The Student Room Group

Going to be living in a flat of guys... what should i do?

So heres the details.

Basically i'm going to be attending Uni next month and have been searching for accommodation in the nearby area since i wasnt able to get the one the Uni provides. I'm a very picky person and a hygiene freak so i HAVE to have an en-suite room since the idea of sharing is really uncomfortable for me.

So I managed to find a great place, it has amazing facilities, awesome common rooms and even better, is within my budget considering every other student hall is SO expensive. However, the admin person informed me that if i were to accept the room offer that there will also be three boys in the flat of four. I'm a rather reserved and timid person, however im not too uncomfortable being in a flat of guys as long as i have my own en-suite (which i do at this place).

So this is the dilemma I have. I love the place SOOO much and if i dont take it my only other option is to share a bathroom in a floor of twelve people (mixed genders with a boy and girl bathroom). I dont know if i should accept the offer because my main concern is the impression others may have of me if i lived in a flat full of boys. Im not a sexual person but i feel as though this may give the impression that i am. Will it? Should I decline the offer? What advice would you give if i were to take this place?

Thank You!
Original post by Anonymous
So heres the details.

Basically i'm going to be attending Uni next month and have been searching for accommodation in the nearby area since i wasnt able to get the one the Uni provides. I'm a very picky person and a hygiene freak so i HAVE to have an en-suite room since the idea of sharing is really uncomfortable for me.

So I managed to find a great place, it has amazing facilities, awesome common rooms and even better, is within my budget considering every other student hall is SO expensive. However, the admin person informed me that if i were to accept the room offer that there will also be three boys in the flat of four. I'm a rather reserved and timid person, however im not too uncomfortable being in a flat of guys as long as i have my own en-suite (which i do at this place).

So this is the dilemma I have. I love the place SOOO much and if i dont take it my only other option is to share a bathroom in a floor of twelve people (mixed genders with a boy and girl bathroom). I dont know if i should accept the offer because my main concern is the impression others may have of me if i lived in a flat full of boys. Im not a sexual person but i feel as though this may give the impression that i am. Will it? Should I decline the offer? What advice would you give if i were to take this place?

Thank You!

You're overthinking. Nobody will care if you live with 3 guys. It's just life. You can't always control who you live with.
Original post by Anonymous
So heres the details.

Thank You!

Most people wouldn't know you only lived with guys unless you told them, and if they're judging you for it (why would they?), then they're probably not the type of people you'd want to continue to associate with anyway. I really wouldn't worry about it. For what it's worth, you'd probably be living with more boys in the other flat, numerically, anyway. If you prefer the accommodation with the en-suites, I say go for that, but if you are uncomfortable, then don't. But don't rely on what others might think just in case they find out your flat happens to be like that (it's not as if you're choosing it for that reason!).
lul nobody's getting 9k into debt to lose sleep over who you live with
It's halls. Everyone knows they're randomly allocated, noones going to judge you on the random allocation from the accomodation office
I understand why you don’t want to live with 3 boys in a flat. I wouldn’t want to live with 3 boys in a flat! If you don’t want that vibe, then find somewhere else, but if you want to find some sugar and have a possible foursome, them be on your way.
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 6
I hate to break it to you OP but guys are much messier than girls [i've lived with both]

expect to be doing a lot of cleaning in a house full of student guys who've never been away from home before....
I was in a flat with 4 other boys in first year, it was completely fine
We shared a kitchen (had our own en-suites), and I could make small-talk with them etc.
We weren't besties, and I wouldn't necessarily choose to live with them again, but it was fine
Original post by ANM775
I hate to break it to you OP but guys are much messier than girls [i've lived with both]

expect to be doing a lot of cleaning in a house full of student guys who've never been away from home before....

I've lived with both, and its the opposite for me, haha!
Reply 9
Thanks for all of the replies, I think i'm going to be taking the accommodation since I'd prefer and en-suite over sharing. Though I havent really lived with guys before (My family is mainly all girls) so if anyone has any advice on how to set a few ground rules or anything of the sort to kinda set boundaries is guess (i dont know if this sounds right?) any advice is much appreciated since im a little nervous!
Original post by ANM775

I lived in a flat with four girls and three guys and the guys’ rooms were so clean and tidy that I couldn’t believe it.
I think it has more to do with the person rather than the gender.
Also living in floor of twelve people is bound to be messier.

OP if your only problem is what people might think I’d say go for it. Nobody will care.
Tbh I would probably feel a tiny bit uncomfortable too but in the end the ensuite would win. And if you end up not liking the guys you don’t have to spend much time with them. You’ll have your own room and bathroom and the only time you will have to see them is when you’re cooking.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending