The Student Room Group

places to find a gap year job?

hi everyone :smile:

i kind of want to take a gap year simply because i feel it is the best option for me, and it would also allow me to do some things i want to do before university. however, my parents aren't too keen on the idea AT ALL unfortunately, and it is difficult to convince them.

during a gap year they do not want me to, for example, work in retail. they want me to do something "meaningful" and potentially something which could link to what i want to study at university (economics). i wasn't always intending to take a gap year and so i haven't been job searching as much as i wanted to and definitely didn't look into gap year job options whilst still at college.

im just wondering if there's any where i could look to obtain a job, but more specifically a job which my parents would be "approving" of (i have been applying to quite a few retail places though).

thank you
Reply 1
yeah there is no point of doing a gap year to do a casual job. i took a gap year cos i didnt wanna jump into uni i didnt want to be that guy who went cos had no idea what to do otherwise. i did an accounting apprenticeship and studied aat and got some good work experience down. the best thing was that i could decide whether i just wanted to stay on and study further while an apprentice but that sector wasnt for me. which was a good thing cos i was gonna study accounting at uni if i chose to go straight to uni without doing that apprenticeship. i still went o uni but studied a diff course at a better uni cos did that aat it has like 160 ucas back in the day
(edited 5 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending