The Student Room Group

good uni's for criminology?

what are good universitites that do criminonolgy. And are all courses study different things?
Surrey
Original post by hobbs9110
what are good universitites that do criminonolgy. And are all courses study different things?

I'm currently an MSc student in Criminal Justice and Criminology.

Like most courses, Criminology is extremely broad and in my experience, courses are usually amended every few years in order to keep up with emerging themes and trends. Course structure is likely to depend on the institution, however, in your search you are likely to see some overlap. Most courses will have your Core modules which are modules that you are required to take and achieve the required pass rate. When I was looking at Criminology at Undergraduate level, a lot of universities had similar Core modules which are usually along the lines of Criminological Theory, Crime and Deviance, Penology, Criminal Justice, etc, though you may find these module titles vary. Again, depending on the institution, you may find that you are able to take Elective modules. Electives are optional modules that you can choose to achieve the required number of credits for your degree. Some universities will have fixed Elective modules, whereas some will allow you to take modules from other courses in the department. Electives tend to be very broad and are a good way of tailoring your programme to your own interests. Again, this is dependant on the institution, but Electives can cover topics such as Criminal Psychology, Gender and Crime, War Crimes and Genocide, Terrorism, to name a few.

In my research, I found that Leeds, Manchester and Durham were particularly well received for Criminology. However, my advice would be to do your own research and look at course structures that match your interests.

I did my Undergraduate degree in Criminology at the University of Lincoln which I found to be a really good course. Having looked at their website (I graduated in 2012) the programme seems to have changed a lot since I was enrolled, but may of the Core modules are still the same. There is also a great selection of Elective modules offered - more than when I was enrolled.

At present, I am doing my MSc at the University of Derby. Again, I have been very impressed with this course and the content covered. A lot of the teaching staff come from professional backgrounds, i.e. police, probation, youth justice, etc, and this really elevates their teaching. I have heard a lot of positive things about the Undergraduate programme at Derby and their is even the opportunity to visit the United States.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending