm. :heart:
Hahah Im definitely not half german, although my mom speaks perfectly sooo if I really wanted to learn german I could speak like a native but, as you couldve guessed, too lazy
Ich followe dein GYC. Du muss sehr dum sein, weil du zwei GYGs hast und sie das selbe sind. Warum hast du dein summer gyg? Ist noch nur ein GYG besser? Du bist richtig! Nachzudeken ist the wort
I promise youre gonna be more busy in Y12, unless you slack which I know you wont
username3989988
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Hahah Im definitely not half german, although my mom speaks perfectly sooo if I really wanted to learn german I could speak like a native but, as you couldve guessed, too lazy
Ich followe dein GYC. Du muss sehr dum sein, weil du zwei GYGs hast und sie das selbe sind. Warum hast du dein summer gyg? Ist noch nur ein GYG besser? Du bist richtig! Nachzudeken ist the wort
I promise youre gonna be more busy in Y12, unless you slack which I know you wont
Oh ok, your german is pretty good though. Ich habe mein GYG umbenant weil ich ein perfectionist bin und es mich ärgert wenn mein GYG im sommer anfängt. Es macht kein sinn aber so ist mein gehirn eben. :facepalm: I'm moment habe ich also nur ein GYG dass ich umbenant habe. Aber ich werde ein zweites anfangen. I know :dontknow: well let's hope I'll focus and work smartly.
SomMC1
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Oh ok, your german is pretty good though. Ich habe mein GYG umbenant weil ich ein perfectionist bin und es mich ärgert wenn mein GYG im sommer anfängt. Es macht kein sinn aber so ist mein gehirn eben. :facepalm: I'm moment habe ich also nur ein GYG dass ich umbenant habe. Aber ich werde ein zweites anfangen. I know :dontknow: well let's hope I'll focus and work smartly.
It must be good - after all your boy got A*

So you made two of them bc you started in summer. what sort of flawed logic is that!?:facepalm:
be sure to tag me in your results day posts x
username3989988
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
It must be good - after all your boy got A*

So you made two of them bc you started in summer. what sort of flawed logic is that!?:facepalm:
be sure to tag me in your results day posts x
Yeess :rofl: IT MAKES SENSE OK! :cry: :rofl: Willl do! :hugs:
SomMC1
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Yeess :rofl: IT MAKES SENSE OK! :cry: :rofl: Willl do! :hugs:
Keep telling yourself that if it makes you fall asleep at night better but just between you and me... it makes NO SENSE AT ALL.
Im excited for your results! lets hope you do extremely well :hugs:
username3989988
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Keep telling yourself that if it makes you fall asleep at night better but just between you and me... it makes NO SENSE AT ALL.
Im excited for your results! lets hope you do extremely well :hugs:
I know it makes no sense but I'm still making two. :rofl: I'm not exited.
SomMC1
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
I know it makes no sense but I'm still making two. :rofl: I'm not exited.
I gave advice on another thread to get drunk the night before results day bc that way you avoid the responsibility of results, but youre too young for that. You stick to apple juice or orange lemonade
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you made up your mind on your five uni choices?

Yes I know where I'm applying (100)
68.49%
No I haven't decided yet (27)
18.49%
Yes but I might change my mind (19)
13.01%

Watched Threads