The Student Room Group

LADS- The worst has happened and I need help? (results day)

So the results are f*cked like I expected I failed Law, but then I got a grade 4 on maths. I do want to study A level maths as one of my A-levels but i'm not sure if that's an option. I know I can put the work in. I just for some reason didn't do sh*t to revise for the exam. I'm a homeschooler. What are my options?
Lads?
I would not recommend it if I'm to be absolutely honest.

Have you done much A-level maths over the summer? How have you found it?

Really a 4 indicates to me that you lack skills integral to A-level maths and that you'll struggle immensely with the introductory topics that assume grade 7-9 knowledge.
Reply 3
Original post by AspiringAccount
So the results are f*cked like I expected I failed Law, but then I got a grade 4 on maths. I do want to study A level maths as one of my A-levels but i'm not sure if that's an option. I know I can put the work in. I just for some reason didn't do sh*t to revise for the exam. I'm a homeschooler. What are my options?

I don't think u can be stopped from doing it as u r homeschooled, (sixth forms would) but in a levels your grades tend to drop by 2, so I really don't know if it's wise with a grade 4
Original post by _gcx
I would not recommend it if I'm to be absolutely honest.

Have you done much A-level maths over the summer? How have you found it?

Really a 4 indicates to me that you lack skills integral to A-level maths and that you'll struggle immensely with the introductory topics that assume grade 7-9 knowledge.

what if I were to retake and get a grade 8? I wasn't bothered to revise for some reason.

Are you planning on homeschooling for your A-levels?
Original post by Evil Homer
Are you planning on homeschooling for your A-levels?

Hell no the costs are doubled.
what if I were to retake and get a grade 8? I wasn't bothered to revise for some reason.

You can give it a go, but it's quite a jump...

Just a warning that A-Level maths is a huge jump up from GCSE maths, people which have had A*'s in maths have dropped A-Level maths because of how different it is.

But if you feel like you can handle the workload, try it for a couple of weeks. Don't leave it too late to change, even if you're homeschooled - the year goes too fast.
Original post by _gcx
You can give it a go, but it's quite a jump...

How is it a jump?
Hell no the costs are doubled.

Well then first things first you need to see if the college or six form you want to go to will accept you taking A-levels Maths with a 4. Once you know that you can sit down and think about the best thing to do.
Original post by Evil Homer
Well then first things first you need to see if the college or six form you want to go to will accept you taking A-levels Maths with a 4. Once you know that you can sit down and think about the best thing to do.

That sounds great. So I assume they don't take retakes well. I was thinking that I would retake and get an 8.
How is it a jump?

Have you looked at an A-Level maths paper?

It's got 6 modules (don't know about now), and people are saying that it's become much harder as well.
There are things like Integration, Differentiation, Stats etc.

You should look through the content, and see how well you do. If you still think it's right for you, go for it.
How is it a jump?

to go up 4 grades in a few months is quite an ask.

by all means go for it if you want to.
If you desperately want to do a level maths, you should retake your GCSEs as a level maths requires about 7-9 grades in GCSE to even get in. However, I’m sure there are plenty of good options instead of GCSEs like apprenticeships or vocational courses so I wouldn’t stress over it.

Quick Reply

Latest