The Student Room Group

Very bad, lying dentist...what to do? Can I sue her?

So, yesterday my mum took my younger sister to her dentist appointment to ask about braces / get a referral and instead she and my sister got an exaggerated telling off about why my sister doesn't take care of her teeth properly and why she eats sweets. She went on about being 'disappointed' for the whole appointment and was basically making my mum and sister feel really guilty. And about the braces, she said she doesn't need them and that her teeth are straight (they clearly are not) and that she should focus on having healthy teeth and not braces.

The dentist said that my sister needs another filling - she has three fillings already from this dentist, and she's ELEVEN years old, btw - and she also very vaguely said that she has a 'hole', whatever that's supposed to mean.

Anyway, about these three fillings that my sister already has, my mum suspects that my younger sister didn't even need them and that the dentist lied about her needing them. My mum now really regrets allowing the dentist to ruin her 11-year-old daughter's teeth. And one of the pointers to why this dentist is dishonest, is that she says she did SIX fillings for my sister when it is very clearly only three.

Yesterday she was saying stuff like 'she's only 11 and she has 6 fillings and now she needs another one' (and yesterday she was literally preparing to put another one right there and then ; she was like I'll numb it now, it will take half an hour etc - basically laying out what she was going to do). First of all, how can you even do 6 fillings on an 11 year old, in ONE appointment - my sister got all three fillings done in one appointment and was extremely scared the whole time and looked traumatised when she came home. She said that she was in so much pain.

All of this gets worse. At the end of the appointment yesterday and after the long telling off as my mum and sister were about to leave the room, she just casually says that my sister has a gum disease. Like it's nothing. My mum was like 'what? but she hasn't complained of anything'? The dentist says 'yeah, it's a silent one'. Wtf? Firstly she didn't even do a single X-Ray for the 'seventh' tooth that she says needs a filling nor for this 'gum disease'? I mean, I don't know much about dentistry but aren't you supposed to check everything before you say something as serious as 'she has a gum disease' ? And she said it as my mum and sis were about to leave the room, too?

It was like she was trying to scare them to make SURE as much she could that they were going to come back to her. It seems like she's super desperate for money or something.

Anyway, about the three fillings that she did that my mum thinks weren't even necessary, is there anything we can do about this? Is there a way to know if she even needed them and can we sue this dentist or something? She's probably doing this to so many other patients just for the money. Like, my sister is 11 years old and and she has three (grey and ugly) fillings and apparently, her dentist thinks she is in need of one more. To top all of this off, my sister doesn't even consume an excessive amount of sugar, she is a healthy kid and consumes a very normal amount of sugar and we don't allow her to drink fizzy drinks. She doesn't even really eat 'sweets' and we rarely even have these around the house. She likes biscuits, juice, pancakes, I don't know, but the point is she doesn't consume an unhealthy amount of sugar and this dentist is talking chit.

Can someone help please? Thank you.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Also, apologies for the length.
Reply 2
Does it need to be anonymous? Are you worried your dentist frequents TSR?
Reply 3
How do you know she's lying? Are you a dentist? Do you know what you're looking for?

Do you know about gum disease?
Reply 4
Original post by Drewski
How do you know she's lying?

Did you not read the full post? There's so many pointers to her dishonesty - one being that she says she did 6 fillings when there is very clearly only 3 in her mouth.

Original post by Drewski
Do you know about gum disease?

I know what I need to know - that it's not a silent disease.
Original post by Sinnoh
Does it need to be anonymous? Are you worried your dentist frequents TSR?

No, it doesn't need to be anonymous.
I think you should listen to the dentist. They don't get money based on the amount of fillings they do, it's based on hours. Dentists have to go through years of studying and are definitely qualified. Gum disease can be easily identified because the gums go a purple/ brown colour in areas and they also bleed easily. My dentist is also quite harsh but I know she knows what's best. Also if your not convinced, the next time the dentist says your sister needs a filling ask her to show you where. Fillings are needed in places where one has a cavity and are visible (it's basically decay from not looking after your teeth). Most people have cavities but usually not as many as your sister does. Also about the braces thing, if you don't look after your teeth and that's visible to the dentist, they have to stop you from getting them. This is because braces move around your teeth and if they're not strong they can become loose and fall out.
All in all listen to your dentist or move to a different one
You can complain to the General Dental Council, which is non-compensatory.

I would suggest you request in writing an explanation from your dentist first, which should inform you of whether or not they were acting inappropriately. You cannot jump the gun without context because you are not a dentist and don't know what you're looking for.
go to another dentist.

it is possible that your sister eats sweets/drinks sugar beverages covertly. is she overweight ?

:holmes:
Original post by Zoeva123
I think you should listen to the dentist. They don't get money based on the amount of fillings they do, it's based on hours. Dentists have to go through years of studying and are definitely qualified. Gum disease can be easily identified because the gums go a purple/ brown colour in areas and they also bleed easily. My dentist is also quite harsh but I know she knows what's best. Also if your not convinced, the next time the dentist says your sister needs a filling ask her to show you where. Fillings are needed in places where one has a cavity and are visible (it's basically decay from not looking after your teeth). Most people have cavities but usually not as many as your sister does. Also about the braces thing, if you don't look after your teeth and that's visible to the dentist, they have to stop you from getting them. This is because braces move around your teeth and if they're not strong they can become loose and fall out.
All in all listen to your dentist or move to a different one

Her gums aren't purple/brown in any area nor do they bleed easily. My sister would say so if this was the case, she usually tells of issues like these and is also quick to notice them.

Also, my mum will definitely be taking her to a different dentist. Even if she is right (which I highly doubt), the manner in which she dealt with my mum and sister yesterday was terrible. You aren't supposed to scare patients like that and say things as serious as 'she has gum disease' so casually and when the patient is about to leave.
Original post by the bear

it is possible that your sister eats sweets/drinks sugar beverages covertly. is she overweight ?

:holmes:

No, that isn't possible. And no, she's not overweight at all. She's quite skinny (a healthy skinny).
Original post by Notoriety
You can complain to the General Dental Council, which is non-compensatory.

I would suggest you request in writing an explanation from your dentist first, which should inform you of whether or not they were acting inappropriately. You cannot jump the gun without context because you are not a dentist and don't know what you're looking for.

Thanks, I'll tell my mum about this.
See another dentist and get a second opinion.
Original post by YaliaV
See another dentist and get a second opinion.

Will do. But do you think I should do anything about this dentist? Like complain or something? From what I described, does she sound legitimate to you?
Original post by wonderuss
Will do. But do you think I should do anything about this dentist? Like complain or something? From what I described, does she sound legitimate to you?

Not many people here are qualified to speak of the technical and professional nature of dentistry, see another one and if you are still sceptical see another, if they all agree I doubt there is any malpractice at play.
Reply 15
Every human is different, and everybody conducts their job in different ways. If you don't like the dentist you currently have, you can easily change. I had a dentist who did not care when I was yelling out in pain that the numbing agent hadn't come into effect yet, so I simply changed dentist. My mum, however, still sees him because she thinks he's good enough for her. Thus, just because I personally do not like his methods doesn't mean he deserves to be sued, they're just doing their job. Simply find another dentist, then you'll know if your sister has so many dental issues through a second opinion.
Dentists are a greedy. Ask for a second opinion
Reply 17
Original post by Anonymous
So, yesterday my mum took my younger sister to her dentist appointment to ask about braces / get a referral and instead she and my sister got an exaggerated telling off about why my sister doesn't take care of her teeth properly and why she eats sweets. She went on about being 'disappointed' for the whole appointment and was basically making my mum and sister feel really guilty. And about the braces, she said she doesn't need them and that her teeth are straight (they clearly are not) and that she should focus on having healthy teeth and not braces.

The dentist said that my sister needs another filling - she has three fillings already from this dentist, and she's ELEVEN years old, btw - and she also very vaguely said that she has a 'hole', whatever that's supposed to mean.

Anyway, about these three fillings that my sister already has, my mum suspects that my younger sister didn't even need them and that the dentist lied about her needing them. My mum now really regrets allowing the dentist to ruin her 11-year-old daughter's teeth. And one of the pointers to why this dentist is dishonest, is that she says she did SIX fillings for my sister when it is very clearly only three.

Yesterday she was saying stuff like 'she's only 11 and she has 6 fillings and now she needs another one' (and yesterday she was literally preparing to put another one right there and then ; she was like I'll numb it now, it will take half an hour etc - basically laying out what she was going to do). First of all, how can you even do 6 fillings on an 11 year old, in ONE appointment - my sister got all three fillings done in one appointment and was extremely scared the whole time and looked traumatised when she came home. She said that she was in so much pain.

All of this gets worse. At the end of the appointment yesterday and after the long telling off as my mum and sister were about to leave the room, she just casually says that my sister has a gum disease. Like it's nothing. My mum was like 'what? but she hasn't complained of anything'? The dentist says 'yeah, it's a silent one'. Wtf? Firstly she didn't even do a single X-Ray for the 'seventh' tooth that she says needs a filling nor for this 'gum disease'? I mean, I don't know much about dentistry but aren't you supposed to check everything before you say something as serious as 'she has a gum disease' ? And she said it as my mum and sis were about to leave the room, too?

It was like she was trying to scare them to make SURE as much she could that they were going to come back to her. It seems like she's super desperate for money or something.

Anyway, about the three fillings that she did that my mum thinks weren't even necessary, is there anything we can do about this? Is there a way to know if she even needed them and can we sue this dentist or something? She's probably doing this to so many other patients just for the money. Like, my sister is 11 years old and and she has three (grey and ugly) fillings and apparently, her dentist thinks she is in need of one more. To top all of this off, my sister doesn't even consume an excessive amount of sugar, she is a healthy kid and consumes a very normal amount of sugar and we don't allow her to drink fizzy drinks. She doesn't even really eat 'sweets' and we rarely even have these around the house. She likes biscuits, juice, pancakes, I don't know, but the point is she doesn't consume an unhealthy amount of sugar and this dentist is talking chit.

Can someone help please? Thank you.

It must have been difficult for your mother to hear the dentists criticism but the dentist is acting in your sisters best interest. She is clearly not taking care of her teeth properly and the dentist is trying to instil good habits to protect her adult teeth. Assuming you're in the UK your sister will receive dental care under the NHS and as others have said, the dentist does not get paid per filling. Dentists are not short of NHS patients (in some areas of the country it can be a 2 year wait) and they make far more from private patients so it is extremely unlikely that that unnecessary treatment is being given.

Early stages of gum disease goes hand in hand with poor oral hygiene. By "silent" they mean that it can start without pain etc so the patient may be unaware of it.

Fruit juice can cause tooth decay as it has a high acid content.

Braces are unlikely to be given until all adult teeth are though and it is much harder to get them on the NHS than it used to be.

Instead of being angry, use this as an opportunity to help your sister develop better habits - if she does get braces later it will stand her in good stead as cleaning teeth with braces requires even more effort,
Original post by wonderuss
Her gums aren't purple/brown in any area nor do they bleed easily. My sister would say so if this was the case, she usually tells of issues like these and is also quick to notice them.

Also, my mum will definitely be taking her to a different dentist. Even if she is right (which I highly doubt), the manner in which she dealt with my mum and sister yesterday was terrible. You aren't supposed to scare patients like that and say things as serious as 'she has gum disease' so casually and when the patient is about to leave.

Gum disease isn't that big of an issue and can easily be removed if her teeth are looked after properly. My dentist was also like this as she was very straight forward and didn't really let me have a say. At the start I really didn't like her but I've now had braces for over a year and my teeth look much better than before. Everything she said she was right about. I can't be sure because I don't know your dentist but she's probably right as far as what she's saying because she's qualified to know. It wouldn't make sense for her to lie because she wouldn't get paid extra unless your sister's over 18. You could always consult another dentist who might be less harsh but chances are she's right.
I guess you could say this dentist is lying trough his teeth.
Am I right?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending