The Student Room Group

The 'Welp, I tried' A-Level blog

Scroll to see replies

Original post by troubletracking
There's no need to apologise haha; I've been a bit lax too with responding recently:redface: Always prioritise yourself if you're busy if you're ill cos these blogs aren't gonna go anywhere, so don't be so hard on yourself. You're doing great sweetie!! Get well soon:hugs:
Don't be sorry, take time for yourself:h:

Thanks. :hugs: Btw, I also have a GYG, do you want me to tag you? It's a super low effort one but... :rofl: (tbh I thought I had but apparently not :sadnod:)
Original post by MaizieAmyr
Thanks. :hugs: Btw, I also have a GYG, do you want me to tag you? It's a super low effort one but... :rofl: (tbh I thought I had but apparently not :sadnod:)

I am tagged, aren't I? I've definitely read some of your posts, but if I'm not please do:biggrin:
I am tagged, aren't I? I've definitely read some of your posts, but if I'm not please do:biggrin:

Oh, maybe I did. Idk anymore. :cry2: :rofl:
Oh, maybe I did. Idk anymore. :cry2: :rofl:

lmao has it been one of those days?:laugh:
Tuesday, 25th September 2018
Today's timetable: English (P1), Tutorial (P2), History (P3), French (P5)
Post length: Mild cheddar cheese

It's Tuesday today, and you know what that means? Great British Bake Off. I've noticed that GBBO has become my A-level coping mechanism. No matter how stressed or tired I am, I've just go to make it to Tuesday because Tuesday means Bake Off and Bake Off means that everything will be okay (also coming thru Manon I can lowkey class this as French revision now:wink:)

So yeah, today was jam-packed, although not really I guess as I only had 4/5 periods, but I had to get up at 6am so:frown: First period was English, where we went over both No, Thank You, John and From the Antique again, and everything I'm writing down feels so basic, even though I know it's definitely not, but I can't explain how I feel, like, internally trapped or frustrated that all my points and stuff like that come directly from the teacher, for so I don't feel like I'm doing anything for myself and I'm relying on her for everything. That actually sounds so stupid but oh well guess I'm gonna have to do some digging around on all these pre-Raphaelite websites this weekend then to compensate.

Then I had my tutorial, and as a year group we're all united by how universally pointless we think these periods are in year 12, when there's not actually all that much to do. Exhibit A was today, where we had nothing to do so we were told to treat it as a free period, so I went over the French vocab for period 5 and then did some history notes.

After break was history, where we've moved onto topic 3, which sounds like we're flying ahead, but I'm pretty sure we're on topic 3 of topic 1, and that topic 1 is also topic 1 of unit 1 of one half of the course, if you get me. Basically, there's a lot to know and if my 15/30 on the topic 2 test was anything to go by, there's a lot to know that I really don't know. A girl in our corner also asked for our instagrams today, and if uno...uno (#stalkingparents), so I really hope she forgot my username by the time she'd gotten home because once you see someone in a dalek costume you really can't look at them the same way again.

Had lunch where we met up with a friend from high school, who takes two of the same subjects as me but we're in no lessons together:cry: Then I had a free where I went over the French vocab again and also did some more history notes, which is apparently all I do these days. Fifth period was the wonderful French, where we had the vocab test and I finally managed to get 100%! We then did some grammar activities and had a great time giggling with the girls on my row before, yep, you guessed it, our teacher gave us another sheet for homework:argh: Think of the trees, French teacher!

Got home quite late again, so by the time I'd had tea it was around 18:30, and I just wasn't in the mood to do any work, but I did some anyway because ThE gRiNd nEVeR StOpS:

History:

Finally, freaking finally, finished my history notes from last week (there were a lot omg), which means I'm not completely caught up, but I'm caught up to the pont I would be had I catually done my notes on Sunday. I've overcomplicated this by a mile, but basically I've finished last week's notes so I've only got this week's to do at the weekend. I think i'm destined to spend all my time writing history notes that I debatably don't even need to do, but homegirl never liked taking the easy route even when there was no need to make things harder:wink:

English:

Did the homework, which was a big A3 sheet on the three poems weve done so far, whcih seemed really complicated but once I'd got into it it was quite enjoyable. We had to link three quotes form each poem with diffferent bits of context and viewpoints but, I'm sorry, these poems are pretty bland compared to the delights of GCSE Tissue and Remains. Ugh, would do anything to write an essay on Remains again, I swear. I'm probably insane, possibly not:redface:

Tomorrow I've got all 385087080 of my enrichment options, and I never did my running homework so hopefully she won't notice

Pour souls who have committed to being tagged:
(if you're also slightly masochistic, lemme know if you wanna be tagged- or removed, for that matter)

Spoiler

English:

Did the homework, which was a big A3 sheet on the three poems weve done so far, whcih seemed really complicated but once I'd got into it it was quite enjoyable.

Speaking of the damn poems, my year 12 mocks will apparently be based on a few of them, which should be interesting. I have an antipathy to a good chunk of poetry out there though, but I endure it to enjoy the other things literature has to offer.

We had to link three quotes form each poem with diffferent bits of context and viewpoints but, I'm sorry, these poems are pretty bland compared to the delights of GCSE Tissue and Remains. Ugh, would do anything to write an essay on Remains again, I swear. I'm probably insane, possibly not:redface:

Eww! T-Ti-TISSUE? Thou are a villain fam. F*CK that sh*t! I was so glad that I was with the Edexcel Power and Conflict poetry anthology, for that execrable poem still definitely remains as my bête noire. I still remember reading that horror show for the first time and turning quite purple in the face. I think that poem is brutally unfair for an untiered paper, much or less any English literature exam targeted at 15/16 year-olds in general. It's insanely difficult to analyse. I found it gut-wrenching. It's such a notorious, infamous piece of crap that many of the top-grade students outside of AQA are cognisant of its existence due to how many people have been slain by it. I'm still waiting for the examination series where which AQA decide to finally implement that as the chosen poem. That will be the darkest day.
(edited 5 years ago)
lmao has it been one of those days?:laugh:

Yep, it's been a whole week of one of those days. :cry:
i had a cheeky look at your instagram:lol:
:woo: for french
Original post by Tolgarda
Speaking of the damn poems, my year 12 mocks will apparently be based on a few of them, which should be interesting. I have an antipathy to a good chunk of poetry out there though, but I endure it to enjoy the other things literature has to offer.

Eww! T-Ti-TISSUE? Thou are a villain fam. F*CK that sh*t! I was so glad that I was with the Edexcel Power and Conflict poetry anthology, for that execrable poem still definitely remains as my bête noire. I still remember reading that horror show for the first time and turning quite purple in the face. I think that poem is brutally unfair for an untiered paper, much or less any English literature exam targeted at 15/16 year-olds in general. It's insanely difficult to analyse. I found it gut-wrenching. It's such a notorious, infamous piece of crap that many of the top-grade students outside of AQA are cognisant of its existence due to how many people have been slain by it. I'm still waiting for the examination series where which AQA decide to finally implement that as the chosen poem. That will be the darkest day.

Half of the poetry they pick for exams is as dry as anything:dry:
Pahahaha, I never minded tissue!! I actually used it in my real exam (didn't feel like a good move at the time tho). Don't know how familiar you are with AQA, but the Prelude was my least favourite by far. Tissue is the poetry equivalent of the bounty in the celebrations box and I, uh, I'm the friend that eats the bountys (bounties?):hide:
Would be totally unfair if they used it as the chosen poem tho:frown:
Yep, it's been a whole week of one of those days. :cry:

Aw:hugs: I've got a feeling next week will be your week:yep:
Original post by entertainmyfaith
i had a cheeky look at your instagram:lol:
:woo: for french

Uh oh:redface: That's never a good way to start a convo:nah: Maybe this is the reason I've been rejected from so many jobs?:laugh:
Thank you again!:cube:
Half of the poetry they pick for exams is as dry as anything:dry:

Some of the poetry in the Edexcel anthology seemed like arrant garbage to me.

Pahahaha, I never minded tissue!! I actually used it in my real exam (didn't feel like a good move at the time tho).

I would never have done that in a million years. I wouldn't have the balls to do that. However, the poem is so vague that the number of bullsh*t interpretations one could possibly conjure up are endless, so I could see how it could be a very versatile poem for comparisons within the cluster.

Don't know how familiar you are with AQA, but the Prelude was my least favourite by far. Tissue is the poetry equivalent of the bounty in the celebrations box and I, uh, I'm the friend that eats the bountys (bounties?):hide:

Extract from the Prelude was in Edexcel's poetry anthology as well. It was the only poem other than The Destruction of Sennacherib that I prepared for. Thankfully it didn't show up, but my God was it a rather frightening prospect.

Would be totally unfair if they used it as the chosen poem tho:frown:

I would actually like to see what the grade boundaries would be for the paper where they did throw it in there though. It would be interesting. However, I agree that it would be ridiculously unfair.
(edited 5 years ago)
Aw:hugs: I've got a feeling next week will be your week:yep:

I hope so. :crossedf: :hugs:
Some of the poetry in the Edexcel anthology seemed like arrant garbage to me.

I would never have done that in a million years. I wouldn't have the balls to do that. However, the poem is so vague that the number of bullsh*t interpretations one could possibly conjure up are endless, so I could see how it could be a very versatile poem for comparisons within the cluster.

Extract from the Prelude was in Edexcel's poetry anthology as well. It was the only poem other than The Destruction of Sennacherib that I prepared for. Thankfully it didn't show up, but my God was it a rather frightening prospect.

I would actually like to see what the grade boundaries would be for the paper where they did throw it in there though. It would be interesting. However, I agree that it would be ridiculously unfair.

Agreed
I tend to panic in exams and pick the objectively hardest option in the hopes that the examiner would have less to compare it to (also maybe on the off chance they'd give me a few marks for courage:biggrin:) The ambiguity of Tissue really helped as well ahah, you could literally say anything about that poem and you could get away with it if you threw in a reference to light or something
Thank god William Wordsworth has dipped his oars into my lake to lustily row out of my freaking life:rolleyes:
Wouldn't be surprised if they did it. Poor kids:frown:
Wednesday, 26th September 2018
Today's timetable: Business Skills in IT (P2), English (P3), Classroom Chair to 5k (P4)
Post length: Honestly idk they always look quite short until I post them but I reckon this is pretty long

How is it only Wednesday? I was on the bus home absolutely knackered and was like 'well... at least it's Friday' until I realised it's definitely not Friday and it's not even Thursday:argh:
On Wednesdays, we don't wear pink, but we do have enrichment and boy, do I have enrichment. Three enrichments were today, might I add. Was there any need to sign up to so many? No. Did I do just that? Of course. I'm like the enrichment equivalent of Terry from GBBO with the number of things I attempt to take on at once (hopefully I won't meet a similar end to Terry tho:frown:)

I had business skills in IT first, which is definitely a regret. I'm not much of a techy person and I remember we got our first computer when I was like 6, and I used to be friends with this boy in primary school who knew how to touch type and format a document since he came out the womb, so I've always felt a little basic with my computer skills. Which are so basic, lmao, that when I whip out the bb code I feel like an MI6 hacker:lol:
Anyway, the main issue is that it's so unbelievably dull, and I'm sure even a computer science student would find creating master slides on PowerPoint rather dry. A girl in my English has also signed up for this technological torture, and we both agreed that the only reason we were there was for the certificate, which is an actual OCR qualification, so it's gonna be a damn fine certificate. The most exciting part of that hour was when the fire alarm went off for a drill, and I was talking to some of the girls in my class. I found my first maths/fm/physics/chemistry student, which is honestly wild because most of the people I talk to take similar subjects to me, and another girl who does geography (ugh made me so emo I'm having geog withdrawal symptoms), then we went back inside to find that, no, our computers hadn't melted in the 'fire' (twas a drill, don't want things to get too lit on a Wednesday morning now do we), which was rather disappointing:redface:

Puis we had English, and we're still ploughing through these boring ass poems that are either about gender, religion or both (phew don't get too wild Rossetti my acid reflux can't handle it). Tomorrow, we're watching Doll's House, which I told myself I'd read before I watched it, but I only managed half of Act 1 so oh well.

When practically everyone and their mothers went home after third period, my fun was only just beginning. Forgot to buy lunch before P2 again because I saw my friend on the bus and got excited, so I had to splash out a whopping £1.10 in the cafeteria just to buy a flapjack (it was called a 'monster flapjack' tho wowzers) and then get changed in the toilets. There were a few more people today, and I chatted to a girl in my year who was like 'yeah, I don't run' and I was like 'me neither!' and then she was like 'I used to swim tho' and I was like 'me too!' and I was lowkey like hell yes someone else who doesn't have a Fitbit and abs, but then we started running and she shot off in a sprint so I was like 'welp, guess I'll run with my favourite people: me, myself and I, then :/' I didn't feel as wrecked after, and my legs don't hurt so maybe I'll be able to tie my own shoelaces tomorrow.

Sweaty and pretty dehydrated, I went to volunteering because apparently that's another thing I do now. Did kinda sign up to do Saturday mornings as well, but I'm gonna have to get out of that one because 90 minutes there and back seems like such a faff just to be sorting out scarves for three hours. Some people get their adrenaline from roller coasters; Meghan gets her adrenaline from signing up to things she knows she'll regret but does anyway:wink: It was quite fun actually, and I was with this guy whose name wasn't Toby but I felt like he proper looked like a Toby so I kept calling him Toby accidentally and he was like "..???" and he kept eating out of date chocolate that he said tasted funny but kept eating it anyway and it really stressed me out ngl:lol:

Got home pretty late after finishing up at 16:30, so I had tea, then sat down to do some work, but not very much workd happened:frown:

French:

Had a reading activity to do, and these kinda things always look ten times more complicated when you first look at them and you think 'it's a no from me hun' until you Word Reference the words you don't know and actually go through it, and then suddenly it's not half bad. I have my speaking session on Friday and I do have a page in my speaking booklet I need to do for prep, but I wasn't feeling up to it once I'd read what you had to do. Some of the things we're expected to casually talk about are insane- one of the questions last week was something along the lines of whether or not we think teenage mothers are failures, and I'm not sure about how I'd even answer it in English. And if I do have something I want to say, half the time I don't have the vocabulary to do so, so I'd have to say a completely different opinion and at the end be like 'yeah soz, I don't actually think that, I didn't know how to say anything else' so she doesn't think I'm a complete asshat, but the speaking exchange woman was ill last week, so I got out of that scenario, but god save me on Friday:redface:

Wow that was a ramble, but I hope you're all having a nice week and that the weather's nice wherever you're living *awkward smile*

Pour souls who have committed to being tagged:
(if you're also slightly masochistic, lemme know if you wanna be tagged- or removed, for that matter)

Spoiler

(edited 5 years ago)
I tend to panic in exams

Doesn't everybody? Haha. I think one of the exams I panicked the most about was English language paper 1, in which we had probably the most complicated 19th-century excerpt I had ever encountered. EVER! I want to revisit that text because MY F*CKING GOD WAS IT DIFFICULT! It was such a ******** extract. I would say it was brutally unfair. For any confident readers or any other non-Edexcel grade 9s out there, I challenge you to this text under exam conditions. It was probably the most savage move Edexcel pulled off because they had pretty much lied to most of the teachers with the excerpt. I wasn't surprised to find out that I got 19/24 marks on the reading section with that text (literally all of my language marks were dropped on this one bloody text). Sidenote trivia: the reading section for language paper 1 was the only section in language that I never got full marks on (my closest was 23/24) because I'm a CTEC human.
Doesn't everybody? Haha. I think one of the exams I panicked the most about was English language paper 1, in which we had probably the most complicated 19th-century excerpt I had ever encountered. EVER! I want to revisit that text because MY F*CKING GOD WAS IT DIFFICULT! It was such a ******** extract. I would say it was brutally unfair. For any confident readers or any other non-Edexcel grade 9s out there, I challenge you to this text under exam conditions. It was probably the most savage move Edexcel pulled off because they had pretty much lied to most of the teachers with the excerpt. I wasn't surprised to find out that I got 19/24 marks on the reading section with that text (literally all of my language marks were dropped on this one bloody text). Sidenote trivia: the reading section for language paper 1 was the only section in language that I never got full marks on (my closest was 23/24) because I'm a CTEC human.

Think you've put me off Edexcel English for life jeez that sounds brutal:s-smilie:
Think you've put me off Edexcel English for life jeez that sounds brutal:s-smilie:

Don't worry, that text put me off Russian literature for life. I still remember seeing one of my teachers feel betrayed after Edexcel stated that they would only implement American or British 19th-century literature in there, so much for that horse****.

I'm just waiting for them to put in War and Peace next, just you watch.
(edited 5 years ago)
Don't worry, that text put me off Russian literature for life. I still remember seeing one of my teachers feel betrayed after Edexcel stated that they would only implement American or British 19th-century literature in there, so much for that horse****.

I'm just waiting for them to put in War and Peace next, just you watch.

Imagine having Russian literature in a GCSE English exam, think I'd go on strike tbh:laugh:
Well done on conquering it tho
Imagine having Russian literature in a GCSE English exam, think I'd go on strike tbh:laugh:

I didn't have the energy to do that despite my immense urge. I remember that being the first paper where I actually cried when I got home because I thought that the grade 9 dream was over. Looking back at my notes, it was Fyodor Dostoyevski's Crime and Punishment that made its appearance in our paper.

Well done on conquering it tho

Thank you. :colondollar: I was lucky though, my teacher would have slashed a few more marks if she was the examiner in my opinion. But I'm not complaining, it's over now. It was just a really, really, really demanding text.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending