The Student Room Group

RAF application & Superficial Self Harming

Hi. My 19 year old son is very keen to join the RAF. He applied, aced the cbt tests but has been rejected because he went through a dark period during a levels when he self harmed twice. He saw a dc after both episodes who wrote them up as superficial. He had counselling and is now very well. His raf application was rejected due to the self harm, he appealed with a letter from his gp and two other character witnesses - this has also been rejected. He really wants the raf, how can I best guide and support him? The self harm was only superficiall, it happened in 2016, and has left no scar. Thank you in anticipation of some advice.
Original post by MumDoesIT
Hi. My 19 year old son is very keen to join the RAF. He applied, aced the cbt tests but has been rejected because he went through a dark period during a levels when he self harmed twice. He saw a dc after both episodes who wrote them up as superficial. He had counselling and is now very well. His raf application was rejected due to the self harm, he appealed with a letter from his gp and two other character witnesses - this has also been rejected. He really wants the raf, how can I best guide and support him? The self harm was only superficiall, it happened in 2016, and has left no scar. Thank you in anticipation of some advice.

All branches of the Armed Forces are very weary of people with a history of self-harm, and there are very strict guidelines which are followed.

It doesn't matter if it's 'superficial', the fact is that he had gone to the doctors - and then further to this, had received counselling.

Here is the relevant extract from the Joint Service Policy 950 (JSP 950), which is the medical standard that ALL armed services must follow:

"37. A single episode of self-harm or self-mutilation in response to a stressful event occurring more than 3 years before application is no bar to recruitment provided the 3-year interim has been free from all symptoms. If there was no precipitating stressful event then the candidate should normally be graded S8, as this indicates an enduring endogenous risk of further self-harm. Candidates with a history of 2 or more episodes, even with clear stressors, should normally be graded S8, as repetition indicates a substantial risk of further repetition and, of more concern, a significant increase in risk of later death by suicide. If multiple attempts occur over a short period of time (weeks rather than months), and can clearly be ascribed to the same single stressful event, then for the purposes of selection, these may be regarded as a single episode"

S8 = Permanently Medically Unfit through Emotional stability.

Even then, the RAF may have a higher standard of medical entry in addition to this.
Reply 2
Current policy for all the Armed Forces is applicants who have self-harmed being 3 years clear of further instances, but after that it's on a case-by-case basis; the doctors will decide by looking at the reasons behind it.

It doesn't matter that it was superficial, it's the fact that your son used self-harm during a stressful situation, of which he'll be facing more in the RAF and not necessarily combat situations. It was during his exams and, whilst he has got through some hurdles since, even training could be hard for him; being tired, under pressure to complete tasks.... Extend that to work and potentially coming to the end of a 3rd consecutive 12-hour night shift, and you've got the same conditions.

So, there's nothing to stop your son applying again after the 3 years clear and he can use the time until then to work on his fitness, and be involved with activities that show responsibility and leadership potential. However, there are no guarantees that another application to the RAF will be successful, or that he could get into the Army or Navy either, and that's you come in! Your son needs to understand why his self-harm may stop him joining and not make the RAF his sole focus. He should have other career options and, if he does apply, he'll need support if he's unsuccessful again. Wishing you both all the best!
Reply 3
Original post by SFASPIRANT
All branches of the Armed Forces are very weary of people with a history of self-harm, and there are very strict guidelines which are followed.

It doesn't matter if it's 'superficial', the fact is that he had gone to the doctors - and then further to this, had received counselling.

Here is the relevant extract from the Joint Service Policy 950 (JSP 950), which is the medical standard that ALL armed services must follow:

"37. A single episode of self-harm or self-mutilation in response to a stressful event occurring more than 3 years before application is no bar to recruitment provided the 3-year interim has been free from all symptoms. If there was no precipitating stressful event then the candidate should normally be graded S8, as this indicates an enduring endogenous risk of further self-harm. Candidates with a history of 2 or more episodes, even with clear stressors, should normally be graded S8, as repetition indicates a substantial risk of further repetition and, of more concern, a significant increase in risk of later death by suicide. If multiple attempts occur over a short period of time (weeks rather than months), and can clearly be ascribed to the same single stressful event, then for the purposes of selection, these may be regarded as a single episode"

S8 = Permanently Medically Unfit through Emotional stability.

Even then, the RAF may have a higher standard of medical entry in addition to this.

Thank you. His action was in response to a level pressure. He needs to wait three years. My concern is that there was longer than a few weeks between each episode. We need to check his medical records.
Would they take into consideration the doctors statement that they were both superficial?
Thank you. His action was in response to a level pressure. He needs to wait three years. My concern is that there was longer than a few weeks between each episode. We need to check his medical records.
Would they take into consideration the doctors statement that they were both superficial?

Can he possibly join the reserves in the meantime.

I feel your frustration . My son wants to go to Sandhurst. An allergic asthma attack 22 years ago has dogged him all through the process. He has to get lung function tests, get x rays and do all manner of tests all the time. It was only one attack 22 years ago. He does triathlons, is superfit yet they keep coming back to this
Reply 5

Unlikely. They'll see the dates and that's pretty black and white to them.
Their worry is if that's what he did during something as (relatively) benign as A levels, what will be do if he's under fire?
Original post by squeakysquirrel
Can he possibly join the reserves in the meantime.

I feel your frustration . My son wants to go to Sandhurst. An allergic asthma attack 22 years ago has dogged him all through the process. He has to get lung function tests, get x rays and do all manner of tests all the time. It was only one attack 22 years ago. He does triathlons, is superfit yet they keep coming back to this

Reserves medical standards are the same as the regulars. Wouldn't be much point in having a reserve not able to do the job when needed.

I have been having a think about this - I really feel for you. ( my son suffered from depression during his degree but didn't visit a doctor - so there is nothing on his medical records - just the bloody asthma...)

Looking at the responses, it does seem that these episodes will hinder his chances greatly. And there is nothing like knockbacks for making you feel grotty.

How about he goes and does something else like say nursing and then tries to join as a medic. If he can cope with nursing without incident then surely that would improve his chances. Even if it doesn't he would have a profession to fall back on.

If you look at the roles that the RAF have - there are many options and to get in via the back door....

Of course I may be thinking absolute drivel - Drewski is the expert here.

Unfortunately, I don't think it'll be as simple as waiting three years.

The extract from JSP 950 which SFASPIRANT has pasted above also says the following: "Candidates with a history of 2 or more episodes, even with clear stressors, should normally be graded S8." And you've stated that his actions were more than a few weeks apart, essentially making them two occurrences. The positive to be taken from this though, is that it states normally, therefore, with character references and medical documentation, the RAF may consider his application on an individual basis, although following two rejections already, they seem rather steadfast on their opinion of the situation.
Reply 8
Thank you all for your compassionate replies. He is thinking about getting skilled up as an engineer, working for a few years, and then apply. If he gets rejected again then he has a skill to return to.
Thank you all for your compassionate replies. He is thinking about getting skilled up as an engineer, working for a few years, and then apply. If he gets rejected again then he has a skill to return to.

The sensible option is always to pursue a back-up plan before committing to join the Forces. There are so many ways to fall at the many hurdles before you are operational, and many are outside the individual's control. Getting turned down at the initial application stage is tough, but I can assure you that getting chopped and discharged a year or two in without an alternative career is even tougher. Getting an engineering qualification/degree will stand him in good stead and who knows what decision might be made by the medics, say in 3 years' time?

Quick Reply

Latest