The Student Room Group

Crying and stressing.

Hi Everyone, I'm in year 11 at the moment andtoday has been a bad day, i have been crying and stressing because i really want to drop GCSE Spanish into another subject. and i had asked my head of year, and other teachers to help me change it to another subject that i did some catch-up work over the summer and in the last few months of year 10 for the subject that i REALLY want to change into. And my head of year, and other teachers said ''No.. it's too late'' and after when they said this i cried, got stressed and cried again more and i got anxiety. and is there any other advice or help to help change a subject/drop in year 11? Thank you everyone.

Scroll to see replies

maybe you could just drop spanish and not pick up the other subject? it's not really recommended for you to switch subjects a year in; catch up work may not be enough; what do you want to take instead of spanish?
are you crying and stressed because of the spanish workload etc or bc you're desperate to do this other subject?
Reply 2
Original post by LuxuriousAngel
Hi Everyone, I'm in year 11 at the moment andtoday has been a bad day, i have been crying and stressing because i really want to drop GCSE Spanish into another subject. and i had asked my head of year, and other teachers to help me change it to another subject that i did some catch-up work over the summer and in the last few months of year 10 for the subject that i REALLY want to change into. And my head of year, and other teachers said ''No.. it's too late'' and after when they said this i cried, got stressed and cried again more and i got anxiety. and is there any other advice or help to help change a subject/drop in year 11? Thank you everyone.

It's too late to switch subjects as it would be difficult to catch up with the missed content. Year 11 isn't very long as you're aware. Are you crying and stressed about Spanish because of the workload/find the subject difficult to grasp?
Original post by entertainmyfaith
maybe you could just drop spanish and not pick up the other subject? it's not really recommended for you to switch subjects a year in; catch up work may not be enough; what do you want to take instead of spanish?
are you crying and stressed because of the spanish workload etc or bc you're desperate to do this other subject?

i want to either take Sociology or Business Studies and yes i am crying and stressed because of the spanish workload and i'm desperate to do the other subject. :frown: and yes i think dropping is a good idea. and then i can revise for my other subjects. but my teachers said no/maybe but i'm really begging in in desperate need to drop it as soon as possible.
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by CoffeeAndPolitics
It's too late to switch subjects as it would be difficult to catch up with the missed content. Year 11 isn't very long as you're aware. Are you crying and stressed about Spanish because of the workload/find the subject difficult to grasp?

Yes i am crying and stressed about Spanish because of the workload and i think the subject is difficult for me.
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 5
Yes i am crying and stressed about Spanish because of the workload and i think the subject difficult for me.

Have you spoken to your teacher about how you're finding Spanish or even your parents about how you're finding Spanish? They might be able to give you some support. :smile:
Have you spoken to your teacher about how you're finding Spanish or even your parents about how you're finding Spanish? They might be able to give you some support. :smile:

Yes i did, and they asked me they would be giving me support. But when everytime i go into my spanish lessons i feel depressed, stressed and bored because of the content and subject in general. And yes i did spoke to my parents about spanish and they said they will speak to the school as soon as possible about it and the possibility of dropping the subject.
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 7
Yes i did, and they asked me they would be giving me support. But when everytime i go into my spanish lessons i feel depressed, stressed and bored because of the content and subject in general.

I see, it's good that you've spoken to someone about the situation. Have you asked about what you can do if you do drop Spanish but I imagine there would be little options unless you just do 1 less subject.
I see, it's good that you've spoken to someone about the situation. Have you asked about what you can do if you do drop Spanish but I imagine there would be little options unless you just do 1 less subject.

No not at the moment, i will talk about this in school tomorrow and i will talk to the teachers tomorrow and see, what they think about ''dropping'' spanish and i think it would be good and beneficial for me to do revision periods (IF i did Dropped Spanish successfully)
Reply 9
No not at the moment, i will talk about this in school tomorrow and i will talk to the teachers tomorrow and see, what they think about ''dropping'' spanish and i think it would be good and beneficial for me to do revision periods (IF i did Dropped Spanish successfully)

Ah. Keep having an on-going dialogue with the teachers at school tomorrow about this and see what happens. Good luck. :smile:
Ah. Keep having an on-going dialogue with the teachers at school tomorrow about this and see what happens. Good luck. :smile:

Thank you so much for your tip! and what happens if they say no again? is there any sentence/help starters that would help me to convince them that i really want to drop spanish?
Reply 11
Thank you so much for your tip! and what happens if they say no again? is there any sentence/help starters that would help me to convince them that i really want to drop spanish?

If they say no get your parents involved and take things from there.
If they say no get your parents involved and take things from there.

Ok Thanks for the help! :smile: and do you have any revisions tips/notes for GCSES? because when i revise i get scared and depressed and find it hard to revise.
Reply 13
Ok Thanks for the help! :smile: and do you have any revisions tips/notes for GCSES? because when i revise i get scared and depressed and find it hard to revise.

Not my revision tips but CoffeeGeek's has some amazing tips:

Be persistent.

Use the Pomodoro Technique (google it if you don't know), it is a really effective way of getting a lot of work done in a short amount of time.

Listen to some Focus music on Spotify or something to help you concentrate!

Be organised and neat with work so you can easily review it later when you need it.

If you're struggling, ask the teacher (or friends) or do some research by yourself on the internet to help you understand. Things like YouTube, BBC Bitesize et cetera...

Be creative with notes, don't just write them out, highlight important things to remember and keywords.

Don't just copy from a textbook, you won't understand (well I don't). Instead read the textbook then when you're making the notes try to put it into your own words, simplify it so it can be easier to comprehend.

I drank lots of caffeine (especially coffee because it is slow-release) during exam season to make me more alert and do stuff... quickly It actually helps most people but I wouldn't recommend drinking any quick-release caffeine or drinking it after noon because it is going to be hard to go to sleep.

On that note, get LOTS of sleep.

Also on that note, read your notes/textbook/work before you go to bed because it will be easier to remember.

Find out your learning style. You could be an audio learner, visual, kinesthetic... I am mostly a visual learner. Click hereto do a small test to find out what kind of learner you are

BIG tip. Plan ahead, if your going to do 2 hours of studying tomorrow make sure you do that, if you only manage to do 1 hour don't let that discourage you. You can always make up for it the next day, maybe the next day your planning to do 2 hours but since you missed out on 1 hour that day you add it on to make 3 hours. Just have that mindset and it will get you through it (like it did for me ).

Don't stress, more you do the more likely you are going to freak out mid-test and possibly fail.

Also check out Studytubers, Eve Bennett and Unjaded Jade who have excellent revision tips that will be of great use. :smile:
Not my revision tips but CoffeeGeek's has some amazing tips:

Be persistent.

Use the Pomodoro Technique (google it if you don't know), it is a really effective way of getting a lot of work done in a short amount of time.

Listen to some Focus music on Spotify or something to help you concentrate!

Be organised and neat with work so you can easily review it later when you need it.

If you're struggling, ask the teacher (or friends) or do some research by yourself on the internet to help you understand. Things like YouTube, BBC Bitesize et cetera...

Be creative with notes, don't just write them out, highlight important things to remember and keywords.

Don't just copy from a textbook, you won't understand (well I don't). Instead read the textbook then when you're making the notes try to put it into your own words, simplify it so it can be easier to comprehend.

I drank lots of caffeine (especially coffee because it is slow-release) during exam season to make me more alert and do stuff... quickly It actually helps most people but I wouldn't recommend drinking any quick-release caffeine or drinking it after noon because it is going to be hard to go to sleep.

On that note, get LOTS of sleep.

Also on that note, read your notes/textbook/work before you go to bed because it will be easier to remember.

Find out your learning style. You could be an audio learner, visual, kinesthetic... I am mostly a visual learner. Click hereto do a small test to find out what kind of learner you are

BIG tip. Plan ahead, if your going to do 2 hours of studying tomorrow make sure you do that, if you only manage to do 1 hour don't let that discourage you. You can always make up for it the next day, maybe the next day your planning to do 2 hours but since you missed out on 1 hour that day you add it on to make 3 hours. Just have that mindset and it will get you through it (like it did for me ).

Don't stress, more you do the more likely you are going to freak out mid-test and possibly fail.

Also check out Studytubers, Eve Bennett and Unjaded Jade who have excellent revision tips that will be of great use. :smile:

Thank you so much!! :smile:
Reply 15
Thank you so much!! :smile:

No worries. :smile:
No worries. :smile:

Also what do you mean by this quote? ''but I imagine there would be little options unless you just do 1 less subject. '' sorry if i'm being annoying and bothering you. :frown:
I’m dropping history this year (year 11 too eek) but not picking up another as there is no way I can learn 2 years worth of learning into 2 terms. Don’t do another subject just drop it as you will be even more stressed
i want to either take Sociology or Business Studies and yes i am crying and stressed because of the spanish workload and i'm desperate to do the other subject. :frown: and yes i think dropping is a good idea. and then i can revise for my other subjects. but my teachers said no/maybe but i'm really begging in in desperate need to drop it as soon as possible.

business may be possible in a year but it's new spec now. as said above, you need to be persistent w your teachers about the situation and hopefully something good'll come out of it

Also what do you mean by this quote? ''but I imagine there would be little options unless you just do 1 less subject. '' sorry if i'm being annoying and bothering you. :frown:

i think that he meant it may not be possible to do another subject that'll replace spanish.
Original post by pinkbacon1437
I’m dropping history this year (year 11 too eek) but not picking up another as there is no way I can learn 2 years worth of learning into 2 terms. Don’t do another subject just drop it as you will be even more stressed

Wow that's cool!! i was thinking of doing History in year 10. But i decided not to do History because there will be a huge workload, too much content to revise and it will be time consuming and hard.

Quick Reply

Latest