The Student Room Group
Studying in halls, University of Cambridge
University of Cambridge
Cambridge

[MASt Astrophysics] Number Accepted and Applications per place?

In the bottom webpage for MASt in Astrophysics, there are:
"2023 Entry
Applications per place: 31
Number Accepted: 2"

Does that mean that for the year 2023, they accepted only 2 applications? so the total applications was 62 (31 applications per place × 2 accepted place)?

What these numbers tells us about how competitive the course is?

https://www.postgraduate.study.cam.ac.uk/courses/directory/pcasasast
Original post by GalaxyLimits
"2023 Entry

Does that mean that for the year 2023, they accepted only 2 applications? so the total applications was 62 (31 applications per place × 2 accepted place)?

Seems to. The MASt courses are generally very competitive.
Studying in halls, University of Cambridge
University of Cambridge
Cambridge
"2023 Entry

I am also applying this year for MASt Astrophysics. Maybe 2 per 31 applicants. Not sure!
Reply 3
Just a heads up - I'm doing an MASt this year and it seems that they usually extend more offers, but people end up being unable to take them because of the astronomically high university fees. So even though the MASt for sure is competitive, don't be discouraged!
(edited 4 months ago)
Original post by dJam2608
Just a heads up - I'm doing an MASt this year and it seems that they usually extend more offers, but people end up being unable to take them because of the astronomically high university fees. So even though the MASt for sure is competitive, don't be discouraged!

Hey!

Thank you for your message, I have applied for MASt Astrophysics but I don't have UG from a top university. I am an international student as well from India. May I please know your UG score and University or if you had any publications?
Reply 5

Hey, thank you for that information! I'm hopeful to get the offer, but there is no way of knowing until then...
If there's no bother, do you mind if I ask you a couple of questions?

Do you have any numbers (even if they're rough) about how many graduate students accepted the offer this year?

Any advice would you give to those who will study next year? Do you have any textbooks to recommend studying before starting the program?

How hard are the courses? And the quality of lectures and research (from materials, lecturers, supervisors, etc.)?

Thank you in advance!
Reply 6
Original post by Anonymous #1
Hey!

Thank you for your message, I have applied for MASt Astrophysics but I don't have UG from a top university. I am an international student as well from India. May I please know your UG score and University or if you had any publications?

Hey there 🙂 Whether or not you have an UG degree from a "top university" or not will not be held against you, as long as you have good grades and perform well in the interview. I did have some research experience, but no noteworthy publications - and it seems that that's the case for the majority of my coursemates.
Good luck!
Reply 7
Hey, thank you for that information! I'm hopeful to get the offer, but there is no way of knowing until then...
If there's no bother, do you mind if I ask you a couple of questions?

Do you have any numbers (even if they're rough) about how many graduate students accepted the offer this year?

Any advice would you give to those who will study next year? Do you have any textbooks to recommend studying before starting the program?

How hard are the courses? And the quality of lectures and research (from materials, lecturers, supervisors, etc.)?

Thank you in advance!

Hey 🙂

I have no idea about any numbers for the 2024 intake, and honestly, I don't think worrying about numbers is sensible. Yes, admission is competitive, but not due to a limit of places, rather because the standards are high.

The program director will likely tell you after extending you an offer that you should prepare over the summer (and he will send some material). Do that, but please also remember to enjoy the summer! The terms at Cambridge are intense, so you don't want to arrive already feeling stressed.

The courses are at a similar level to my UG theoretical physics courses, so they are hard and require a decent commitment, but they are doable. The quality of lecture varies, as at each university. Some are great, some not so much.

Reply 8
Hey there 🙂 Whether or not you have an UG degree from a "top university" or not will not be held against you, as long as you have good grades and perform well in the interview. I did have some research experience, but no noteworthy publications - and it seems that that's the case for the majority of my coursemates.
Good luck!

Hey!
Thank you so much for providing the valuable information. I have got rejected again
(edited 3 months ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending