The Student Room Group

MAst and MPhil, Physics

Hi everyone. I already know that MAst is predominantly taught while MPhil is predominantly research, but what does "predominantly" mean? Something like 30%-70% or something like 5%-95%?

I also have a few questions about funding. Are there funding statistics available anywhere? I mean, what is the probability of getting a scholarship? Are there any difference between the two courses?

I'm also interested in hearing about your personal experiences, especially for the MPhil, because I couldn't really find anything online, but of course every opinion is welcome!
Reply 1
Original post by gnegnegne
Hi everyone. I already know that MAst is predominantly taught while MPhil is predominantly research, but what does "predominantly" mean? Something like 30%-70% or something like 5%-95%?

I also have a few questions about funding. Are there funding statistics available anywhere? I mean, what is the probability of getting a scholarship? Are there any difference between the two courses?

I'm also interested in hearing about your personal experiences, especially for the MPhil, because I couldn't really find anything online, but of course every opinion is welcome!

I think the MAst is exactly the same as the 4th year (Part III) of the physics undergrad course, in which case one third of the marks are for the project. There is detailed information about the course on the pdf course handbook online.

I assume that the MPhil will be assessed by thesis, so in that sense is entirely research, but you would attend lectures/seminars as necessary if relevant to your project.

As for funding, the physics department has some studentships for the MPhil for specific areas, but no specific funding for the MAst. But for both courses you could apply for the graduate funding competition. I think they give funding to the best applicants, so your chance of getting funding through that route would probably be similar for both courses.

I don't know if there are funding stats specifically for physics masters. You can look on the Cambridge Trust website (part of graduate funding competition) and it will list what they have awarded in the past. The uni's website says 43% of grad students admitted get funding from the university, but that will include PhDs as well - I think PhD funding is generally more available than Masters funding.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
Thank you very much :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending